[net.tv] ALL-TIME Best / Worst TV show - Survey Update

msf@rayssd.UUCP (Michael S. Frank) (02/04/86)

Here it is, the first update in the all-time best/worst tv show survey.
I'm still taking votes; please EMAIL me your top and bottom three; I'll
post updates when I feel like it, and a final when replies stop trickling in.

BEST                POINTS   FIRSTS
----                ------   ------
Star Trek               10      3
Hill Street Blues        8      2
Police Squad             4      1
MASH                     4

WORST               POINTS   FIRSTS
-----               ------   ------
The A-Team               5      1
Misfits of Science       4      1
Battlestar Galactica     3      1
Hello Larry              3      1
Laverne and Shirley      3      1
Ocean Quest              3      1
The A Team               3      1
The Adams Family         3      1
The Dukes of Hazzard     3      1
V                        3      1
--
Michael Frank
allegra!rayssd!msf

<Include generic and specific disclaimers>
<about everything I say, do, and think!  >

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Mr. Berry) (02/05/86)

I'm pleased to see Star Trek as Number 1.  I wouldn't agree it's
technically (or even all-around) the best, but there's nothing
I'd rather watch--sentimental favorite, I guess.

The big surprise for me is Misfits of Science is currently
second worst!???!  I think the show is quite funny and a
wonderful spoof (of what, I'm not too sure :-)).  Could it
be people are actually taking this show seriously?  Of course,
I liked the old Batman show for the same reason--a real riot.

Naturally, I could just be weird...

"You!  What PLANET is this?"
		Scott J. Berry		ihnp4!hou2g!scott

baron@harvard.UUCP (Jeff Baron) (02/15/86)

In article <1939@rayssd.UUCP> msf@rayssd.UUCP (Michael S. Frank) writes:

>Here it is, the first update in the all-time best/worst tv show survey.
>I'm still taking votes; please EMAIL me your top and bottom three; I'll
>post updates when I feel like it, and a final when replies stop trickling in.
>

>BEST                POINTS   FIRSTS
>----                ------   ------
>Star Trek               10      3
>Hill Street Blues        8      2
>Police Squad             4      1
>MASH                     4

As far as the worst TV shows go, I think that it would be hard to narrow the
list to anything under a 100 or so...
I would suppose that it just depend on what your
criteria of worst really us.

The same goes for "best", but I must say that I am disappointed with the
results so far (Although there are only a few responses, apparently.)
I would judge "best" as some combination of the number of people
watching them, the "quality" of the show (although this is
admittedly judgemental), how much the show "influenced" programming
in the future, etc.
I would say that it would be hard to name only three. Among my choices
would be (in no particular order):
	"See It Now" (ER Murrow, news show from the 50's)
	"60 Minutes"
	"All in the Family" (beats MASH by a mile, in my opnion. I always thought
		that it was more though-provoking...)
	"Mary Tyler Moore" (personally my favorite comedy)
	"Dallas" (certainly has been influential, like it or not)
	"The Ed Sullivan Show"
	"The Tonight Show"
	"Meet the Press" ("This Week" is better though, I think, but it is new...)

I'm sure that lots of people will disagree, and admittedly, I've left out a
good number of quality shows. I just think that it is wrong to judge shows
by what one individual thinks of a show; after all, the "people" vote by
watching it, and who are we to judge their habits. All of the good reviews
in the world won't save a show plagued by bad ratings (eg "Mary".)

					Jeff Baron
					{allegra,genrad,ucbvax}!harvard!baron