[net.tv] REAL Meta-Humour

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (02/25/86)

In article <4433MW9@PSUVM> MW9@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>I didn't mean it wasn't weird, but it was too obvious to be meta.
>Meta, as I see it, has to be clever and you have to be paying
>attention to catch it.  It is subtle.  It is *not* turning to the
>camera and saying, "Hi, I'm a tv character."   bleh!

I wholeheartedly agree. My favourite example of meta-humour occurred
on the first episode of Hart-to-Hart, where John proposes to Jennifer
and Jennifer expresses doubts about whether she could live with the
wild action of John's investigative hobby. John replies, "Well, I hardly
think that you and I will run into a murder EVERY WEEK."

Now that's my kind of meta-humour!

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgua!cylixd!dave)