[net.tv] Hell is a city much like Seville

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (03/06/86)

A recent Twilight Zone episode used the quote "Hell is a city much like
Newark."  Now I know that it was a literary reference because in the
"Don Juan in Hell" sequence of George Bernard Shaw's MAN AND SUPERMAN
a character refers to a quote "Hell is a city much like Seville."  Does
anyone know where the quote came from originally?  I get the impression
it was not from the Shaw, but Bartlett's doesn't seem to have it.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (03/08/86)

In article <1712@mtgzz.UUCP> leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) writes:
>A recent Twilight Zone episode used the quote "Hell is a city much like
>Newark."  Now I know that it was a literary reference because in the
>"Don Juan in Hell" sequence of George Bernard Shaw's MAN AND SUPERMAN
>a character refers to a quote "Hell is a city much like Seville."  Does
>anyone know where the quote came from originally?  I get the impression
>it was not from the Shaw, but Bartlett's doesn't seem to have it.

My Bartlett's has it:

"Hell is a city much like London -
 A populous and smoky city."

	Peter Bell the Third [1819], part III, st. 1
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (03/08/86)

Oh, yes: Peter Bell the Third (source of the "Hell is a city much like
London" quote) is by Percy Bysshe Shelley.  Sorry...
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (03/11/86)

Thanks to M.E. Brennan (among others):

"Hell is a city much like London--A populous and smoky city."
Percy Bysshe Shelley  from Peter Bell the Third pt. III, st. I.