[net.tv] WHY ARE THERE SO MANY REPEATS OF MIAMI VICE AND HILL STREET BLUES?

vas@lzaz.UUCP (V.SNYDER) (01/06/86)

Does anyone know why the past several weeks, there's been reruns of Miami
Vice and Hill Street Blues?  What's the story?  Who do I write to?

silber@lasspvax.UUCP (Jeffrey Silber) (01/07/86)

In article <463@lzaz.UUCP> vas@lzaz.UUCP (V.SNYDER) writes:

>Does anyone know why the past several weeks, there's been reruns of Miami
>Vice and Hill Street Blues?  What's the story?  Who do I write to?

During the holidays (and at various other times during the years) there are
no Nielson ratings (or in some cases the ratings do not get counted in the
advertising rates).  For that reason the networks are reluctant to use a brand
new, high-priced, episode during that time period.  HSB is, incidentally, a
very expensive show, owing to the large cast size.

krantz@csd2.UUCP (Michaelntz) (01/09/86)

We are asked:

>> Does anyone know why the past several weeks, there's been reruns of Miami
>> Vice and Hill Street Blues?  What's the story?  Who do I write to?

And told:

> During the holidays (and at various other times during the years) there are
> no Nielson ratings (or in some cases the ratings do not get counted in the
> advertising rates).  For that reason the networks are reluctant to use a brand
> new, high-priced, episode during that time period.  HSB is, incidentally, a
> very expensive show, owing to the large cast size.

Also take into consideration that these are two very successful shows.
If they weren't feel as free to use lots of reruns.  I think (though
someone might correct me on this) that "Hill Street Blues" had the
shortest `new episode' run on prime time last year.  Doesn't matter.
It got the most said anyway.

See next posting for more HSB idolotry.

vector@inuxe.UUCP (Randal Blackwood) (01/17/86)

> Also take into consideration that these are two very successful shows.
> If they weren't feel as free to use lots of reruns.  I think (though
> someone might correct me on this) that "Hill Street Blues" had the
> shortest `new episode' run on prime time last year.  Doesn't matter.
> It got the most said anyway.
>
> See next posting for more HSB idolotry.

This is probably the main reason why I have not watched all of the
new episodes of HSB this year.  I have gotten tired of watching 4-5 new
episodes and then in the middle of the prime season (Nov. or Mar.) all
of a sudden HSB pulls off some old dusty reruns off the shelf.  I don't
mind them running reruns, but not in the middle of the season. (And I'm
not talking about the Christmas break reruns).

Randy Blackwood