[net.tv] St. Elsewhere, Mark Harmon

scott@hou2g.UUCP (The Brennan Monster) (11/19/85)

Just read in the paper yesterday that Mark Harmon
wants out of his St. Elsewhere contract to develop
his movie career.  He will be "written out of the
show in late November".

Perhaps that could even be THIS week.  Looks like
we may have that suicide someone suggested earlier...

			SJBerry

jak@mtgzz.UUCP (j.a.kushner) (11/20/85)

I had heard that he was going to have an affair with a woman that has AIDS,
and that he will die from that.

Maybe, maybe not; just what I heard.

becky@cylixd.UUCP (Becky Bates) (11/20/85)

> Just read in the paper yesterday that Mark Harmon
> wants out of his St. Elsewhere contract to develop
> his movie career.  He will be "written out of the
> show in late November".
>
> Perhaps that could even be THIS week.  Looks like
> we may have that suicide someone suggested earlier...
>
> 			SJBerry

I was the one who suggested the St. Elsewhere suicide of Mark Harmon.
By putting an X on the mirror with shaving cream after removing his
bandages is that not a big hint? It is getting pretty close to the end
of November and I think something very bizarre wil happen in his suicide
if it was anything like his accident with his "pick up".  Maybe he will
just kill himself or maybe he will pick up the same girl that got him
with the razor before and she will finish him.  Can never tell about
these things but from your article SJBerry he is going one way or
another.

	BBates

giw@allegra.UUCP (Jerry Weil) (11/20/85)

The report I heard is that he will contract AIDS from a heterosexual
encounter.

heuring@boulder.UUCP (Vincent Heuring) (11/22/85)

BTW, the slashing of Bobby Calldwell by a woman wielding a
razor blade between her teeth is not original to St. E. I first
saw it in a gritty cop movie (I think the title was Blue Knights -
no flames please) starring Paul Newman  and Ed Asner. The movie may
have inspired HSB, as it had the same noisy, bustling, semi-cynical
view as HS.

Anyway, in the movie, this hooker was seriously into drugs, and got her
jollies by slashing her johns with a razor held between her teeth,
"when they least expected it."  She came to a bad end, though, when
she tried her little prank with a fella who took exception,
and proceeded to stick her in the tummy
several times with a shiv.  She ended up rolled up in a
roll of carpet, dumped in a vacant lot.  (And of course, the
cops never did solve the mystery of the razor slasher).

evan@pedsgo.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (11/22/85)

> Just read in the paper yesterday that Mark Harmon
> wants out of his St. Elsewhere contract to develop
> his movie career.  He will be "written out of the
> show in late November".
>
> Perhaps that could even be THIS week.  Looks like
> we may have that suicide someone suggested earlier...
>
> 			SJBerry

The story that I heard was that Harmon's character is going to contract
AIDS from a heterosexual love affair and die that way.  I dunno...

--Evan Marcus

dday@gymble.UUCP (Dennis Doubleday) (11/22/85)

In article <5424@allegra.UUCP> giw@allegra.UUCP (Jerry Weil) writes:
>The report I heard is that he will contract AIDS from a heterosexual
>encounter.

I also read this (in the Washington Post).  The article also said he
will continue to appear on the show until February.  Wasn't the show
that aired on Nov. 20 a lot of fun?  I really have to compliment the
writers for all their clever TV references, particularly to other MTM
productions.  For those of you who didn't see it, a mental patient at
the hospital became convinced he was Mary Richards from the old MARY
TYLER MOORE SHOW.  He was going around calling everyone on the show
by names from the MTM SHOW.  Betty White, who played Sue Ann Nivens on
MTM, was making a guest appearance on ST. ELSEWHERE as a character
introduced in a previous episode, Nancy Reagan's personal physician.
When this mental patient saw her he said, "Sue Ann! Sue Ann Nivens."
And she looked at him strangely and said, "I'm afraid you've confused
me with someone else." Aside from this very obvious reference, I
caught a couple of others:
    (1) Betty White's character was at the hospital to check on an
        astronaut who had developed paralysis in the previous
        episode.  When she greeted him she said, "Commander Healy
        at NASA sends his best wishes." An obvious reference to
        Maj. Roger Healy, the astronaut from I DREAM OF JEANNIE.
        Also, the same guy who played Roger Healy appeared for
        several years on the old BOB NEWHART SHOW, which was
        also an MTM production.
    (2) One of Bob Newhart's recurring patients on his old show
        was a Mr. Carlin, who was always saying bizarre and
        insensitive things in psychoanalysis.  The same character
        reappeared on ST. ELSEWHERE as one of the fellow mental
        patients in the hospital.

   I loved it.  Let's have more!

--

UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!dday                      Dennis Doubleday
CSNet:	dday@umcp-cs				 University of Maryland

In article <2@boulder.UUCP> heuring@boulder.UUCP (Vincent Heuring) writes:
>BTW, the slashing of Bobby Calldwell by a woman wielding a
>razor blade between her teeth is not original to St. E. I first

Actually, it wasn't a razor blade between her teeth, it was the mirror
she was using to cut her cocaine lines on.  You see her leave it out
on her pillow in the scene just before Bobby comes into the room.

--

UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!dday                      Dennis Doubleday
CSNet:	dday@umcp-cs				 University of Maryland
ARPA:	dday@gymble.umd.edu			 College Park, MD 20742
Fan of: Chicago Cubs, Chicago Bears, OU Sooners	 (301) 454-4247

andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (11/22/85)

Did everyone pick up on the fact that the face slasher started acting
like a vampire only after she entered the "haunted" house?  Dr Plastic
never did learn the story behind the house's reputation (at least on
camera).

I took a long look at the weapon with the freeze frame button on my
VCR.  It was definitely a mirror.

Too bad the Cape Cod incident is over.  I wanted to see more of Billy
Newman.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (11/24/85)

Actually, I heard that Mark Harmon was going to contract AIDS (from a het-
erosexual encounter) and die.

--Mr. Blore, aka Steve Howard
-- ...udenva!showard
-- "No matter what your occupation is, everybody's in showbiz"

rem@bu-cs.UUCP (Robert E. Mee) (11/27/85)

I'm afraid the movie your looking for was Fort Apache, The Bronx and the drug
crazed hooker was Pam Greer. Of course the guy she had wasn't as lucky.

-Rob
| Robert Mee	Boston University Academic Computer Center	   |
| UUCP:	        ...!harvard!bu-cs!rem                              |
| ARPA:	        rem%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa                   |
| CSNET:	rem@bu-cs                                          |