[net.tv] Robotech

susan@lmef.UUCP (susan) (10/25/85)

Salutations!

	Has anyone ever heard of   Robotech?
It just recently started playing here in the afternoons, and....
I'm hooked.

Some questions I have:

	1. Is it new
	2. Does it come in comic-book form (if so, where can I
	   get it?)
	3. Does anyone watch it beside me...has anyone HEARD of it
	   besides me?

	I would love to hear from anyone having ANY info on this
	animated sf series.

	A lonely Micronian & Centratti fan....(sp may be wrong)

*susan*

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (10/29/85)

In article <149@lmef.UUCP> susan@lmef.UUCP (susan) writes:
>	Has anyone ever heard of   Robotech?
>It just recently started playing here in the afternoons, and....
>I'm hooked.
>
>Some questions I have:
>
>	1. Is it new
>	2. Does it come in comic-book form (if so, where can I
>	   get it?)
>	3. Does anyone watch it beside me...has anyone HEARD of it
>	   besides me?

1)) It's new in THIS country; it is a translation of (I gather) a three-
    part Japanese series; Macross (What I'm seeing here in NYC metro
    on Sat mornings 7:30AM; having to get up w/ toddlers on weekends
    has its advantages :-) ), Southern Cross, and Orguss.  It has been
    reviewed somewhat in net.comics; general opinion is that it is
    probably the best of the 'giant robot' cartoon series brought over
    from Japan.

2)) Yes, it IS available in comic form; the closing credits for the
    episodes I see say as much.  However, since the publisher (Comico)
    is one of the independents, you probably have to find a comics
    specialty shop in order to get them.  I have seen three titles
    on the shelves; 'Robotech - The Macross Saga', 'Robotech Masters'
    and 'Robotech - The New Age (?)'.  Try an inquiry in net.comics
    about mail-order or where you might find it locally.

3)) As I said, getting up with little ones on weekends has its pluses. :-)

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {decvax, ucbvax, most Action Central}!vax135\
		       	 {topaz, pesnta, princeton}!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724	DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote:"BOO! We changed Coke again! BLEAH! BLEAH!" - The Boogums, 'Bloom County'

jody@inuxd.UUCP (JoLinda Ross) (10/29/85)

> Salutations!
>
> 	Has anyone ever heard of   Robotech?
> It just recently started playing here in the afternoons, and....
> I'm hooked.
>
> Some questions I have:
>
> 	1. Is it new
> 	2. Does it come in comic-book form (if so, where can I
> 	   get it?)
> 	3. Does anyone watch it beside me...has anyone HEARD of it
> 	   besides me?
>
> 	I would love to hear from anyone having ANY info on this
> 	animated sf series.
>
> 	A lonely Micronian & Centratti fan....(sp may be wrong)
>
> *susan*

I don't know how old the series is, but I saw it in Hawaii in May
and June of this year.  It seeme to me that I came in on the middle
of the story.  Even so I became hooked very quickly, and was upset
because I could not see them all (Robotech is not show in Indpls.).
That is all I know about it; I hope it helps.

                                              Joland
                                 Old English for "land of the sunrise"

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (Mike Ciaraldi) (10/31/85)

> Salutations!
>
> 	Has anyone ever heard of   Robotech?
> It just recently started playing here in the afternoons, and....
> I'm hooked.
>
> Some questions I have:
>
> 	1. Is it new
> 	2. Does it come in comic-book form (if so, where can I
> 	   get it?)
> 	3. Does anyone watch it beside me...has anyone HEARD of it
> 	   besides me?
>
> 	I would love to hear from anyone having ANY info on this
> 	animated sf series.
>
> 	A lonely Micronian & Centratti fan....(sp may be wrong)
>
> *susan*

Aha! Robotech strikes again!

This has shown up in net.comics before, but the basic answers to your questions are
the following:
1) Robotech is actually three Japanese animated series from the same
   company, reshuffled somwhat and dubbed into English by an American
   company, Harmony Gold.  The three Japanese sereis were called
   MACROSS, SOUTHERN CROSS, and MOSPEADA.  Two were in the same
   "universe" and the other wasn't, but has been rescripted to make
   it compatible.
   They are considered quite good examples of Japanimation.
   Each of the series has roughly 30 epsiodes, for a total of
   about 90.  As rescripted into English, the 3 series relate like this:

   Macross is the first.  It concerns an alien spaceship which crashed
   on Earth a long time ago.  Earthlings finally figure out how to
   run it, and are just getting it ready for its first flight
   when the Zentraedi arrive.  The ship (called SDF-1 for "Space
   Defense Fortress", I think) comes to life and attacks
   the aliens, and the Earthlings are plunged into battle.

   20 years later, aliens attack again, and again Earthlings in
   battle armor and convertible vehicles defend the Earth.
   I don't know whwere the term "Southern Cross" fits in,
   but I remember a reference to "The Army of the Southern Cross".

   Another 20 years later (I think), there is another invasion,
   and the Earth is overwhelmed.  As Mospeada opens, our hero crashlands
   in Central America and has to make his way to the former USA
   and Earth HQ.  As I understand it, there is less space battle
   in this one.

2) Comico--The Comic Company is publishing the entire Robotech series
   in comic book form (there is a line in the closing credits to
   that effect).  They are publishing it as three interlocking series.
   ROBOTECH--The MACROSS SAGA covers the first set of episodes,
   ROBOTECH MASTERS is the middle set, and ROBOTECH--THE NEW GENERATION
   is the final set.

   Because the whole series is so long, and being shown at different
   rates in different parts of the country, the comics publishing
   sachedule is a little funny.  Each of the 3 series publishes a
   new issue every 6 weeks (nominally, anyway), staggered so a
   new episode hits the stores every 2 weeks.
   Each series does its 30 or so consecuitve epsiodes in the same number
   (i.e. 30 or so) of issues.

   So, Macross Saga has about 6 issues out so far (the very first issue
   was called simply MACROSS, without "Robotech"), adapting the first
   6 episoded.  Masters has about 3 issues, adapting the first 3 episodes
   of Southern Cross, or what appears to the unsuspecting TV viewer
   as episodes 31-33 of Robotech, and New Generation similarly has
   aboyut 3 issues out.

   So, where do you get them?  Comico I think sells only throughj
   comics stores and certain magazine stores, not regular newsstands
   or 7-11's.  All three series are also avaialble from Comico
   by subscription, or from comics stores that sell mail order.
   If your local comics shop doesnt have back issues, try a biggie
   like Bud Plant in CA.

3) Does anyone else watch them?  I habve been reading all the issues,
   but finally last week saw my very first episode, discussed in
   the next news item.

I hope this was helpful, and I hope I didn't get too many facts
wrong, since I did this all from memory.

Mike Ciaraldi
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

john@birtch.UUCP (John Pipkins x257) (11/02/85)

> Salutations!
>
> 	Has anyone ever heard of   Robotech?
> It just recently started playing here in the afternoons, and....
> I'm hooked.
>
> Some questions I have:
>
> 	1. Is it new

	No! I've seen the entire series from the centrani (sp) to the invids(sp)
	and it ended in July or some past time.

> 	2. Does it come in comic-book form (if so, where can I
> 	   get it?)

	I don't know. But Heavy Metal magazine (I got them all except issue #2,
	May 1977, because it wasn't available on the west coast) offers a
	video tape (perhaps more) for 39.95. (Heavy Metal, Dept. 985, 635 Madi-
	son Ave., New York, NY, 10032).

> 	3. Does anyone watch it beside me...has anyone HEARD of it
> 	   besides me?

	I have and consider it the best animated series on Los Angeles TV in
	many years.  All the elements I want in that type of series is present.

> 	I would love to hear from anyone having ANY info on this
> 	animated sf series.

	Me too.  Reply via E-mail or here.

> 	A lonely Micronian & Centratti fan....(sp may be wrong)
>
> *susan*

		John Pipkins
		...!trwrb!scgvaxd!felix!birtch!john

fung@daemen.UUCP (Kenneth Worzel Fung) (11/13/85)

> Some questions I have:
>
> 	1. Is it new
		Not really. Robotech was the product of an American company;
	Harmony Gold; marketing 3 Japanese Animation shows called: Super Dimen-
	sional Fortess Macross, The Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber
	Mospeada. All of these shows were produced in 1983-4 by Tasinoko Films.
	The only link that Harmony Gold binds these stories together, is some-
	thing called "protoculture". Macross was the only show to mention this,
	and its definition can be foound in any dictionary/sociology book.

> 	2. Does it come in comic-book form (if so, where can I
> 	   get it?)
		Yes it does come in Comic Book form. It is put out by a comic
	company called Comico. There is also the first three episodes out on
	commercial tape called Macross by Harmony Gold.

> 	3. Does anyone watch it beside me...has anyone HEARD of it
> 	   besides me?
		If I didn't watch it, how would I know about it. Anyways, I was
	watching the original (and better at most times) animation a long time
	before Harmony Gold started to release their version. I'm not knocking
	Harmony Gold or anything, but they could use a little less narration,
	an more of the original plotline. If you ever heard of the CF/O or any
	of the Animation Fanclubs through-out the US and beyond, get in touch
	with them, there's a bigger fan-following world out there than you can
	imagine.

> 	A lonely Micronian & Centratti fan....(sp may be wrong)
		Oh, It's Zentradi by the way.

--
          		Kenneth "Worzel" Fung

		"For the Eternal Space--Mobile Suit Gundam"

UUCP : {decvax/dual/rocksanne/watmath/rocksvax} !sunybcs!daemen!fung

	"...to be destroyed by an Earthling, a mere girl, an American even,
	would make him the laughing stock of the Universe!"

fung@daemen.UUCP (Kenneth Worzel Fung) (11/14/85)

>     has its advantages :-) ), Southern Cross, and Orguss.  It has been

	You mean Mospeada. Super-Dimensional Century Orguss was done by
	(I think) Nippon Sunrise. The only connection between Orguss and
	Macross is that Orguss was done by two of the three original artists.
	Incidentally, Orguss 2, a professional tape done by the original crew,
	was to premiere sometime this month.

>     on the shelves; 'Robotech - The Macross Saga', 'Robotech Masters'
>     and 'Robotech - The New Age (?)'.

	Actually, the third comic is: Robotech- The New Generation
--

ins_atrh@jhunix.UUCP (Thomas Richard Holtz) (11/15/85)

In article <1380@daemen.UUCP> fung@daemen.UUCP (Kenneth Worzel Fung) writes:

>> 	A lonely Micronian & Centratti fan....(sp may be wrong)
>		Oh, It's Zentradi by the way.
>>
>--
>          		Kenneth "Worzel" Fung
                       Oh, by the way, its "Worsel", old snake.

"Wait, Kodai.  Don't fire the Wave-Motion Gun.  You might hit Iscandar!"