[net.tv] MacGyver

manderso@sdcsvax.UUCP (Mark Anderson) (11/06/85)

In article <692@hou2g.UUCP> scott@hou2g.UUCP (Colonel'K) writes:
>Why don't you all stop complaining and watch MacGyver instead?
>It's a little bit comic bookish, with dubious scientific "tricks",
>but the dialogue is solidly written, and it's CONSISTENT.
>
>				Scott Berry

I would like to second this suggestion. I've enjoyed the show quite
a bit. I read in an interview of the actor who plays MacGyver that
the "dubious scientific 'tricks' " are check out by some people at
CalTech. If people start to watch this program (which I hope will
happen since the ratings could use a boost) I hope they can show
some restraint before yelling about all the scientific "errors".

				Mark Anderson

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/12/85)

>Why don't you all stop complaining and watch MacGyver instead?
>It's a little bit comic bookish, with dubious scientific "tricks",
>but the dialogue is solidly written, and it's CONSISTENT.

Maybe I'll give it another try. I thought the first episode was entertaining
enough, but I gave up after the second one. I thought it was really clever of
him to rip the back seat out of a car, get into the trunk, jimmy the trunk
lock, and jump out just half a second before the car is crushed, rather
than opening the door and getting out with a minute to spare the way a less
clever person would have done. Maybe the idea was to so amaze the bad guys
that they don't shoot him like they should have in the first place.

Ok, so deathtraps are a tradition for this kind of fiction, but this was
just silly. The rest of the plot was moronic, with an A-team ending. I'll
give it another shot, but it better be a lot better than this.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"A flash in front of my eyes ... I blink ... open my eyes to ... discover I am
 a dog in a pickup truck full of garbage ... no one but me sees the lid blow
 off the can ... it's 14 miles to the dump ... this is ... at last ... heaven."

masuma@druhi.UUCP (Masuma Rahman) (02/27/86)

Does anyone know what's wrong with that show?  Why have they been
showing MASH at that time instead?  I was just wondering if anything
was wrong in producing the show, which is why they have nothing to
show?!!!  Any comments on it?

*Just curious*

lo@harvard.UUCP (Bert S.F. Lo) (02/28/86)

In article <164@druhi.UUCP>, masuma@druhi.UUCP (Masuma Rahman) writes:
> Does anyone know what's wrong with that show?  Why have they been showing
> MASH at that time instead?  I was just wondering if anything was wrong in
> producing the show, which is why they have nothing to show?  Any comments
> on it?

MacGyver is still showing on Wednesdays at 8 pm on ABC in Boston. It could be
that your local ABC affiliate isn't getting enough viewers from the show and
just decided to show something else in its place.

For example, on Thursdays at 8 pm on WCVB (the local ABC affiliate) in Boston,
it's showing Fame. Now I know this is a syndicated show, so they must have
kicked out the regular ABC program. (By the way, what is supposed to show on
ABC in that timeslot?)

twb@mhuxh.UUCP (twb) (03/02/86)

> For example, on Thursdays at 8 pm on WCVB (the local ABC affiliate) in Boston
> it's showing Fame. Now I know this is a syndicated show, so they must have
> kicked out the regular ABC program. (By the way, what is supposed to show on
> ABC in that timeslot?)

ABC in New York shows "Ripley's Believe It or Not!" Thursdays at 8pm.
This past week's (2/27) installment is listed as a re-run.

Tom.