[net.tv] More favorite cartoons.

wed@drutx.UUCP (DeibertWE) (02/19/86)

King Leonardo (and his friend, "True Blue Odie Colonie")
		...also starring Itchy Brother and Biggy Rat

Quick Draw McGraw
	        _     _
	yippie yi yo kiayyye
	gallopin' all the way
	here comes Quick Draw McGraw
	he's the rootin' tootin'est
	fastest shootin'est
	quick draw you ever saw

Felix the Cat (the wonderful, wonderful cat)

Tom T-E-R-R-I-F-I-C  {I think I remember that Tom Terrific starred on
    		      the Captain Kangaroo Show alongside Mr. Green Jeans
		      and Dancing Bear.}

William D.

wgr@rti-sel.UUCP (02/21/86)

In article <619@drutx.UUCP> wed@drutx.UUCP (DeibertWE) writes:

>Tom T-E-R-R-I-F-I-C  {I think I remember that Tom Terrific starred on
>    		      the Captain Kangaroo Show alongside Mr. Green Jeans
>		      and Dancing Bear.}

Who remembers the name of the villain in the Tom Terrific cartoon, or
what item Tom had that made him "terrific"?

bruce@factron.uucp (Bruce Barnett) (02/23/86)

In article <681@rti-sel.UUCP> wgr@rti-sel.UUCP (Bucky Ransdell) writes:
>Who remembers the name of the villain in the Tom Terrific cartoon, or
>what item Tom had that made him "terrific"?

Crabby Appleton -  which was also the name of some rock group.
For some reason it seems he had a funnel on his head that was special,
but perhaps it was really the Tin Woodsman of Oz.

Then there was Manfred the Wonderdog. Also, didn't Tom Terrific have that
gimmick with a clean plastic sheet you put on the TV, and they showed you some
lines on the TV that you traced? Then they showed some more lines, and if you
were *privleged* enough to have this Tom Terrific decoder sheet, you would
get a *special* clue to how TT would get out of a jam?

BTW what year was Tom Terrific shown?
This was my earliest memory of TV. My facts may be fuzzy.

-Bruce Barnett

In article <119@factron.uucp> I wrote:
>Also, didn't Tom Terrific have that
>gimmick with a clean plastic sheet you put on the TV
> etc.

or was it Winky Dink? Forgive me. I was very young then.
-Bruce

mrc@panda.UUCP (Mike R. Connell) (02/24/86)

In article <681@rti-sel.UUCP> wgr@rti-sel.UUCP (Bucky Ransdell) writes:
>In article <619@drutx.UUCP> wed@drutx.UUCP (DeibertWE) writes:
>>
>>Tom T-E-R-R-I-F-I-C  {I think I remember that Tom Terrific starred on
>>    		      the Captain Kangaroo Show alongside Mr. Green Jeans
>>		      and Dancing Bear.}
>
>Who remembers the name of the villain in the Tom Terrific cartoon, or
>what item Tom had that made him "terrific"?

The villain was Crabby Appleton. (always loved that name!)

What made Tom terrific was his ability to change into any shape he wished.

Now two questions back at you....What was Tom's dog's name?
				 What was it about Tom that always remained
				 same no matter what shape he was in?

				"It drives like a truck"
				"What is truck?"

					MRC

wgr@rti-sel.UUCP (02/25/86)

In article <119@factron.uucp> bruce@factron.UUCP (Bruce Barnett) writes:
>Crabby Appleton -  which was also the name of some rock group.
>For some reason it seems he had a funnel on his head that was special,
>but perhaps it was really the Tin Woodsman of Oz.

>BTW what year was Tom Terrific shown?
>This was my earliest memory of TV. My facts may be fuzzy.

The funnel on Tom's head *was* very similar to the Tin Woodsman's hat,
but Tom's was called his "magic thinking cap", or some such.  It enabled
him to transform himself into different things, apparently anything that
he could imagine.  I remember it made a funny sound when he changed into
something:  "da da DOO doo doo."

It seems to me that Tom Terrific was a segment of the Captain Kangaroo
Show for a long time (i.e. more than one year), but I really can't
remember, either.

wkb@cbsck.UUCP (William K. Brummett) (02/25/86)

RE: Tom Terrific from Captain Kangaroo

>Now two questions back at you....What was Tom's dog's name?
				  What was it about Tom that always remained
				  same no matter what shape he was in?

If memory serves, his faithful companion was MIGHTY MANFRED the WONDER DOG!
And the item common to his disguises was his hat, which I believe was a
funnel of some sort (didn't it boil and spout when he was thinking?).

                                  Trivially yours,

                                  W. Keith Brummett
                                  AT&T-NS/Bell Labs
                                  Columbus, Ohio

                               ...!cbosgd!cbsck!wkb

eric@chronon.UUCP (Eric Black) (02/26/86)

>In article <681@rti-sel.UUCP> wgr@rti-sel.UUCP (Bucky Ransdell) writes:
>>In article <619@drutx.UUCP> wed@drutx.UUCP (DeibertWE) writes:
>>>
>>>Tom T-E-R-R-I-F-I-C  {I think I remember that Tom Terrific starred on
>>>    		      the Captain Kangaroo Show alongside Mr. Green Jeans
>>>		      and Dancing Bear.}
>>
>>Who remembers the name of the villain in the Tom Terrific cartoon, or
>>what item Tom had that made him "terrific"?
>

>The villain was Crabby Appleton. (always loved that name!)
>
>What made Tom terrific was his ability to change into any shape he wished.
>
>Now two questions back at you....What was Tom's dog's name?
>				 What was it about Tom that always remained
>				 same no matter what shape he was in?
>
>				"It drives like a truck"
>				"What is truck?"
>
>					MRC

"... and his dog, Manfred!"

(of course, the funnel hat is what remains).

How about "Winky Dink and You", also seen on the Captain's show from
time to time.  There was a tracing/transparency kit you could get by mail;
put the transparent sheet on your TV screen, and trace the shape when
told to do so.  In the next scene, the (triangle, square, circle, whatever)
you drew becomes an integral part of the rescue.

--
Eric Black   "Garbage In, Gospel Out"
UUCP:        {ucbvax}!sun!chronon!eric

mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) (02/27/86)

> In article <681@rti-sel.UUCP> wgr@rti-sel.UUCP (Bucky Ransdell) writes:
> >In article <619@drutx.UUCP> wed@drutx.UUCP (DeibertWE) writes:
> >>
> >>Tom T-E-R-R-I-F-I-C  {I think I remember that Tom Terrific starred on
> >>    		      the Captain Kangaroo Show alongside Mr. Green Jeans
> >>		      and Dancing Bear.}
> >
> >Who remembers the name of the villain in the Tom Terrific cartoon, or
> >what item Tom had that made him "terrific"?
>
> The villain was Crabby Appleton. (always loved that name!)
> What made Tom terrific was his ability to change into any shape he wished.
>
> Now two questions back at you....What was Tom's dog's name?

Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog!

> 				 What was it about Tom that always remained
> 				 same no matter what shape he was in?

His eyes and his hat that looked like a funnel.

Mike Clifford

> 					MRC

wheel@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler) (02/28/86)

I call them oldies, since they've long vanished from saturday morning entertain-ment, but still new in long terms  (early seventies on)

Hmm, how about Hong Kong Phooey?  Jumping in the file cabinet?  The cat, Spot,
or something?  The chubby sgt that always went "ooh!  ooh!"   The car that
changed at the ring of a gong?   Classic...  :-)

Lets see, the Banana Splits had some good ones.  What did they have?  Hmm the
Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer, Becky Thatcher adventures with cartoons all around...
the arabian knights... uh.... 4 musketeers...and something with Gulliver and theLiliputians..  Oh well, all  better than the live-action Danger Island or
whatever.

Now that I've got you all here, I cant remember any good cartoons. >sigh<

How about a tribute to saturday morning tv?  And a special section to the
B-class shows that cluttered the lineup years ago:

Sid and Marty Kroft...

Marshall, Will, and Holly... on a routine expidition, met the greatest earth-
quake....ever known...

Land of the Lost, with dinosaur puppets and the laughable sleestak!

Dr. Shrinker, with Billy Barty as his bumbling assistant, and those lovable
(loveable) little shrinkies!!

Space Nuts, with Bob Denver as a bumbling but friendly space traveller
with a slimey alien at his side!

Sigmund the Sea Monster, with the kid from Family Affair and a greeen sea mon-
ster who has to be hidden from the outside world!

Dont remember the name, but Ruth Buzzi and Jim Nabors (neighbors?) played
robots who could shoot lasers out of their elbows!

Bugaloos, british bugs who ran around flying and singing, and it was sickening
to watch!

Super Bug, the car that transformed into a lovable talking car when danger
struck!

Bigfoot and Wildboy, with a sasquatch that could throw boulders (constantly)
and a blond teenager who could run around next to him!

Electro Woman and Dyna Girl, with two women who are totally inconspicuous in
their secret identities, especially because nobody seems to notice the huge
wrist computers they wear!

Oh, oh... have I run out?  Heaven forbid!  If you know of any more S&MK
shows that I havent listed, please leave email!

Argh!  Someone sent a path to me and I forgot it!  I'll re-read the mail, and
have it next time!

arlo@ssc-vax.UUCP (James Campiche) (02/28/86)

> >>Tom T-E-R-R-I-F-I-C  {I think I remember that Tom Terrific starred on
> >>    		      the Captain Kangaroo Show alongside Mr. Green Jeans
> >>		      and Dancing Bear.}
> >
> >Who remembers the name of the villain in the Tom Terrific cartoon, or
> >what item Tom had that made him "terrific"?
>

> The villain was Crabby Appleton. (always loved that name!)
>
> What made Tom terrific was his ability to change into any shape he wished.
>
> Now two questions back at you....What was Tom's dog's name?
> 				 What was it about Tom that always remained
> 				 same no matter what shape he was in?

How could you forget Mighty Manfred, Tom's loyal dog (who was always
snoozing flat on his back)?

Tom's hat (which was a common kitchen funnel) remained no matter what
Tom was transformed to.

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (03/01/86)

In article <436@utastro.UUCP> wheel@utastro.UUCP writes:
>I call them oldies, since they've long vanished from saturday morning entertain-ment, but still new in long terms  (early seventies on)
>

>Lets see, the Banana Splits had some good ones.  What did they have?  Hmm the
>Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer, Becky Thatcher adventures with cartoons all around...
>the arabian knights... uh.... 4 musketeers...and something with Gulliver and theLiliputians..  Oh well, all  better than the live-action Danger Island or
>whatever.

WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST DANGER ISLAND?  "Uh oh, Chongo..."

>Sid and Marty Kroft...
>
>Super Bug, the car that transformed into a lovable talking car when danger
>struck!

Long live the Shlep-mobile.

>Oh, oh... have I run out?  Heaven forbid!  If you know of any more S&MK
>shows that I havent listed, please leave email!

Although they weren't S&MK, lemme see, there was Shazam (you'd never guess
how long it took me to realize that mentor was a word and not a name), and
Ark II.  I always thought it was a neat vehicle, and the jet-pack was amusing
too.

-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

"Godzilla has been spotted in Sector 5!"

jgd@uwmcsd1.UUCP (John G Dobnick) (03/03/86)

From various people:
> > >what item Tom had that made him "terrific"?
> >
> > The villain was Crabby Appleton. (always loved that name!)
> >
> > What made Tom terrific was his ability to change into any shape he wished.

But... but...  everyone has forgotten the descriptive phrase that was
always attached to Mr. Appleton:

	Crabby Appleton, he's rotten to the core!

John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
UUCP: ...ihnp4!uwmcsd1!jgd	INTERNET: uwmacc!uwmcsd1!jgd@rsch.wisc.edu

wiebe@ut-ngp.UUCP (Anne Hill Wiebe) (03/04/86)

It was his funnel hat that made him able to change into any shape.
He called it his thinking cap ... in fact, I've always fondly
remembered Tom Terrific because he had to put on his thinking cap
(at the beginning of every show) just to remember what his name was!

What a brain!

Anne Hill Wiebe
(wiebe@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU, or !ihnp4!ut-ngp!wiebe, or
!allegra!ut-ngp!wiebe)

m128a3aw@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Sean "Yoda" Rouse) (03/05/86)

In article <436@utastro.UUCP> wheel@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler) writes:
>Oh, oh... have I run out?  Heaven forbid!  If you know of any more S&MK
>shows that I havent listed, please leave email!

Since the path is a little bit long, I posted.

How could you forget H.R. Pufenstuff (sp). I remember those when I was a wee
little lad. It was originally on NBC, and probably was one S&MK's first Saturday
morning shows. H.R. by the way made a cameo appearence in CHiPs. Erik Estrada
pulled him over for speeding, and he was in his costume (or something like that)
and Erik's partner didn't know who it was. Anyway, Erik then said something like
"That's H.R. Pufenstuff!" and recalled the show.

This brings up a different question.
Does anyother network refer to it's old shows as much as NBC does?

				-Sean "Yoda" Rouse
ARPA: 	cc-30@cory.berkeley.edu
UUCP: 	ucbvax!cory!cc-30

"Television...destroys the mind, corrupts the soul."
                              --Remington Steele