[net.tv] Cliff Notes on Hill Street Blues

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (10/29/85)

Two things on last week's Hill Street:

Anyone noticed that part of the opening credits, with the
ever-vivid shots of the police cars patrolling the streets, is shot
in black & white (or at least with very dull color)?  I don't
remember that being true last year.

And remember all those arguments we had last year pertaining to
where Hill Street actually takes place?  Solved last week.  Mick is
knocked unconscious and placed in a duffle bag, which is shipped
by bus to Springfield, Ill.  His trek takes place in the morning, and
he reaches Springfield by noon, and returns to the city that the Hill
resides in by evening, in time to put the bite (!) on the perpatrator.
Thus, which city does HSB take place in?  You have 10 minutes...

Chicago.

Dum-da-DUM-DUM....

                        "Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain.
                         He died in Washington, D.C."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty

rlp@cbosgd.UUCP (Bob Platt) (10/30/85)

In article <2854@vax4.fluke.UUCP>, moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
> And remember all those arguments we had last year pertaining to
> where Hill Street actually takes place?  Solved last week.  Mick is
> knocked unconscious and placed in a duffle bag, which is shipped
> by bus to Springfield, Ill.  His trek takes place in the morning, and
> he reaches Springfield by noon, and returns to the city that the Hill
> resides in by evening, in time to put the bite (!) on the perpatrator.
> Thus, which city does HSB take place in?  You have 10 minutes...
>
> Chicago.

I believe, they said "Springfield", not "Springfield, Ill.",
My copy of Webster's lists:

	Springfield, Ill.
	Springfield, Mass.
	Springfield, Mo.
	Springfield, Oh.
	Springfield, Ore.
--
         +----+			R. L. Platt
        /|   /|			AT&T Bell Laboratories
       | +--|-+
       |/   |/			cbosgd!rlp
       +----+			(614) 860-4850

   "They say it's automatic, but actually you have to push this button"

render@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/30/85)

moriarty writes:
> And remember all those arguments we had last year pertaining to
> where Hill Street actually takes place?  Solved last week.  Mick is
> knocked unconscious and placed in a duffle bag, which is shipped
> by bus to Springfield, Ill.  His trek takes place in the morning, and
> he reaches Springfield by noon, and returns to the city that the Hill
> resides in by evening, in time to put the bite (!) on the perpatrator.
> Thus, which city does HSB take place in?  You have 10 minutes...

I watched the episode in question, and I did not hear anyone say Springfield
ILLINOIS.  There are cities named Springfield in several states, including
one in Massachusetts which could be reached from either Boston or NYC in less
than a day's time.  I don't want this to start another round of "What city is
HSB really set in?", however, so I will admit that much of the opening was
shot in Chicago, with clips from various other cities interspersed.  I do
wonder at times about the pathological need of netters to explain every single
detail of a fictional setting.  Remember folks, it ain't real.

                                     Hal Render
                                     University of Illinois
                                     {pur-ee, ihnp4} ! uiucdcs ! render
                                     render@uiuc.csnet     render@uiuc.arpa

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (10/31/85)

> I watched the episode in question, and I did not hear anyone say Springfield
> ILLINOIS.

Yes, but I also heard the names Elgin and Evanston mentioned, all cities
near Chicago. Along with the shots of the "el" in the opening, that's good
enough for me.

Phil

wiso@ihwpt.UUCP (Jack Wisowaty) (11/01/85)

> > And remember all those arguments we had last year pertaining to
> > where Hill Street actually takes place?  Solved last week.  Mick is
> > knocked unconscious and placed in a duffle bag, which is shipped
> > by bus to Springfield, Ill.  His trek takes place in the morning, and
> > he reaches Springfield by noon, and returns to the city that the Hill
> > resides in by evening, in time to put the bite (!) on the perpatrator.
> > Thus, which city does HSB take place in?  You have 10 minutes...
>
> I watched the episode in question, and I did not hear anyone say Springfield
> ILLINOIS.  There are cities named Springfield in several states, including
> one in Massachusetts which could be reached from either Boston or NYC in less
> than a day's time.  I don't want this to start another round of "What city is
> HSB really set in?", however, so I will admit that much of the opening was
> shot in Chicago, with clips from various other cities interspersed.  I do
> wonder at times about the pathological need of netters to explain every single
> detail of a fictional setting.  Remember folks, it ain't real.

What makes this discussion interesting is that the producers of HSB seem to
be toying with us.  It was absolutely clear that they intended us to get
the Chicago reference in this episode.  Yes there are a number of
Springfields around, but how many of them have local buses arriving from
Evanston, Glen Ellyn, and Elgin, as this bus was announced on its arrival?
Only Chicago, I trust.  But even after they gave this incredibly blatant
"hint" they refuse to come out say Chicago and instead just call it the
City.  I don't think a discussion of this running gag that the producers
are playing is pathological.  They obviously intended us to make inferences
about the location or they wouldn't keep throwing these tidbits in.  So cut
us some slack if we want to play along with the game.

Jack Wisowaty
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, IL

cal@pyramid.UUCP (Craig Levin) (11/01/85)

But if you looked closely at the package thrown on Mick while he
was in the bus luggage compartment.  It specified Springfield, XX,
on the address.  Unfortunately I do not remember what XX was.
Did anyone tape this episode?

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/01/85)

> And remember all those arguments we had last year pertaining to
> where Hill Street actually takes place?  Solved last week.  Mick is
> knocked unconscious and placed in a duffle bag, which is shipped
> by bus to Springfield, Ill.  His trek takes place in the morning, and
> he reaches Springfield by noon, and returns to the city that the Hill
> resides in by evening, in time to put the bite (!) on the perpatrator.
> Thus, which city does HSB take place in?  You have 10 minutes...
>
> Chicago.

The show never said Ill. They just said Springfield. It could have been
Springfield Mass.

But having lived in Chicago I vote for Chicago anyway. What other Large
city has L trains and serves 'Old Style" beer?

notch@srcsip.UUCP (Michael k Notch) (11/03/85)

In article <12300044@uiucdcsb> render@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>moriarty writes:
>> And remember all those arguments we had last year pertaining to
>> where Hill Street actually takes place?  Solved last week.  Mick is
>> knocked unconscious and placed in a duffle bag, which is shipped
>> by bus to Springfield, Ill.  His trek takes place in the morning, and
>> he reaches Springfield by noon, and returns to the city that the Hill
>> resides in by evening, in time to put the bite (!) on the perpatrator.
>> Thus, which city does HSB take place in?  You have 10 minutes...

Either I missed something or I don not understand the dicussion, but as far
as I know, HSB is in New Yok City.
--
    This posting is just an illusion. Nothing here is real.

    But...   What about Naomi?

USENET:   ihnp4!umn-cs!srcsip!notch
US-SMAIL: Michael k Notch (The small k is on purpose)
	   Honeywell Inc.  Minneapolis, Minnesota  55440
	   MN17-2349  SIP/SRC/MVT   [1-612-378-5338]
--

moose@ames.UUCP (Mary Kaiser) (11/05/85)

> In article <2854@vax4.fluke.UUCP>, moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
> > And remember all those arguments we had last year pertaining to
> > where Hill Street actually takes place?  Solved last week....
> > Chicago.
>
> I believe, they said "Springfield", not "Springfield, Ill.",
> My copy of Webster's lists:
>
> 	Springfield, Ill.
> 	Springfield, Mass.
> 	Springfield, Mo.
> 	Springfield, Oh.
> 	Springfield, Ore.

Yes, my first response was "how clever to use Springfield, since practically
every state has one", but then some of the packages on the bus were clearly
marked Springfield, ILL !!!!  The problem with placing HSB in Chicago, is that
this doesn't jive with some previous information, e.g.:

In the first or second season, Davenport was upset about a case and so drove
to "the coast" to think things over (she was back in a few hours).  Now, I
don't know anyone from Chicago who calls their lakefront "the coast".  (The
North Coast?)

The precinct and street names don't jive with Chicago's layout, not to mention
problems with city government figures (yes, Chicago has a Black mayor, but
Harold Washington is nothing like Ozzie Cleveland, except they both share
names with presidents and cities...something that Renko once noted about
as I recall).

It's interesting that HSB has tried so hard to keep their locale anonymous
while other series are rife with location information (Cagney & Lacey go
so far as to show "Welcome to Queens" signs, etc.).  I've heard hypotheses
that HSB is in Pittsburgh (since Bochco and many HSB actors are Carnegie-
Mellon grads), and of course New York and Chicago.  Anyway, my only
certainty is that it's not L.A., Tacoma, or Omaha.

pape@sjuvax.UUCP (M. Pape) (11/06/85)

In article <1572@cbosgd.UUCP> rlp@cbosgd.UUCP writes:
>In article <2854@vax4.fluke.UUCP>, moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>> And remember all those arguments we had last year pertaining to
>> where Hill Street actually takes place?  Solved last week.  Mick is
>> knocked unconscious and placed in a duffle bag, which is shipped
>> by bus to Springfield, Ill.  His trek takes place in the morning, and
>> he reaches Springfield by noon, and returns to the city that the Hill
>> resides in by evening, in time to put the bite (!) on the perpatrator.
>> Thus, which city does HSB take place in?  You have 10 minutes...
>>
>> Chicago.
>
>I believe, they said "Springfield", not "Springfield, Ill.",
>My copy of Webster's lists:
>
>	Springfield, Ill.
>	Springfield, Mass.
>	Springfield, Mo.
>	Springfield, Oh.
>	Springfield, Ore.
>--
>         +----+			R. L. Platt
>        /|   /|			AT&T Bell Laboratories
>       +-|--+ |			Columbus, Ohio
>       | +--|-+
>       |/   |/			cbosgd!rlp
>       +----+			(614) 860-4850
>
>   "They say it's automatic, but actually you have to push this button"

I'm not to sure about this but I seem to remember, from a couple of years
back, that whem St. Elsewhere was premeriering(sp?) it was shown right after
HSB. and to introduce it to tv land, they incorporated it into HSB.  During
the HSB episode, an accident occured and when the ambulance arrived the driver
said that they were taking the victim to St. Eligus Hospital, which we all know
is located in Boston.
Forgive me if this is not the correct story, it was told to me by a friend.

                       Morgan Pape

black@unc.UUCP (Samuel Black) (11/09/85)

> In article <2854@vax4.fluke.UUCP>, moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>
> I believe, they said "Springfield", not "Springfield, Ill.",
> My copy of Webster's lists:
>
> 	Springfield, Ill.
> 	Springfield, Mass.
> 	Springfield, Mo.
> 	Springfield, Oh.
> 	Springfield, Ore.

Several years ago, I went through the World Book and found that
28 states have a Springfield (it may be more, now).  But we also
know for a fact that Hill Street takes place in the midwest because
of the "Old Style" beer signs.  Chicago seems likely because of the
elevated railway.

----------------------------------

	When I die,
		I'm going to leave my body to science fiction.

	...!{decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!unc!black	(usenet)
	black%unc@csnet-relay.csnet		(arpanet)

----------------------------------

hxe@rayssd.UUCP (Heather Emanuel) (11/16/85)

> And remember all those arguments we had last year pertaining to
> where Hill Street actually takes place?  Solved last week.  Mick is
> knocked unconscious and placed in a duffle bag, which is shipped
> by bus to Springfield, Ill.  His trek takes place in the morning, and
> he reaches Springfield by noon, and returns to the city that the Hill
> resides in by evening, in time to put the bite (!) on the perpatrator.
> Thus, which city does HSB take place in?  You have 10 minutes...
> Chicago.

Wait a minute.  Did it actually *say* Illinois on the duffle bag?
I looked for it but didn't see any mention of a state, and there's
a Springfield in almost every state in the US.  Just asking....

--
--Heather Emanuel {allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, raybed2} rayssd!hxe
   I don't think my company *has* an opinion, so the ones in this

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/22/85)

> And remember all those arguments we had last year pertaining to
> where Hill Street actually takes place?  Solved last week.  Mick is
> knocked unconscious and placed in a duffle bag, which is shipped
> by bus to Springfield, Ill.  His trek takes place in the morning, and
> he reaches Springfield by noon, and returns to the city that the Hill
> resides in by evening, in time to put the bite (!) on the perpatrator.
> Thus, which city does HSB take place in?  You have 10 minutes...
>
> Chicago.

There are several large cities close to Springfield. Depending on how long the
trip was (I haven't seen the episode), some possibilities are: St. Louis,
Indianapolis, Cincinati and Kansas City. Note that St. Louis and Indianapolis
are CLOSER than Chicago.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"A flash in front of my eyes ... I blink ... open my eyes to ... discover I am
 a dog in a pickup truck full of garbage ... no one but me sees the lid blow
 off the can ... it's 14 miles to the dump ... this is ... at last ... heaven."