[net.tv] blooper in "Diamonds are Forever"

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (01/14/86)

After watching "Diamonds are Forever" on TV last night, I was reminded
of a blooper that I noticed when the movie first came out.  As JB is
racing down the narrowing alley, he grabs the steering wheel with his left
hand, the girl with his right, runs the left wheels of the car up a ramp
and proceeds down the narrow alley by balancing on the right wheels.
However, the next scene shows the car emerging from the alley balanced on
its LEFT wheels.  Did anyone else notice this?

brad@asgb.UUCP (J.Bradley Smith) (01/16/86)

In article <3232@hplabsb.UUCP> bl@hplabsb.UUCP writes:
>After watching "Diamonds are Forever" on TV last night, I was reminded
>of a blooper that I noticed when the movie first came out.  As JB is
>racing down the narrowing alley, he grabs the steering wheel with his left
>hand, the girl with his right, runs the left wheels of the car up a ramp
>and proceeds down the narrow alley by balancing on the right wheels.
>However, the next scene shows the car emerging from the alley balanced on
>its LEFT wheels.  Did anyone else notice this?

yes, indeed.  a rather blatant error which should not have passed
continuity.  i wonder if that entire scene was reversed...
anyone who taped it care to check it out?

-brad
...!seismo!hao!asgb!brad

pmm1920@ritcv.UUCP (01/20/86)

> After watching "Diamonds are Forever" on TV last night, I was reminded
> of a blooper that I noticed when the movie first came out.  As JB is
> racing down the narrowing alley, he grabs the steering wheel with his left
> hand, the girl with his right, runs the left wheels of the car up a ramp
> and proceeds down the narrow alley by balancing on the right wheels.
> However, the next scene shows the car emerging from the alley balanced on
> its LEFT wheels.  Did anyone else notice this?

   I didn't notice this myself, but a guy who was watching it with me did.
As soon as he mentioned it, I noticed that JB was indeed on the opposite
wheels.  Was this intentional or was the editor really messed up?

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (01/22/86)

> >racing down the narrowing alley, he grabs the steering wheel with his left
> >hand, the girl with his right, runs the left wheels of the car up a ramp
> >and proceeds down the narrow alley by balancing on the right wheels.
> >However, the next scene shows the car emerging from the alley balanced on
> >its LEFT wheels.  Did anyone else notice this?

> yes, indeed.  a rather blatant error which should not have passed
> continuity.  i wonder if that entire scene was reversed...

I don't have it taped, but I had always assumed it was a straightforward
continuity error.  It is understandable when you remember that the
camera angles are different between the two scenes.  Going into the
alley, the car makes a lower-right-to-upper-left diagonal on the screen
(on the right wheels).  Comeing out, it again makes a
lower-right-to-upper-left diagonal, (but this time on the left wheels),
since the emergence is shot from a camera angle almost 180 degrees
different.  That's probably why it wasn't noticed when screening it for
continuity errors...  the car makes the same sort of shape on screen in
both scenes.

I have wondered if the stunt man did it that way on purpose, to see if
it would be caught before printing.  Surely the person driving the car
would be able to tell what was going on  (but maybe there were at least
two stunt drivers....).

--
Wayne Throop at Data General, RTP, NC
<the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!dg_rtp!throopw

todd@ur-helheim.UUCP (Sempei Todd A. Jackson) (01/23/86)

In article <9264@ritcv.UUCP> pmm1920@ritcv.UUCP () writes:
>> After watching "Diamonds are Forever" on TV last night, I was reminded
>>
>> However, the next scene shows the car emerging from the alley balanced on
>> its LEFT wheels.  Did anyone else notice this?

>   I didn't notice this myself, but a guy who was watching it with me did.
>As soon as he mentioned it, I noticed that JB was indeed on the opposite
>wheels.  Was this intentional or was the editor really messed up?

I remember first seeing this movie on TV and I also noticed the same
thing. . . . Car goes into alley on right wheels, comes out of alley
on left wheels.  When I saw the uncut film version years later as an
undergrad I was watching for that scene and got a bit of a surprise.
Evidently somewhere between the entrance and exit of the alley the
alley widens out, the car flops down flat, the alley then narrows
and the car goes up on the its other side.  In the television version
this scene seems to have been cut.

     "I'm so miserable without you, it's like having you around."

           {seismo,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-valhalla!todd

neth@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (01/25/86)

I always wondered if the editor flipped the negative for some "esthetic" reason.
Print journalists regularly flip negatives of pictures of people, so they won't
be "looking off the page".  Is there some similar rule for motion picture
making?

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (01/27/86)

> >racing down the narrowing alley, he grabs the steering wheel with his left
> >hand, the girl with his right, runs the left wheels of the car up a ramp
> >and proceeds down the narrow alley by balancing on the right wheels.
> >However, the next scene shows the car emerging from the alley balanced on
> >its LEFT wheels.  Did anyone else notice this?

> yes, indeed.  a rather blatant error which should not have passed
> continuity.  i wonder if that entire scene was reversed...

This is what someone told me, so don't ask for any confirmation.

The shot of the car going into the alley was filmed with a stuntman, the
shot coming out of the alley had Connery driving.  If the car came out
the way it went in, then the driver's side would be the side falling back
to the ground, and supposedly Connery didn't want to do that.  So they
put the car in with the driver's side down and a stunt woman in the
passenger seat.

Someone else told me that it is much more difficult to do that stunt with
the driver's side down.  This would imply that the car coming out had not
jumped up a ramp, but was placed in the alley before hand.  Who knows
whether it was accidental or on purpose?
--
		Kevin Chu
[UUCP]		!{ucbvax,lll-crg}!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

ccs029@ucdavis.UUCP ( Smiley) (01/29/86)

> When I saw the uncut film version years later as an
> undergrad I was watching for that scene and got a bit of a surprise.
> Evidently somewhere between the entrance and exit of the alley the
> alley widens out, the car flops down flat, the alley then narrows
> and the car goes up on the its other side.  In the television version
> this scene seems to have been cut.
	I was waiting for that!  I have been going through hundreds of
person who mentioned the original uncut version.  It only goes to show
you that they cut EVERYTHING out of TV.

Smiley.

jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (Jim Boland) (02/01/86)

> 	I was waiting for that!  I have been going through hundreds of
> person who mentioned the original uncut version.  It only goes to show
> you that they cut EVERYTHING out of TV.

which is why I immediately change channels if they put the sign on the
screen "EDITED FOR TELEVISION".  That's a complete turnoff.