[net.tv] Computer Animation in Amazing Stories - Nov. 3

davidl@teklds.UUCP (David Levine) (11/06/85)

In article <2114@reed.UUCP> agb@reed.UUCP (Alexander G. Burchell) writes:
>BTW, who does the (truly Amazing) computer graphics that start out each
>episode?  I was quite impressed with the realistic surface textures and was
>especially amazed by the knight in shining armor.

I don't know, although the credits say the titles were designed by Ron Cobb
(who is an artist, not a computer person).  Is the caveman Ray Walston, or just
someone who looks a whole lot like him?

The one thing that amazed me about the Amazing Stories episode "The Mission"
is the computer graphics, which were so good that nobody on the net has even
mentioned them!

By "so good nobody has mentioned them", I mean that they didn't bite you on
the nose and say "Hi!  We're COMPUTER GRAPHICS!  Aren't we NEAT?!?!"  They were
good enough that if you don't recognize the hallmarks of computer graphics, you
would never have spotted them.  I wonder who did them.

Come to think of it, I'm not completely certain which scenes were computer-
animated.  I know the scene of the plane landing was.  I'm fairly certain the
shot of the debris heading toward the ball-turret gunner and the shot of the
balloon tire extruding from the wing were.  I'm almost ready to believe that
every scene containing the baloon tires (even those with human actors) was
computer-animated.

However, this doesn't save the episode from its deus-ex-Disney ending.  The
episode fails dramatically (for me) because it spent 50 minutes building a
gritty, nasty, realistic WWII reality, then violated it completely for the sake
of a happy ending.  I mean, Spielberg broke the rules he'd worked so hard to
establish.  Ever read a story called "The Cold Equations?"  That was more
dramatically consistent (although depressing, and therefore anathema to
Spielberg).

After seeing this episode, my S.O. told me to remind her never to watch
Amazing Stories again.  It was that galling.  So, Tuesday I skip it, and after
it's over S.O. says "Guess what?  You missed a GOOD Amazing Stories!"  TANJ
(There Ain't No Justice)!

David D. Levine       (...decvax!tektronix!teklds!davidl)    [UUCP]
                      (teklds!davidl.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA/CSNET]

rick@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/09/85)

In article <1231@teklds.UUCP> davidl@teklds.UUCP (David Levine) writes:
>In article <2114@reed.UUCP> agb@reed.UUCP (Alexander G. Burchell) writes:
>>BTW, who does the (truly Amazing) computer graphics that start out each
>>episode?  I was quite impressed with the realistic surface textures and was
>>especially amazed by the knight in shining armor.
>
>I don't know, although the credits say the titles were designed by Ron Cobb
>(who is an artist, not a computer person).

I believe that the intro was done at Robert Abel & Associates in Hollywood.
That's what they claimed when I was there in August, anyway. I think Abel is
on the net, maybe they can confirm this.
--
   Rick Gillespie
      ARPANET:	rick@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

waynet@tolerant.UUCP (Wayne Thompson) (11/11/85)

> In article <2114@reed.UUCP> agb@reed.UUCP (Alexander G. Burchell) writes:
> The one thing that amazed me about the Amazing Stories episode "The Mission"
> is the computer graphics, which were so good that nobody on the net has even
> mentioned them!
> David D. Levine       (...decvax!tektronix!teklds!davidl)    [UUCP]

I thought the computer graphics were laughably obvious, thus my reference
to 'Amazing Big Cartoon Wheels. BTW, If the debris was CA i missed it.

>                       (teklds!davidl.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA/CSNET]

Wayne Thompson
..(mordor,ucbvax)!tolerant!waynet

source .disclaimer

sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) (11/12/85)

In article <1231@teklds.UUCP>, davidl@teklds.UUCP (David Levine) writes:
> However, this doesn't save the episode from its deus-ex-Disney ending.  The
> episode fails dramatically (for me) because it spent 50 minutes building a
> gritty, nasty, realistic WWII reality, then violated it completely for the sake
> of a happy ending.  I mean, Spielberg broke the rules he'd worked so hard to
> establish.  Ever read a story called "The Cold Equations?"  That was more
> dramatically consistent (although depressing, and therefore anathema to
> Spielberg).
>

> David D. Levine       (...decvax!tektronix!teklds!davidl)    [UUCP]
>                       (teklds!davidl.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA/CSNET]

Personally, I liked this episode. After watching 50 minutes (or 55 as some
have said) of this crew facing death, the last thing I really wanted to see
was the bellygunner die. Why spend an hour on a show, showing the anquish of
a person facing death, and then die a bloody death. This show is called
"Amazing Stories" and I want something amazing to happen. If I want complete
reality (as far a TV can present it) I can wait till Monday and watch one
of NBC's Heart Wrencher of the Week movies.

I was expecting Spielberg to come up with a more realistic way to save the
bellygunner, but feel Spielberg stayed true to his personal style. Just
about everything he directs espouses magic of this kind. Look at E.T.
and Close Encounters for the best examples. Remember, the show is called
"Amazing Stories", not "Amazing True To Life Stories", and is supposed to be
fantasy. Without the ending, the episode would have had no fantasy.

						Scott A. Stewart
						LMSC - Sunnyvale

P.S. I also liked the show on November 11. It was fun and enjoyable. I felt
that the Hitchcock episode after it was pointless and irresponsible. Why was
the story even made?

jim@sivax.UUCP (Jim Boman) (11/26/85)

> In article <1231@teklds.UUCP>, davidl@teklds.UUCP (David Levine) writes:
> > However, this doesn't save the episode from its deus-ex-Disney ending.  The
> > episode fails dramatically (for me) because it spent 50 minutes building a
> > gritty, nasty, realistic WWII reality, then violated it completely for the sake
> > of a happy ending.  I mean, Spielberg broke the rules he'd worked so hard to
> > establish.  Ever read a story called "The Cold Equations?"  That was more
> > dramatically consistent (although depressing, and therefore anathema to
> > Spielberg).
> >

> > David D. Levine       (...decvax!tektronix!teklds!davidl)    [UUCP]
> >                       (teklds!davidl.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA/CSNET]
>
> Personally, I liked this episode. After watching 50 minutes (or 55 as some
> have said) of this crew facing death, the last thing I really wanted to see
> was the bellygunner die. Why spend an hour on a show, showing the anquish of
> a person facing death, and then die a bloody death. This show is called
> "Amazing Stories" and I want something amazing to happen. If I want complete
> reality (as far a TV can present it) I can wait till Monday and watch one
> of NBC's Heart Wrencher of the Week movies.
>
> I was expecting Spielberg to come up with a more realistic way to save the
> bellygunner, but feel Spielberg stayed true to his personal style. Just
> about everything he directs espouses magic of this kind. Look at E.T.
> and Close Encounters for the best examples. Remember, the show is called
> "Amazing Stories", not "Amazing True To Life Stories", and is supposed to be
> fantasy. Without the ending, the episode would have had no fantasy.
>
> 						Scott A. Stewart
> 						LMSC - Sunnyvale
>
> P.S. I also liked the show on November 11. It was fun and enjoyable. I felt
> that the Hitchcock episode after it was pointless and irresponsible. Why was
> the story even made?

  I think the belly gunner should have turned himself into a cartoon character -- you know -- the ones who can take 50 hits without injury, fall off cliffs and   live to tell about it. Then, he could have walked off into the dark, being      chased by a coyote, screaming MEEP MEEP  varooooooom!

  B: