[net.tv] "King Lear" - Cliff Claven?

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (12/30/85)

I watched the PBS broadcast this past Friday and wondered if the
General of the King's Knights was the actor who plays Cliff on
"Cheers".  He looked just like him, with the addition of a beard.
He also sounded like a non-Bostonian version of Cliff.  He didn't
sound like he had an English accent, unlike just about everyone else
in the production.  I had heard that he had done Shakespear before
his current role.  Anyone know if this was him?

krantz@csd2.UUCP (Michaelntz) (01/02/86)

Hello out there.  Robert Zarcone writes:

> I watched the PBS broadcast [of King Lear] this past Friday and
wondered if the
> General of the King's Knights was the actor who plays Cliff on
> "Cheers".  He looked just like him, with the addition of a beard.
> He also sounded like a non-Bostonian version of Cliff.  He didn't
> sound like he had an English accent, unlike just about everyone else
> in the production.  I had heard that he had done Shakespear before
> his current role.  Anyone know if this was him?

I, for one, haven't the faintest idea, but its a truly frightening
thought.  What will be next?  Diane as Juliet?  Carla doing Lady
MacBeth? :-)

(Name withheld at conscience's request)

evan@pedsgo.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (01/03/86)

In article <981@ccice5.UUCP> rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) writes:
>I watched the PBS broadcast this past Friday and wondered if the
>General of the King's Knights was the actor who plays Cliff on
>"Cheers".  He looked just like him, with the addition of a beard.
>He also sounded like a non-Bostonian version of Cliff.  He didn't
>sound like he had an English accent, unlike just about everyone else
>in the production.  I had heard that he had done Shakespear before
>his current role.  Anyone know if this was him?

I can't speak for that, but when Superman II was on last Sunday, I spotted
Cliff, with a beard, playing a very blase Mission Control attendant for
NASA, just before the Kryptonians showed up on the moon.

--
NAME:   Evan L. Marcus
UUCP:   ...vax135!petsd!pedsgd!pedsgo!evan

tonti@ptsfc.UUCP (Guy Tonti) (01/06/86)

In article <130@pedsgo.UUCP>, evan@pedsgo.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
> In article <981@ccice5.UUCP> rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) writes:
> >I watched the PBS broadcast this past Friday and wondered if the
> >General of the King's Knights was the actor who plays Cliff on
> >"Cheers".  He looked just like him, with the addition of a beard.
> >He also sounded like a non-Bostonian version of Cliff.  He didn't
> >sound like he had an English accent, unlike just about everyone else
> >in the production.  I had heard that he had done Shakespear before
> >his current role.  Anyone know if this was him?
>
> I can't speak for that, but when Superman II was on last Sunday, I spotted
> Cliff, with a beard, playing a very blase Mission Control attendant for
> NASA, just before the Kryptonians showed up on the moon.

Let's also not forgot Cliff's (John Ratzenberger for the uninformed) fine
portrayal as a diamond smuggler (my memory is weak so it may have been as
a drug dealer) in that movie of movies, "THE BITCH."  (Why Joan Collins
was not nominated for an Oscar should be taken up with the Academy).

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (01/07/86)

The guy who plays Cliff pops up in lots of weird places.  See Eastwood's
movie _FIREFOX_ -- and watch who pops out of the submarine to "fill 'er up"
when the Firfox lands on the iceflow...

                        "Asked by reporters about his upcoming marriage to a
                         forty-two-year-old woman, director Roman Polanski
                         told reporters, "The way I look at it, she's the
                         equivalent of three fourteen-year-olds."
                                                -- David Letterman

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty