[net.tv] worst commercials of 1985

jeffj@sfmin.UUCP (J.S.Jonas) (01/29/86)

[so don't delay, send today just $6.95 for records, $8.95 for cassettes]

	Remember how we had the year of the jean commercial,
the computer commercials, etc...  Well, 1985 was not a banner year
for commercials.  We weren't deluged like past years in any product,
although the commercials were overpopulated by yuppie casts.

	My nomination for the vaguest commercial is the one for
'Popular Club Plan'. I still don't know what or where it is, just that some
women are in an office chatting about shopping.  One says "I'm your faithful
shopping secretary".  What kind of job title is that - a full time
shopper?  She's apparently not too good at describing what she does
nor her products.

	Northern toilet paper - the kid is just obnoxious.
First she kicks (presumably) Mr. Wiffle, now she's stuffing her pants.

-------
Jeff 'aye captain' Skot
{ihnp4 | allegra | decvax ...} attunix ! jeffj

oh yes, did I mention that I *hate*
	Smurfs
	Rainbow Brite
	Care Bears
	Strawberry Shortcake
	He-Man
	She-Ra
	Get Along Gang (well like most cats, I like Zipper)
	Transformers and all other Japanese robot spinoffs.

ins_aset@jhunix.UUCP (Sue Trowbridge) (01/31/86)

> [so don't delay, send today just $6.95 for records, $8.95 for cassettes]
>
> 	Remember how we had the year of the jean commercial,
> the computer commercials, etc...  Well, 1985 was not a banner year
> for commercials.  We weren't deluged like past years in any product,
> although the commercials were overpopulated by yuppie casts.

Some more nominations --

McDonald's "Hand-Warming" ads
Jamie Farr rewarding himself with a Mars Bar
HEFTY HEFTY HEFTY -- wimpy wimpy wimpy
Any very long commercial selling magazine subscriptions (i.e. Read TIME and
understand)

I have gotten into the habit of videotaping EVERYTHING to watch at a later
date so that I can scan thru the commercials.  I think of the millions of
$$$'s the advertisers spend on putting their annoying productions on the
air, and how their messages are lost on me.  Ha ha ha ha ha.

--

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Sue Trowbridge

"You've been laying eggs under my skin
 And now they're hatching out under my chin"

bitnet: ins_aset@jhunix.BITNET
arpa  : ins_aset%jhunix.BITNET@wiscum.WISC.EDU
uucp  : ...{ihnp4!whuxcc | seismo!umcp-cs | allegra!hopkins} jhunix!ins_aset
	OR ...decvax!decuac!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_aset

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (01/31/86)

Oh, boy, a Totally Bad Commercials discussion! My nomination for
Commercial That Most Insulted My Intelligence is... are you ready?...

		* GRAPEFRUIT 45 *

Especially the one that came out in 1985 and started off with this
guy saying, "Look... I'm gonna put it to you straight. What's in this
(holds up grapefruit)... is in this (holds up bottle of pills). I know
many of you believe that grapefruit helps reduce weight (fine print at
bottom of screen appears, saying "based on independent scientific
survey")..."

I puke whenever I see this scam advertised.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (02/03/86)

How about most offensive commercial?

How about the one with the yuppy male type with blow-dried hair
that eyes the camera in a fashion intended to look frank and honest
and says 'When I see a girl sweat, it just turns me right off.'

I want ta hit 'em.  Many times.

				Ron
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		ihnp4!pesnta!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (02/03/86)

> I have gotten into the habit of videotaping EVERYTHING to watch at a later
> date so that I can scan thru the commercials.  I think of the millions of
> $$$'s the advertisers spend on putting their annoying productions on the
> air, and how their messages are lost on me.  Ha ha ha ha ha.
>
> --
>
> *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
> Sue Trowbridge

You make a good point.  Sponsers are becoming aware of this growing trend
and are trying to make commercials more interesting to watch.  The VCR will
be to commercials what death is to evolution; only the strong (good!) will
survive.

> I have gotten into the habit of videotaping EVERYTHING to watch at a later
> date so that I can scan thru the commercials.  I think of the millions of
> $$$'s the advertisers spend on putting their annoying productions on the
> air, and how their messages are lost on me.  Ha ha ha ha ha.

	I have been a Saturday Night Live fan for years, but most of the
time I tape it because that show seems to have the worst commercial-to-program
ratio.  One night I actually measured the commercial time with a stopwatch,
and it was 13 minutes per hour, which I believe exceeds network guidelines
(9 minutes per hour max?).  That sucks.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

jim@hcrvax.UUCP (Jim Sullivan) (02/06/86)

I don't know if anyone has seen this one, but my vote for the worst
commercial of the year would be the maxithin commercials.  There are
two of them.  In the first one, this lady is sliding down a muddy
jungle trail (straight out of Romancing the Stone).  When she reaches
the bottom she lands on her butt in a large puddle.  ANd the first thing
she does is check her hip pocket to see that the maxithin (packed in a
watertight package) is ok !

In the second one, there are spy's and a female agent.  The bad guys
catch the girl, got through her purse and escape with the microfilm.
But no, it's her maxithin's that they have !

Now before you gang up on me and tell me I's a sexist pig, my wife and
her sister agrees with me.  Dumb commercials.

Jim Sullivan

stu16@whuxl.UUCP (SMITH) (02/10/86)

> > I have gotten into the habit of videotaping EVERYTHING to watch at a later
> > date so that I can scan thru the commercials.  I think of the millions of
> > $$$'s the advertisers spend on putting their annoying productions on the
> > air, and how their messages are lost on me.  Ha ha ha ha ha.
>
> 	I have been a Saturday Night Live fan for years, but most of the
> time I tape it because that show seems to have the worst commercial-to-program
> ratio.  One night I actually measured the commercial time with a stopwatch,
> and it was 13 minutes per hour, which I believe exceeds network guidelines
> (9 minutes per hour max?).  That sucks.

      9 minutes /hr? During Peter The Great, I timed the
commercials. 5 minutes of PTG, then 4 minutes of ads, then 5
minutes of PTG and 4 minutes of ads - and so on and so on
and so on for the 2 nights I watched (could only stand so
much of that). It might have been very good, but who could tell?
Would have taped it, but VHS was being used for something else
(no, NOT Sins).
--
whuxl!stu16

MW9@PSUVM.BITNET (02/11/86)

>oh yes, did I mention that I *hate*
>        Smurfs
>        Rainbow Brite
>        Care Bears
>        Strawberry Shortcake

Not really about commercials but this reminds me a great line I
*think* I read in National Lampoon:

Rainbow Brite: A girl who is so sickeningly sweet she makes
               Strawberry Shortcake want to put spiders down her dress.

hehehehe
-------

Michael S. Weiss
The Pennsylvania State University
MW9@PSUVM.BITNET

<* The opinions expressed by me do not reflect those held  *>
<* by my school nor those of my employer.  (If I had one.) *>

mwtilden@watmath.UUCP (M.W. Tilden, Hardware) (02/27/86)

In article <2173@hcrvax.UUCP> jim@hcrvax.UUCP (Jim Sullivan) writes:
>I don't know if anyone has seen this one, but my vote for the worst
>commercial of the year would be the maxithin commercials.  There are
>two of them.  In the first one, this lady is sliding down a muddy
>jungle trail (straight out of Romancing the Stone).  When she reaches
>the bottom she lands on her butt in a large puddle.  ANd the first thing
>she does is check her hip pocket to see that the maxithin (packed in a
>watertight package) is ok !
>
>In the second one, there are spy's and a female agent.  The bad guys
>catch the girl, got through her purse and escape with the microfilm.
>But no, it's her maxithin's that they have !

A woman stands to one side of the screen with both her hands behind her back
facing an elder woman. The opening line (in her best aren't-you-excited-about
-this voice.) is...

  "Mom, which hand holds the latest in feminine deoderant napkin protection?"

I almost died from laughing. It was *so* bad!

Does anybody remember this ad? I only saw it once and if it weren't for
witnesses would probably doubt it ever happened. It was just horrific!
Still, I haven't laughed so hard since I saw a similar ad for...

  "frozen Doche Concentrate"

...in a medical supply catalog.

Sorry if I've offended anybody but the maxithins commercials are tame
compared to *this*.

Mark

"You can't prove you *really* exist so my opinions don't matter anyway..."