[net.tv] Amazing Stories, 11/3: ARRRRRGH!

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (11/04/85)

Was anyone (everyone?) as insulted as I was with the end of the Amazing
Stories that ran last night?  [This was The Mission, with the WWII bomber,
and well, you know how it ended...]

It really pissed me off!  I've never seen anything so f'n ridiculous in
my life!  I had thought of lots of better endings (tho none of them were
'amazing').

What is Spielberg trying to do?  The whole show had a Twilight Zone feel
to it, and then all of a sudden he pulls that ending on us!

'amazing' (from the verb amaze:) To affect with great surprise and wonder;
astonish.  (From the American Heritage Dictionary)

I was NOT amazed.

--Evan Marcus
--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

Who messed with my anti-paranoia shot?

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Colonel'K) (11/04/85)

Why don't you all stop complaining and watch MacGyver instead?
It's a little bit comic bookish, with dubious scientific "tricks",
but the dialogue is solidly written, and it's CONSISTENT.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any commentary on MacGyver in this
group, but then I think many of you have been too "lemmingized"
by the media about "Amazing (sic) Stories".

It's sort of a cross between Indiana Jones, James Bond, Doc Savage,
etc.  A little like a one-man A-Team without the childishness.
Not the best show in the world, but certainly entertaining, and
MUCH better than anything on Abusing Stories.  Yes, I saw "Mummy,
Daddy" and was considerably less than impressed.

				Scott Berry

fuji@ssc-vax.UUCP (Glen T Fujimori) (11/05/85)

> I was NOT amazed.
>
> --Evan Marcus
> --
> {ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
>                          ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

I second that...this was the first _Amazing_Stories_ episode I bothered
to watch (mainly because of the Spielberg hype by the network). I was half
expecting to see something from outer space rescue them (ala _Close_Encounters_)
but noooooo....(even that would have been better than the ending Spielberg
chose).
Glen Fujimori	Boeing Aerospace, Seattle, WA  (206) 251-0197
ihnp4!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!fuji

edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (11/06/85)

In article <692@hou2g.UUCP>, scott@hou2g.UUCP (Colonel'K) writes:
> Why don't you all stop complaining and watch MacGyver instead?
>
> 				Scott Berry

	I didn't like VEGA$ the first time it was on. (Assuming that
MacGyver is the show with Robert Ulrich in it. I *NEVER* watch ABC!)

--
Edward C. Bennett

UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward

/* A charter member of the Scooter bunch */

"Goodnight M.A."

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (11/06/85)

To quote The Who, another one bites the dust.  After keeping us on
the edge for the last 20 minutes, to suddenly pull something like
that out of his (you pick the word) is unpardonable.  There are
less insulting things on TV at that time, like test patterns.

                            NO HUSTLERS, DRUGS, BAGS
                          CAMERAS OR ANIMALS.  PICTURE
                             ID AND SHOES REQUIRED.
                               ONE DRINK MINIMUM.

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (11/07/85)

In article <541@petfe.UUCP> evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
>Was anyone (everyone?) as insulted as I was with the end of the Amazing
>Stories that ran last night?  [This was The Mission, with the WWII bomber,
>and well, you know how it ended...]
>I was NOT amazed.

I was - that even Spielberg would put such an asinine ending to an
otherwise excellent episode.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

waynet@tolerant.UUCP (Wayne Thompson) (11/08/85)

> Why don't you all stop complaining and watch MacGyver instead?
> It's a little bit comic bookish, with dubious scientific "tricks",
> but the dialogue is solidly written, and it's CONSISTENT.
>
> I'm surprised I haven't seen any commentary on MacGyver in this
> group, but then I think many of you have been too "lemmingized"
> by the media about "Amazing (sic) Stories".
>
> It's sort of a cross between Indiana Jones, James Bond, Doc Savage,
> etc.  A little like a one-man A-Team without the childishness.
> Not the best show in the world, but certainly entertaining, and
> MUCH better than anything on Abusing Stories.  Yes, I saw "Mummy,
> Daddy" and was considerably less than impressed.
>
> 				Scott Berry

I think I speak for many in saying we're all watching Amazing Stories
not so much for what has gone before, but, what we're all hoping will
come.
--
Wayne Thompson
..(mordor,ucbvax)!tolerant!waynet

source .disclaimer

brown@nicmad.UUCP (11/08/85)

In article <58@hadron.UUCP> klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:
>To quote The Who, another one bites the dust.

Sorry, but the group was Queen.
--

Mr. Video   {seismo!uwvax|decvax|ihnp4}!nicmad!brown

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Colonel'K) (11/11/85)

>> I'm surprised I haven't seen any commentary on MacGyver in this
>> group, but then I think many of you have been too "lemmingized"
>> by the media about "Amazing (sic) Stories".

>I think I speak for many in saying we're all watching Amazing Stories
>not so much for what has gone before, but, what we're all hoping will
>come.

Apparantly my point above is proven.  What makes you think, after 6
or 7 weeks, that anything worth waiting for is coming, hmm?

			Scott J. Berry