[net.tv] Amazing Stories - Nov. 3

edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (11/04/85)

	Well all you cynics, I hope you all saw NBC's Amazing Stories
on November 3rd. The episode, "The Mission", is surely one of the best
hours of television to be seen yet this season!

	Briefly, the story is about the crew of a WWII bomber. During
a rather nasty mid-air collision with debris, the plane's landing gear
is destroyed and one of the crew members is trapped in the belly gun
turret. The episode, directed by Steven Spielburg, was swiftly paced
and drew to a completely unexpected climactic ending. Spielburg, working
without little kids and cardboard parents, gave us a story charged with
true emotion and real suspense. All along we just knew that Jonathan would
get out the turret alive, but how was a complete mystery. Anyone out there
who claims to have figured out the ending before it happened is going to
be lying. It was THAT amazing.
	The character development in the story was much better than I have
come to expect from a TV show. I felt myself feeling the frustration and
helplessness of the crew. And when that landing gear finally came down,
I felt a rush of relief and happiness. A truly wonderful story.

	For those of us who held out a hope that Spielburg would get
this series going, the wait was worth it. I know that it's too much to
ask to have a story of this calibur every week, but this episode makes
you want to.

--
Edward C. Bennett

UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward

/* A charter member of the Scooter bunch */

"Goodnight M.A."

roger1@ihlpg.UUCP (Mills) (11/04/85)

> 	Well all you cynics, I hope you all saw NBC's Amazing Stories
> on November 3rd. The episode, "The Mission", is surely one of the best
> hours of television to be seen yet this season!
>
> 	Briefly, the story is about the crew of a WWII bomber. During
> a rather nasty mid-air collision with debris, the plane's landing gear
> is destroyed and one of the crew members is trapped in the belly gun
> turret. The episode, directed by Steven Spielburg, was swiftly paced
> and drew to a completely unexpected climactic ending. Spielburg, working
> without little kids and cardboard parents, gave us a story charged with
> true emotion and real suspense. All along we just knew that Jonathan would
> get out the turret alive, but how was a complete mystery. Anyone out there
> who claims to have figured out the ending before it happened is going to
> be lying. It was THAT amazing.
> 	The character development in the story was much better than I have
> come to expect from a TV show. I felt myself feeling the frustration and
> helplessness of the crew. And when that landing gear finally came down,
> I felt a rush of relief and happiness. A truly wonderful story.
>
> 	For those of us who held out a hope that Spielburg would get
> this series going, the wait was worth it. I know that it's too much to
> ask to have a story of this calibur every week, but this episode makes
> you want to.
>
> --
> Edward C. Bennett
>
> UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward

I saw this episode, and was very disappointed.  The first 55 minutes
was some of the greatest television that I have ever seen.  The last
five minutes sucked.  After all the effort to make it as realistic
and horrifying as possible, to have a cartton ending is despicable.

I guess it's my fault, I should have known better than to be
watching television anyway.

rlm
--
Roger L. Mills
ihlpg!roger1

agb@reed.UUCP (Alexander G. Burchell) (11/06/85)

In article <1398@ihlpg.UUCP> roger1@ihlpg.UUCP (Mills) writes:
> I saw this episode, and was very disappointed.  The first 55 minutes
> was some of the greatest television that I have ever seen.  The last
> five minutes sucked.  After all the effort to make it as realistic
> and horrifying as possible, to have a cartoon ending is despicable.

You are missing the point.  The whole episode led up to that climax, and
although I cannot claim that I guessed how it was going to end, after
watching the ending I thought back to how this had been foreshadowed.  The
ball-turret gunner (I forget his name unfortunately) had been depicted as
one who has "got that old imagination".  He even said that he wanted to be a
cartoonist for Disney.  And while it may have been a "cartoon ending", that
again was the idea.  What was *the last thing* you would have expected?
I'll bet that it's just what happened.

BTW, who does the (truly Amazing) computer graphics that start out each
episode?  I was quite impressed with the realistic surface textures and was
especially amazed by the knight in shining armor.  Does anyone know if they
are using the technique for generating metal that was developed by Carlos
Sequin (sp?) at Berkeley?  (I forget the details, but it was something to
the effect that light reflecting from metal was the color of the metal, not
the color of the light, as it is for other types of surfaces [perhaps the
other way around...])

					Alexander G. Burchell

UUCP:	..!{decvax,ucbvax,hplabs,ihnp4,zehntel}!tektronix!reed!agb
MAIL:	Box 172, Reed College, 3203 SE Woodstock Dr., Portland OR 97202

ndd@duke.UUCP (Ned Danieley) (11/06/85)

In article <311@ukecc.UUCP> edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) writes:

.
.
.
.
>	Briefly, the story is about the crew of a WWII bomber. During
>a rather nasty mid-air collision with debris, the plane's landing gear
>is destroyed ...

BTW, how did this happen? I assume the landing gear was up, and it looked
as if the debris came from only one side of the plane, yet they showed BOTH
tires destroyed (shredded rubber). Any ideas how this could be?

Ned Danieley
decvax!duke!ndd

pauer@puff.UUCP (11/06/85)

    Of course no one guessed the ending! It was such unmitigated bull that
     only the writer himself (Spielburg) could know what was going to
     happen.

    I've liked the stories so far, but this one really left me feeling
     cheated.  I really was hoping the main character was dead when they
     took him out of the turret!

    Cartoon wheels, "He's creative, that and a penny will take you anywhere",
     what a load of crap!

		  Pauer
                "Regnadkcin"

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (11/07/85)

Well, no, actually the Amazing Cartoon Wheels was a terrific half-hour
(maybe 20 minutes) tv show.  After that, I was beginning to get a little
anxious for something happen already dammit!
--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

dv@well.UUCP (David W. Vezie) (11/10/85)

In article <2114@reed.UUCP> agb@reed.UUCP (Alexander G. Burchell) writes:
>BTW, who does the (truly Amazing) computer graphics that start out each
>episode?  I was quite impressed with the realistic surface textures and was
>especially amazed by the knight in shining armor.  Does anyone know if they
>are using the technique for generating metal that was developed by Carlos
>Sequin (sp?) at Berkeley?  (I forget the details, but it was something to
>the effect that light reflecting from metal was the color of the metal, not
>the color of the light, as it is for other types of surfaces [perhaps the
>other way around...])

	The "Amazing Stories" opener was done by Robert Abel and Associates.
I suspect that the chrome on the knight is the same chrome used on the sexy
robot in "Brilliance", the commercial they did for American Can.

	I'm not familiar with Carlos Sequin's (sic) reflecting technique, but
the man who first gave realistic specular highlights to computer graphics is
Rob Cook.  He started the work at Cornell, but Rob is currently working for
Lucasfilm.

	Circumstances temporarily beyond my control force me to remain
anonymous.  This is being sent to you via a friend at another site.

		--whoever

(I'm the friend... reply to me, and I'll forward)
--
David W. Vezie		 /!well!dv - Whole Earth 'Lectronics Link, Sausalito, CA
	    {dual|hplabs}

glw@rayssd.UUCP (Gregory L. Wing) (11/23/85)

> In article <2114@reed.UUCP> agb@reed.UUCP (Alexander G. Burchell) writes:
> >BTW, who does the (truly Amazing) computer graphics that start out each
> >episode?  I was quite impressed with the realistic surface textures and was
> >especially amazed by the knight in shining armor.  Does anyone know if they
> >are using the technique for generating metal that was developed by Carlos
> >Sequin (sp?) at Berkeley?  (I forget the details, but it was something to
> >the effect that light reflecting from metal was the color of the metal, not
> >the color of the light, as it is for other types of surfaces [perhaps the
> >other way around...])
>
> 	The "Amazing Stories" opener was done by Robert Abel and Associates.
> I suspect that the chrome on the knight is the same chrome used on the sexy
> robot in "Brilliance", the commercial they did for American Can.

Skeaking of amazing computer graphics, has anyone seen the latest Mick Jagger
video?  It's really impressive.  Especially the textures of the walls and
floors. Does anyone out there know who put that video together?

				Gregory L. Wing

|  Gregory L. Wing {allegra,linus,raybed2,ccice5,brunix}!rayssd!rayssde!glw   |
|  Raytheon SSD / Box 330 / Portsmouth, RI 02871-9988 / 401-847-8000 x 4107   |

daemon@houligan.UUCP (12/10/85)

>> BTW, who does the (truly Amazing) computer graphics that start out each
>> episode?  I was quite impressed with the realistic surface textures and was
>> especially amazed by the knight in shining armor.
>
> 	The "Amazing Stories" opener was done by Robert Abel and Associates.
> I suspect that the chrome on the knight is the same chrome used on the sexy
> robot in "Brilliance", the commercial they did for American Can.

I just got to see a "behind the scenes" video about how these commercials,
plus the Rotatract razor ad, were made, when I started working here (Gould
Computer Systems, Ft Lauderdale).  They like to show it to all the new people,
as the Abel crew used Gould number-crunchers to generate the images.  It was
only appropriate that I hadn't had time to watch an episode of Mazing yet,
what with moving and all (but I have them all on tape).  Although it's not
evident (to me, at least) in the titles, the promo I saw showed a closeup of
the book, and it even has a "leather-grain" binding.  Very highly detailed
graphics!
--tgi
Personal:	Craig Strickland (alias "tgi")
Financial:	Gould Computer Systems Division, UNIX Development
Physical:	PO Box 409148, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33340-9148
Vocal:		305/587-2900 x5014
UUCP:		{brl-bmd,ccvaxa,pur-ee,sun}!csd-gould!midas!tgi
			  decvax!sii!trixie/
Other:		CompuServe: 76545,1007   Source: BDQ615   Telex: 650-272-3350