[net.tv] Questions and comments for fans of The Equalizer

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (01/28/86)

On the Jan. 22nd episode, we finally get to see most of McCall's sundry
agents gathered together in one place (though Robin Curtis (who played
Saavik in Star Trek III) was new to the show, I think).  Very interesting,
and the humor and detail of the show were up to past standards; other than
The Twilight Zone, this is the most consistent show in terms of quality on
the air these days.

A few questions and comments:

What was Mickey Costmeyer saying to McCall when people start arriving at his
apartment?  Something about the French girlfriend he has aquired in a
previous episode? (the continuity on this show is GREAT).

It appears that all the hints dropped during the last few episodes are true
-- Control is no longer in charge of the local CIA chapter (that was the CIA
-- notice the CIA symbol as Control and McCall were conversing).  Jason, I
suppose, has the goods on someone.  By the way, was Jason implying that
Control was gay when he reveals that he has bugged Control's office?

I particularly like how they take any occasion to flesh out a character a
little more -- the help given to the older operative to make the drop, a
chance to see the fellow who runs the clip joint squeeze clients for info...
the writing on this show is very good.

Oh, well, any discussion would be interesting...

		"Flaming Carrot!...  Do you see
		 Communists behind every bush?"
		 				"No... but SOMETIMES they
						 hide there."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty

krantz@csd2.UUCP (Michaelntz) (01/31/86)

/* csd2:net.tv / moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) /  2:45 am  Jan 28, 1986 */

/* ---------- */

hansen@mips.UUCP (Craig Hansen) (02/01/86)

> On the Jan. 22nd episode, we finally get to see most of McCall's sundry
> agents gathered together in one place (though Robin Curtis (who played
> Saavik in Star Trek III) was new to the show, I think).  Very interesting,
> and the humor and detail of the show were up to past standards; other than
> The Twilight Zone, this is the most consistent show in terms of quality on
> the air these days.

I would like to add that the soundtracks, performed by Stewart Copeland
(formerly of the Police) are consistently excellent.  Unlike Jan Hammer's
music for Miami Vice, Copeland music is particularly well-integrated with
the moods and settings of the show.  And unlike Tangerine Dream/Streethawk,
you don't have to wade though an awful story line to enjoy the music.

The premise of the show, that a retired CIA agent finds people
in need of protection and help by advertising in the want ads,
comes off surprisingly well, though it initially seems
incredibly far-fetched. I have to agree that the little details
in the show are what makes it all work.

Craig Hansen
MIPS Computer Systems
...decwrl!glacier!mips!hansen

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (02/04/86)

In article <299@mips.UUCP> hansen@mips.UUCP (Craig Hansen) writes:
>I would like to add that the soundtracks, performed by Stewart Copeland
>(formerly of the Police) are consistently excellent.  Unlike Jan Hammer's
>music for Miami Vice, Copeland music is particularly well-integrated with
>the moods and settings of the show.  And unlike Tangerine Dream/Streethawk,
>you don't have to wade though an awful story line to enjoy the music.

Agreed, though I feel much of Hammer's music IS well-integrated.  The stuff
he created for the "Evan" episode worked very well, and the integration on
this season's premiere was outstanding (particularly in the scenes between
Sonny and the woman who picks him up in the bar).

Stewart Copeland's music is excellent.  I'm a bit amazed at the people they
get to contribute to this show...

>The premise of the show, that a retired CIA agent finds people
>in need of protection and help by advertising in the want ads,
>comes off surprisingly well, though it initially seems
>incredibly far-fetched. I have to agree that the little details
>in the show are what makes it all work.

Exactly: when you get into the full-bodied characterization of McCall by
Edward Woodward, you actually believe that this guy *wants* to help people
(a good samaritan who is doing this not for kicks, but because he can help
people, and perhaps also as penance for some of the things he did in the
CIA).

Even better: if you were really in big trouble, and you are in the REAL
WORLD, who would you call? :

1)  A bunch of yahoos on the run from the Army who are adept only at firing
    machine guns without hitting people and building grenade launchers out
    of lawnmowers.

2)  A person who knows how to influence people in all walks of life through
    blackmail, intimidation and frame-ups instead of gunplay.

What's that phone number again, McCall?

				"The race may not always be to the swift
				 nor the battle to the strong, but it's a
				 good idea to bet that way."
				  		-- O. L. Bear

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (M. A. Upmalis) (02/05/86)

Mark me as another fan of intelligent, well written (at least often) drama.

I like the way they use New York City as a backdrop, they aren't obligated
to show you Brooklyn Bridge twice a show, but the feel of New York with it's
diversity makes for a nice feel.

The choice of actors is wonderful, often the bit parts  or minor/major
characters are played by New York stage actors.  Woodward is an old
actor from the Royal Shakespeare Company in England and others who
have appeared in the show (e.g. Brian Bedford in the episode about the
Public Defender who kills the clients he gets free) have a similar strong
background.

The show has been criticized for the amount of violence, but I think that
violence is portrayed as a last resort that must be employed or is
a reality of life.

One question, what is that thing on Woodward's lapel?

--
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

		ihnp4!watmath!watarts!mupmalis

Chemistry is useful both in Modern Medicine and the treatment of Steel.

				Mr. Sanderson in "Big Meat Eater"

ecc@sftig.UUCP (E.C.Chisholm) (02/06/86)

> > The Twilight Zone, this is the most consistent show in terms of quality on
> > the air these days.
> > the writing on this show is very good.
> > 		"Flaming Carrot!...  Do you see
> > 		 Communists behind every bush?"
> > 		 				"No... but SOMETIMES they
> > 						 hide there."
> >
> >                                         Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
> I'll have to disagree. I'll admit I've only watched 1 full show and that was
>
> 				Ed. "Shebe" Chisholm
> 		"These are the voyages.."

OOOPS! I clipped Moriarty's posting in the wrong place. I didn't mean
to give the impression that I think the TWILIGHT ZONE is bad. I Think
that ZONE's the best show on CBS. And now that I look at what's availible
on CBS I'll have to admit (ugh!) that the Equalizer is not as bad as that
one episode led me to believe. As I sit here at the terminal I've noticed
that it's taking me nearly an hour to write this short posting. The Equalizer
*does* belong in my T.V. top ten!! The music is cool and the script enter-
taining. I hope all of the episodes are as entertaining as tonights.(2/5/86)

					Ed. "Shebe" Chisholm

Louie DePalma's Impostor at Louies high School Reunion:
	So What have you been up to in the last 10 years Doug?
Doug:   I'm a waiter at the Saun De Ville.
Louie:  heh, heh, heh, heh.
Doug:   I make 30,000 a year and 40,000 in tips; 10,000 of which declare on my
	taxes. What do YOU do?
Louie: I'm an investigator for the Internal Revenue.