[net.tv] Cartoons

ronin@reed.UUCP (Colon) (01/30/84)

It seems that at a time when people genarally complan about violence
on t.v. the "sugar" cartoons (not cartons as the subject says) would
get huge amounts of possitive response. No chance. Pac-man and Smurfs
or most of the "nice" cartoons are simply rotten. The only decent tv
on Sat. mornings, has to be Spider-man and the other "soft" cartoons.
It may be nice in real life but you can't expect a child to really
admire a hero that goes CHOMP CHOMP. Give Tarzan back his own show,
he had the best animation in Sat. morning cartoons hands down.
				Still surviving
				   Ronin
					...!tektronix!reed!ronin
					let me know what you think

jmd@aluxe.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, Pa.) (08/28/84)

While partying with some friends over the weekend, I became involved in a
discussion about some old cartoon shows.  Two of the shows mentioned were
"Felix the Cat" and "Underdog".  Does anyone out there know the lyrics to
the songs from these shows or a list of some of the characters?

All we could come up with from "Felix the Cat" is:
               Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat.

After that, everyone went blank, although we do know a magic bag of tricks
is mentioned somewhere.  We couldn't come up with much more for "Underdog".
So any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

						aluxe!jmd

gayde@ihuxp.UUCP (Peter Gayde) (08/29/84)

		FELIX THE CAT

Felix the Cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat.
	Whenever he gets in a fix
	He reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the Cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat.
	You'll laugh so much your sides will ache,
	Your heart will go pitter-pat
	Watching Felix, the wonderful cat.
--
	Peter Gayde	AT&T Technologies	Naperville, IL
	ihnp4!{iwu1b,ihuxp}!gayde	(312) 979-7598

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (08/29/84)

If you look through old net.tv archives, you will find tons of
info on Felix and Underdog, including words to the themes.  I posted
much of that material myself, but I don't really think trying to
post it all again is appropriate since it's bound to be online
somewhere already.

--Lauren--

ken@ihuxq.UUCP (ken perlow) (08/29/84)

--
>> All we could come up with from "Felix the Cat" is:
>>                Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat.

>> After that, everyone went blank...

>> So any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

>> 						aluxe!jmd

I think the ending to "Felix" went:

	   You'll laugh so much,
	   your sides will ache,
	   your heart will go pitter-pat
	   watching Felix,
	   the wonderful cat.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

segs@mhuxv.UUCP (slusky) (08/29/84)

Felix the Cat
The wonderful, wonderful cat.
You'll laugh so much your sides will ache,
Your heart will go pitter pat,
Watching Felix, the wonderful cat.
--
mhuxv!segs

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (08/29/84)

Here's what I remember from the opening of the Underdog show:

Announcer (I think it was Don Pardow of Jeopardy & Saturday Night
Live fame, but I'm not sure):

"Look....up in the sky...it's a bird...it's a plane...it's a frog!"

Somebody else:

"A frog?"

Underdog (Wally Cox):

"Not bird nor plane nor even frog, just little old me, Underdog!"
--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsrgv!dciem!jeff

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (08/30/84)

Ah, you folks have made my night.  I thought this was going to be a dull
evening.

Somebody already posted Felix the Cat, so I'll do Underdog

When in this world the headlines read
of those whose hearts are filled with greed
who rob and steal from those who need
the cry goes up with blinding speed for Underdog (Underdog!)
Underdog (Underdog!)
Speed of lightning, roar of thunder
Fighting all who rob or plunder
Underdog (ah-ah-ah-ah)
Underdog
Underdog!

One of the city's most lovable (humble?) characters was Shoe Shine Boy
"All finished sir"
"Thanks Shoe Shine Boy.  You're humble and lovable."
"Bless you sir."  (Bites coin.)
Little did anyone know that when there was a call for help (Help! Help Help!)
Shoe Shine Boy became in real life
(da da-da da da da da)
Underdog!

When Polly's in trouble I am not slow,
it's hip hip hip and away I go!

This secret ring with which I fill,
with an Underdog super energy pill.

Cast:
Good Guys -- Underdog/Shoe Shine Boy, Sweet Polly Purebread
Bad Guys -- Simon Bar Sinister (his arch enemy) and Cad, his assistant
            Riff Raff
            Mole Man (I could be confusing this with the Fantastic Four)

Guests:  Commander McBragg  (Quite.)
         Go Go Gophers
         Tennessee Tuxedo (will NOT fail!) and Chumley the Walrus

This was FUN!
--
Hug me till you drug me, honey!

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (08/31/84)

#R:aluxe:-32400:uokvax:6000015:000:807
uokvax!emjej    Aug 31 08:04:00 1984

/***** uokvax:net.tv / aluxe!jmd /  6:37 pm  Aug 28, 1984 */

After that, everyone went blank, although we do know a magic bag of tricks
is mentioned somewhere.  We couldn't come up with much more for "Underdog".
So any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
						aluxe!jmd
/* ---------- */

<Initial four lines that I can't remember>
...the cry goes out for [Underdog! (Underdog!)] * 2
	C#M              Fm	    ???
Speed of lightning, roar of thunder
Fm		    AbM
Fighting all who rob or plunder
Fm		 AbM
Underdog. . .	. . .	. . .			Underdog    Underdog!
CM      (odd transition that I've forgotten)	F#M Fm ???  Fm

Ah, yes; who could forget Riff Raff, or Simon Bar Sinister? (but I do forget
his assistant's name)

				"Why, thank you, Shoe Shine;
				you're humble and lovable."

				James Jones

perl@rdin.UUCP (Robert Perlberg) (09/05/84)

<>

>When in this world the headlines read
>of those whose hearts are filled with greed
>who rob and steal from those who need
>the cry goes up with blinding speed for Underdog (Underdog!)
>Underdog (Underdog!)
>Speed of lightning, roar of thunder
>Fighting all who rob or plunder
>Underdog (ah-ah-ah-ah)
>Underdog
>Underdog!
>

>Greg Skinner (gregbo)
>{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo

I believe the fourth line was:

To right this wrong with blinding speed goes (comes?) Underdog.

Thank you, Greg; you're humble and lovable.

Robert Perlberg
Resource Dynamics Inc.
New York
philabs!rdin!perl

perl@rdin.UUCP (09/05/84)

<>

BTW, the announcer on Underdog was not Don Pardo.

Robert Perlberg
Resource Dynamics Inc.
New York
philabs!rdin!perl

cdrigney@uokvax.UUCP (02/06/86)

<No more meta-meta-reports!>

Although today's cartoons are largely a cultural wasteland
compared to the old Rocky & Bullwinkle, Johnny Quest, or even
Herculoids, there are some reasonable series:

1) Japanimation, especially Robotech and Captain Harlock. These
are great, when not put through a cuisinart like Battle of the
Planets was (hackwork based on the very good Science Ninja Team
Gatchaman).

2) Thundercats.  Flame away, but I think there's real potential
here, underneath the kiddy-coating.  There's actually visible
plots and characterization, which is more than can be said for
many live-action prime time series.  It's major flaw is using the
same villains every episode, and the villains are too pretentious
and not interesting enough to be worth using every time.

3) Silverhawks.  Very similar to Thundercats in general scope,
although they have an entire Galaxy to play in, and aren't cats,
but cyborgs.  Although there are definitely some grating elements
in this, it shows considerable potential - that's only on the
basis of the 1-hour origin episode, imaginatively titled "The
Origin Story."  This series is done by the same people who do
Thundercats, I believe (Rankin-Bass), and it shows.  I hope
they're not just planning to recycle all their Thundercats
scripts...

Anyone care to add anything to this list?  Comments, suggestions
and flames will all be cheerfully accepted - I love mail.

And for all you Quest fans, good news!  There's soon to be a
Johnny Quest comic book published by Comico, who also does the
so-so adaptations of RoboTech.

		--Carl Rigney
USENET:		{ihnp4,allegra!cbosgd}!okstate!uokvax!cdrigney

But who can forget "Gloop and Gleep, the formless, fearless wonders!"

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (M. A. Upmalis) (02/08/86)

In article <6000031@uokvax.UUCP> cdrigney@uokvax.UUCP writes:
>2) Thundercats.  Flame away, but I think there's real potential
>here, underneath the kiddy-coating.  There's actually visible
>plots and characterization, which is more than can be said for
>many live-action prime time series.  It's major flaw is using the
>same villains every episode, and the villains are too pretentious
>and not interesting enough to be worth using every time.

I haven't watched the show, but while zapping I noticed that the credits
list a psychologist as a consultant.  If it helps with teaching children
healthier things about morality and sex roles and other things, it might
be a refreshing change....

--
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

		ihnp4!watmath!watarts!mupmalis

Chemistry is useful both in Modern Medicine and the treatment of Steel.

				Mr. Sanderson in "Big Meat Eater"

avery@puff.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (02/08/86)

I happen to enjoy the show "Terrahawks". It's a very well done piece of
physical animation. The plots that I've seen so far have been imaginative
and interesting. One of our local stations has recently started showing
it late Saturday mornings, and I haven't seen all that many episodes, but
they've been consistent. Anyone else out there seen it? A friend of mine
says that he used to watch it in Canada about 8 years ago.
Also, I thought CBS's contract with AT&T had a few years left on it, thus
preventing stereo broadcast for awhile. Could someone please inform me of
any change in this? Thank you.

Aaron Avery (avery@puff.wisc.edu)