[net.tv] Question about MOONLIGHTING background

evan@pedsgo.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (01/09/86)

I started watching Moonlighting in the middle of this season, and while I
have been able to figure out most the background (she was robbed by her
accountant of all her liquid assets, leaving just Blue Moon, her car, and
her house and she was forced to work there to make any money), there is one
thing I haven't been able to figure.  Who is Addison?  All I can figure is
that he ran the place alone until she showed up, but even that doesn't
really make too much sense.  Why do they have such a big (incompetent) staff?
Also, why doesn't she (Maddie) just go back into modeling? And is there any
reason why Miss DiPesto speaks in limericks all the time?

Plus, is there anybody who has watched more than one episode and doesn't
like the show?  Everybody I have spoken to has quickly fallen in love with it.
--
NAME:   Evan L. Marcus
UUCP:   ...vax135!petsd!pedsgd!pedsgo!evan

ma@hropus.UUCP (Miguel Abdo) (01/09/86)

I watched the first run of the show; the  movie  from  which  the
series  was  based.  You seem to have learned a fare amount about
the program on your  own.   However,  I  can  only  provide  some
background.  Addison was, in fact, running the agency on his own;
however, he was supposed to lose money so that it could  be  used
as a tax writeoff.  When Maddie lost all her money, she wanted to
sell the agency, but he convinced her that  he  could  also  make
money,  if  that  is  what  she wanted.  There was some murder, I
don't remember the details, which the  two  of  them  solved  and
therefore she decided to keep the agency.

As to why she didn't go back to modeling, maybe she was too  old.
This  is  just  my  opinion  as to a good scenario, since I don't
recall any mention of it in the show.

What I don't get is how when the  show  first  premiered  halfway
through the 84 season, it seemed to have flopped, and when it was
re-released in 85, it became such a popular show.  From  the  few
shows I have seen this year, they didn't change the format.

Hope I was able to enlighten you.

Miguel

lo@harvard.UUCP (Bert S.F. Lo) (01/10/86)

In article <209@hropus.UUCP>, ma@hropus.UUCP (Miguel Abdo) writes:
> What I don't get is how when the  show  first  premiered  halfway
> through the 84 season, it seemed to have flopped, and when it was
> re-released in 85, it became such a popular show.  From  the  few
> shows I have seen this year, they didn't change the format.
>
> Miguel

Late in the 84-85 season, Moonlighting showed up as a 6 week tester. I don't
think ABC intended for it to last beyond that. But when it came out, the TV
critics gave it good reviews and someone pleaded for a second chance for the
show. So they rebroadcast the 6 episodes during the late summer when no one
has anything new on and it came up consistently top 10.

So that's how it goes. During the regular season, people refuse to stoop to
watching ABC, and in the late summer, when they're all too tired to go out
and everything on NBC and CBS is a repeat, they try ABC. That's how shows
like Moonlighting can be resuscitated. Unfortunately, shows like Filthy
Rich (CBS) also reach normal season prime time this way.

By the way, during the initial broadcast, I missed a couple of the episodes.
Could anyone who saw them tell me what they were about? I remember the one
with the watch and the diamonds, the one with Laura and Paul, the one with the
Murder Train and the one that ends with a cream pie fight.