[net.tv] Captain Harlock

cc-30@ucbcory.BERKELEY.EDU (Sean "Yoda" Rouse) (10/30/85)

As I've spent my past two hours catching up on old news it seems that
not too many people out there know that Captain Harlock is in release.

Captain Harlock is being shown in the bay area on channel 36 at 4:30pm
on weekdays under the title "Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand
Years". Yes, it is being distributed by Harmony Gold, and yes it is a
combination of Captain Harlock and Queen Millenia(sp?).

If you have never seen Captain Harlock or seens from it, and you have
watched Macross, Sothern Cross, and Mospeoda (i.e. Robotech), be warned
Captain Harlock is done in a different animation style from Robotech.
Some friends of mine who liked Robotech thought that Harlock would be
just like it, since the advertisements up here said "From the same people
who brought you Robotech." They thought that meant the same animators, but
when they saw different, they didn't like it. Unfortunately, I haven't had
the chance to see too many Harlocks, so I don't know how well Harmony Gold
combined the two series. Hopefully they've done a good job.

                                       Sean "Yoda" Rouse

ins_atrh@jhunix.UUCP (Thomas Richard Holtz) (11/07/85)

In article <10844@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> cc-30@ucbcory.UUCP (Sean "Yoda" Rouse) writes:
>As I've spent my past two hours catching up on old news it seems that
>not too many people out there know that Captain Harlock is in release.

You're darn right not many of us know it's out.  Have (any of) you heard
when (or if) it will be coming to the East Coast, preferably the Baltimore
D.C. area.  I've always liked Harlock, and my girlfriend is a fanatic
about the pirate AND Queen Millenia.

>Captain Harlock is being shown in the bay area on channel 36 at 4:30pm
>on weekdays under the title "Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand
>Years". Yes, it is being distributed by Harmony Gold, and yes it is a
>combination of Captain Harlock and Queen Millenia(sp?).
>
>If you have never seen Captain Harlock or seens from it, and you have
>watched Macross, Sothern Cross, and Mospeoda (i.e. Robotech), be warned
>Captain Harlock is done in a different animation style from Robotech.
>Some friends of mine who liked Robotech thought that Harlock would be
>just like it, since the advertisements up here said "From the same people
>who brought you Robotech." They thought that meant the same animators, but
>when they saw different, they didn't like it. Unfortunately, I haven't had
>the chance to see too many Harlocks, so I don't know how well Harmony Gold
>combined the two series. Hopefully they've done a good job.
>
>                                       Sean "Yoda" Rouse

P.S.  To all you Japanamation Fen out there:  please post a message
about ANY new things (in English or otherwise) to come to America,
so that the rest of us can go out and find it.
(I've got to see this Harlock stuff.  If you've ever seen the older
English translations of it, you'll know why some of us call it
"Captain Hardup:  Space Pervert".)

fung@daemen.UUCP (Kenneth Worzel Fung) (11/13/85)

> If you have never seen Captain Harlock or seens from it, and you have
> watched Macross, Sothern Cross, and Mospeoda (i.e. Robotech), be warned
> Captain Harlock is done in a different animation style from Robotech.
> who brought you Robotech." They thought that meant the same animators, but
> when they saw different, they didn't like it. Unfortunately, I haven't had
> the chance to see too many Harlocks, so I don't know how well Harmony Gold
> combined the two series. Hopefully they've done a good job.
>
>                                        Sean "Yoda" Rouse

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR ARCADIA ***

	The first Robotech series (Macross, Southerrn Cross, Mospeada) was
	released by Tatsinoko Films in 1983-4. Captain Harlock was done in
	the mid-1970 by Reiji Matsamoto, the same person who did Space Cruiser
	Yamato in 1976. [Yamato is over a decade old in the running. Only the
	first two seasons, and the third is ready for release, were redubbed
	into english for the US.] Queen Millenia was done in 1981-2 again by
	Reiji Matsamoto. Matsamoto has no obivious ties with the Tatsinoko
	Studios. The reason for the animation difference is time. In its time,
	Harlock was, and still is big, because of its story-line. It didn't
	have the modern state-of-the-art animation like Tatsinoko has now. All
	in all each show is done differently, and you should keep that in mind.
--
          		Kenneth "Worzel" Fung

		"For the Eternal Space--Mobile Suit Gundam"

UUCP : {decvax/dual/rocksanne/watmath/rocksvax} !sunybcs!daemen!fung

	"...to be destroyed by an Earthling, a mere girl, an American even,
	would make him the laughing stock of the Universe!"