[net.tv] Popeye & Max Fleicher

m128a3aw@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Sean "Yoda" Rouse) (02/20/86)

In article <545@drutx.UUCP> dlo@drutx.UUCP (OlsonDL) writes:
>>> Don't your remember the days of Bugs Bunny, The Roadrunner,
>>> Droopy, and The old Scooby-Doo?  Now, THOSE were cartoons.
>>>
>>> Smiley.
>
>>I do have to add a few others,
>>though, especially MY favorite, "Tom & Jerry", circa mid 1950's. Also as
>>honorable mentions, "Yogi Bear", "Rocky and Bullwinkle", "Super Chicken",
>>"George of The Jungle" (we're talking OLD here!!!!).

George of the Jungle, Super Chicken, old? wait a sec, those are'nt old for
cartoons. Felix the Cat is older by far (did you know that Felix was the
first network tv show ever broadcast?) but if you want to talk about old
cartoons....

>Does anybody remember the Max Fletcher (sp?) cartoons of Popeye.  They
>were fun, and I still marvel at how meticulous the artwork was done.
>The details, even in the background, was so fine and sharp that you could
>see individual leaves in the trees, bricks in the buildings, and stones
>and ruts in the roads.  The perspective gave a real sense of depth.  As
>scenes are panned, images move as they would in real life.  As I kid, I
>first saw them in the 50's, but I know they are older than that.  Good
>stuff.

Max Fleicher's (sp?) Popeye's are old. We're talking black and white stuff.
Yes, I remember them. They used to show them on Captain Kangaroo when I was
a VERY little kid. It's been quite a while since I last saw Popeye (except
for the newer ones with Brutus, the Sea Hag, the Goon, the Jeep, etc. which
WTBS shows during Bugs Bunny and Friends) but I still remember them. Fleicher
also did some other stuff (Kathy, do you want to follow up this one for me?)
including some Superman stories which are on video tape (go by your nearest
Target! store) but I don't know anything more than that. Anyway, I think most of
Fleicher's Popeye is 1930's stuff. If you watch any of them, you should notice
that the animation is better than what Disney put out in black and white.

After Fleicher, Popeye was picked up by Paramount. More people have probably
seen these, bacause they're in color. After that, King Features made some more
and then lastly Popeye came back in the late seventies or was it eighty for
one season on Saturday morning.

Now for a comment: Wouldn't it be nice if they had video tapes of good old
uncut classic cartoons. We're talking Max Fleicher, MGM, Warner Bros., and
other real oldies.

					-Sean "Yoda" Rouse
					temporarily on brahms
UUCP: ucbvax!cory!cc-30
ARPA: cc-30@cory.berkeley.edu

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (02/20/86)

Actually, Felix the Cat is quite old.  The one most people remember is
the second version.  The original Felix cartoons predate even Mickey
Mouse.  The cartoons were silent.  Felix was little more than a stick
figure.  I'd guess the timeframe is about 1925.

mwtilden@watmath.UUCP (M.W. Tilden, Hardware) (02/27/86)

In article <11936@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> m128a3aw@brahms.UUCP (Sean "Yoda" Rouse) writes:

>Now for a comment: Wouldn't it be nice if they had video tapes of good old
>uncut classic cartoons. We're talking Max Fleicher, MGM, Warner Bros., and
>other real oldies.

Hear,hear! It has always astonished me that really big video stores carry
junk like 'The adventures of Archie' while missing out on all the *real*
stuff. Maybe we could form a petition?

Other things I wish they'd put in Video stores are the range of Japanimation
sci-fi epics that seem to be so popular over there but not here alas. Shows
like Star Blazers, Robotech and Captian (somebody) and the Jewel of 1000 stars.
Robotech is my favorite because it's the only one playing around here just
now and also the only one I've seen.
It follows the Marvel Comics genre' pretty closely, high action,
reasonable storylines, character development and *no* cutesy robots. I'm
actually quite impressed with an animated series that kills off major
characters occasionally and also does things that make major changes in
the storyline.

For example, one episode the commander of an immense fleet
of space warships threatens at the beginning to destroy the Earth. Big deal,
happens on 10 other shows daily and in comics at least 20 times a month.
Only in this case he actually does it! Razes the entire planet and graphically
too! Mankind as a civilization wiped off 95% of the map!

Great stuff!

Compare this to everything-must-be-the-same-way-we-left-it cartoons like
He-man, Thundercats or even Tom and Jerry. This type of animation has been
a long time coming and I for one would see more of it! Anybody know if there's
something new on the way?

Anyway, that's my two cents worth...

Mark

"You can't prove you *really* exist so my opinions don't matter anyway..."