[net.tv] Inside Humor - St. Elsewhere 2/19

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (02/21/86)

In <370@hjuxa.UUCP> akl@hjuxa.UUCP (Anita K. Laux) writes:
>Last night's episode of "St. Elsewhere" was part one of a two-part series
>that concludes tonight. Centering around the hospital's 50th anniversary,
>a series of flashbacks are presented from the years 1935, 1965 and 1975, as
>well as the present-day scenes. Did anyone catch the two "inside" jokes ?
>When it's 1965, a quick pan across the waiting room shows a tv set displaying
>the old NBC peacock, with the voice-over, "...NBC's Wonderful World of Color..."

Unless I was hallucinating at the time, the greatest irony of the scene with
the NBC peacock on the TV was that it was a black & white television!
--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman                        			    mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

I speak, therefore I disclaim everything I say.
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

mdr@bentley.UUCP (M. Rossner) (03/03/86)

I just have a few questions regarding the aforementioned two-
part St. Elsewhere which traced (by the way) 1935, 45, 55, 65
75, 85.

1.  The young, homosexual guy, (youngest generation in the
    family of patients traced ((John Scott Clough of "Growing
    Pains", by the way)) ) says that Polio is as uncommon a
    diagnosis as Bubonic Plague would be in 1986.  Why is
    the 50th anniversary of the hospital being held in 1986????

2.  Why does the young Dr. Auschlander complain about all the
    anti-semitism directed at him when in an early episode
    from this year he is seen telling his grandson about
    the spirit of Santa Claus???   Auschlander is the
    most goyish Jewish doctor I have ever seen.

3.  On a similar note, why did Dr. Auslander look so much like
    a barber when he was ready to take over Father McCabe's
    position?

4.  Why did Westphal have such an ugly toupe in 1965?

5.  On a similar note, why would this show resort to
    the awful gimmick of having Westphal play his own father
    in 1935?   That is really sleazy.  No one looks so much
    like his own father.

6.  Last but not least, why was Edward Hermann (Father McCabe)
    spotted by YOURS TRULY last Saturday night on the corner
    of 2nd Ave. and 9th Street in Manhattan as I was waiting
    to get in to the 2nd Ave. Deli???  Boy, I just love
    spotting celebrities.  I know you're all proud of me.

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (03/05/86)

In article <607@bentley.UUCP> mdr@bentley.UUCP (M. Rossner) writes:
>I just have a few questions regarding the aforementioned two-
>part St. Elsewhere which traced (by the way) 1935, 45, 55, 65
>75, 85.
>1.  The young, homosexual guy, (youngest generation in the
>    family of patients traced ((John Scott Clough of "Growing
>    Pains", by the way)) ) says that Polio is as uncommon a
>    diagnosis as Bubonic Plague would be in 1986.  Why is
>    the 50th anniversary of the hospital being held in 1986????

This is the big question for me, too.  It's obvious that these episodes take
place in 1986 -- it fits in with the 1986 plotline.  I have no idea..

>2.  Why does the young Dr. Auschlander complain about all the
>    anti-semitism directed at him when in an early episode
>    from this year he is seen telling his grandson about
>    the spirit of Santa Claus???   Auschlander is the
>    most goyish Jewish doctor I have ever seen.

Well, I know several Jewish friends who were raised with the idea of Santa
Claus is seperate from Christianity.  Yes, I know, the history of SC is very
Christian, but these days he's more of a commercial icon than anything.  The
only affiliation that Kris Kringle has these days in America is that he is
*probably* a capitalist... :-)

>3.  On a similar note, why did Dr. Auslander look so much like
>    a barber when he was ready to take over Father McCabe's
>    position?
>4.  Why did Westphal have such an ugly toupe in 1965?

Toupee technology was very primitive in 1965.  Or maybe he thought Auslander
*was* a barber... [going into non-serious mode here...]

>6.  Last but not least, why was Edward Hermann (Father McCabe)
>    spotted by YOURS TRULY last Saturday night on the corner
>    of 2nd Ave. and 9th Street in Manhattan as I was waiting
>    to get in to the 2nd Ave. Deli???  Boy, I just love
>    spotting celebrities.  I know you're all proud of me.

And you're probably the only one who noticed him.  Every one else thought of
as just another tall Joe who played FDR on occasian...

                               "Hales of derisive laughter, Bruce!"

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty