[net.tv] St. Elsewhere - references to other shows

steve1@rruxc.UUCP (S Stein) (11/21/85)

There were some obvious references to other TV shows in the
11/20 episode (Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, White Shadow).
Did anyone pick up some more obscure ones? Betty White
referred to Commander Healy at NASA, who I assume is the
promoted Major Healy from I Dream Of Jeannie. Also, in
discussing the name of the baby for the couple using artificial
insemination, they made reference to the name "Ulysses David",
which was also the name of Rob Petrie's grandfather (great-
grandfather?) on the old DVD show.
*              Steve Stein                                    *
*                          Bell Communications Research       *

becky@cylixd.UUCP (Becky Bates) (11/22/85)

> There were some obvious references to other TV shows in the
> 11/20 episode (Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, White Shadow).
> Did anyone pick up some more obscure ones? Betty White
> referred to Commander Healy at NASA, who I assume is the
> promoted Major Healy from I Dream Of Jeannie. Also, in
> discussing the name of the baby for the couple using artificial
> insemination, they made reference to the name "Ulysses David",
> which was also the name of Rob Petrie's grandfather (great-
> grandfather?) on the old DVD show.
> --
> *              Steve Stein                                    *
> *                          Bell Communications Research       *

Yes I noticed this also it is a new flair and almost humorous
with the guy that thought he was Mary Tyler Moore and all.  He
even called Betty White by her name off the old MTM show, at least
I think that is what true.  This was certainly a strange show
in the sense that they were referencing other shows of the past.

		Becky Bates
		RCA Globecom

imd@ihlpl.UUCP (Ira M. Dworkin ) (11/23/85)

> There were some obvious references to other TV shows in the
> 11/20 episode (Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, White Shadow).
> Did anyone pick up some more obscure ones? Betty White
> referred to Commander Healy at NASA, who I assume is the
> promoted Major Healy from I Dream Of Jeannie. Also, in
> discussing the name of the baby for the couple using artificial
> insemination, they made reference to the name "Ulysses David",
> which was also the name of Rob Petrie's grandfather (great-
> grandfather?) on the old DVD show.
> --
> *              Steve Stein                                    *
> *                          Bell Communications Research       *

Another obscure (but amusing) reference...when John Doe just started
flipping through the TV channels, one of the first channels he
flies by is showing St. Elsewhere...you hear the opening music to
the show playing!  I also enjoyed "Mary Richards" mistaking
Betty White's character for MTM's Sue Anne Nivens.

Ira Dworkin
AT&T Bell Labs
ihnp4!ihchk!imd

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (11/24/85)

In article <428@ihlpl.UUCP> imd@ihlpl.UUCP (Ira M. Dworkin ) writes:
>Another obscure (but amusing) reference...when John Doe just started
>flipping through the TV channels, one of the first channels he
>flies by is showing St. Elsewhere...you hear the opening music to
>the show playing!  I also enjoyed "Mary Richards" mistaking
>Betty White's character for MTM's Sue Anne Nivens.

Also while he was flipping channels there was another, even more obscure
reference: the news show he was watching used the actual newscasters
from the Boston NBC affiliate.

I also nearly fell on the floor at the Sue Anne recognition.  I was also
quite upset with myself for not predicting it earlier, as it was such an
obvious thing to do.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (11/24/85)

>From: steve1@rruxc.UUCP (S Stein)
>
>There were some obvious references to other TV shows in the
>11/20 episode (Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, White Shadow).
>Did anyone pick up some more obscure ones? Betty White
>referred to Commander Healy at NASA, who I assume is the
>promoted Major Healy from I Dream Of Jeannie. Also, in
>discussing the name of the baby for the couple using artificial
>insemination, they made reference to the name "Ulysses David",
>which was also the name of Rob Petrie's grandfather (great-
>grandfather?) on the old DVD show.

How about Mr. Carlin from the old Bob Newhart Show in the St.Eligius (sp?)
psych ward?

As someone pointed out a few months back, this seems to be a favorite trick
with the St. Elsewhere writers. At that time, the big joke was the chance
meeting between two White Shadow characters.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

	"...I don't imagine being a supernatural being is much fun since
	 people probably would be more reluctant to invite me to parties."
						- Gene Spafford

mickey@cca.UUCP (Mickey Levine) (12/04/85)

Although the "Mary Richards" episode went a little overboard on the
TV show references, it not the first time. Early last season, during
a scene in the Emergency Room, Fiskus announces that he has to take
car of an auto accident victim, a Mr. Hasselhoff (David Hasselhoff is
Mark Knight of Knight Rider).

					Mickey Levine
					decvax!cca!mickey