[net.tv] The Trouble With Twilight Zone

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (03/04/86)

In article <4330@ut-sally.UUCP> kelvin@ut-sally.UUCP (Kelvin Thompson) writes:

>About TZ in general:  Is it my imagination, or has the show gone
>downhill since Christmas?... Too many of the shows don't seem to have
>anything to say, and too many are repeats of old themes (how many
>outwitting-the-Devil and three-wishes-that-don't-turn-out-quite-
>right shows have there been this season?)...

The problem, in my opinion, is that TZ is trying to become too
whimsical, too humorous. The old B&W TZ series went through a stage
of whimsical episodes, and they were absolutely awful. There was
actually one old TZ episode that had canned laughter! I kid you not!

Whimsy is too often used as a substitute for thoughtful plots. It makes
nice average TV fare, and gives the authors a rest from having to think
too much. But lately it has become difficult to tell TZ from
Amazing Stories.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgua!cylixd!dave)

ugthomas@sunybcs.UUCP (Timothy Thomas) (03/10/86)

>The old B&W TZ series went through a stage
>of whimsical episodes, and they were absolutely awful. There was
>actually one old TZ episode that had canned laughter! I kid you not!

Yes, that one was quite awful.  That one starred I believe Carol Bernett
and a guardian angle.   I dont think it is fair though to compare the
old twilight zone to that of today.  No matter how hard they try, they will
never match Serling.

--

____________   ____/--\____
\______  ___) (   _    ____)     "Damn it Jim!,

boyce@daemen.uucp (DWB) (03/10/86)

In article <822@cylixd.UUCP>, dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:

> In article <4330@ut-sally.UUCP> kelvin@ut-sally.UUCP (Kelvin Thompson) writes:
>
> >About TZ in general:  Is it my imagination, or has the show gone
> >downhill since Christmas?... Too many of the shows don't seem to have
> >anything to say, and too many are repeats of old themes (how many
> >outwitting-the-Devil and three-wishes-that-don't-turn-out-quite-
> >right shows have there been this season?)...
>
> The problem, in my opinion, is that TZ is trying to become too
> whimsical, too humorous. The old B&W TZ series went through a stage
> of whimsical episodes, and they were absolutely awful. There was
> actually one old TZ episode that had canned laughter! I kid you not!

Did you ever think that TZ is trying to find its own identity?
Some are predictable, some you've read so you won't be surprised,
and some are not worth watching. I haven't watched one yet that
I didn't like although some could get to the "punch line" faster.
Like last friday's episode about "the button", not a bad story
but I don't think it needed thirty minutes to tell.

The special effects in TZ are fanastic when they use them, (i.e.
their time travel episode, and the "three wishes" episode.)

I think there might be hope yet for the new TZ since I think they
stopped using that stupid Rod Sterling immitation voice over, at
least in their last episode.
--
Doug Boyce   Daemen College, Buffalo NY
UUCP : decvax!sunybcs!daemen!boyce  or  ihnp4!kitty!daemen!boyce

good@pixar (No, that wasn't me with Markie Post on the cover of the Star.) (03/16/86)

In article <160@daemen.uucp>, boyce@daemen.UUCP writes:

> The special effects in TZ are fanastic when they use them, (i.e.
> their time travel episode, and the "three wishes" episode.)

	While I've enjoyed *most* of the segments, I've found most of
the FX to range from "cheap" to "cheesy".  It's all to obvious that they
are all done in video.  The arrows in the Cupid espisode were a happy exception,
and the hologram of Kennedy's motorcade was a clever application of an
inexpensive effect, and they were equally clever with the "three wishes".  But
the planetary fly-by in the season's worst episode, "Quarantine" was a prime
example of just how bad video effects can get.

	Maybe I've just become spoiled by good effects in movies.  I'll leave
you to guess why...

		--Craig
		...ucbvax!pixar!good