[net.tv] St. Elsewhere

akl@wbux5.UUCP (03/12/84)

(this line left non-blank)

Could someone please tell me what happened on the
March 7th episode of St. Elsewhere? My TV was on
the fritz at the time. Please MAIL responses to:

		Anita K. Laux
		wbux5!akl

	Bell Communications Research
	West Long Branch N. J.

Thanks!
AKL

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (11/02/84)

Apparently, after last Wednsday's episode, they aren't afraid to shuffle
their "regular" cast around...

Really, this and Hill Street should be mandatory...

				What seperates the men from the apes?
				The bars on the cage...

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

marno@ihuxm.UUCP (Marilyn Ashley) (11/06/84)

Speaking of St. Elsewhere, can anyone give me an update for the
October 31st episode?  I really appreciate it.  What did it mean
when someone said that the cast was shuffled around?

jts@brunix.UUCP (John Stasko) (12/21/84)

Anyone who missed this season's dream episode: NBC will be rerunning it
on Wednesday, December 26. The show examines certain staff members dreams.
The highlight is Luther's (Eric Laneuville) version of ZZ Top's "Legs"
video. Be sure not to miss it.

John Stasko, Brown Univ.
..!decvax!brunix!jts

marno@ihuxm.UUCP (Marilyn Ashley) (02/01/85)

Would someone please post a synopsis of last night's (January 30)
episode of St. Elsewhere?  Thank you from a grateful watcher.

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (03/06/85)

While on the subject of departing doctors and nurses, I heard last
night that Cynthia Sikes will be leaving the show at the end of this
season.

I watch St. E faithfully every week and enjoy it a lot, but aren't
the stories getting just a bit too wacko these days? And isn't the
reach-for-the-kleenex ending to every episode a teensy bit much???
--

 rod williams
 --------------------

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (03/09/85)

In article <335@ptsfc.UUCP> rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) writes:
>I watch St. E faithfully every week and enjoy it a lot, but aren't
>the stories getting just a bit too wacko these days? And isn't the
>reach-for-the-kleenex ending to every episode a teensy bit much???

No.

        "It's a job for YOU, Dangermouse..."
                                                "Oh, *good* old DM!"
        "...AND Penfold."
                                                "Oh, ick."

marno@ihuxm.UUCP (Marilyn Ashley) (03/12/85)

> While on the subject of departing doctors and nurses, I heard last
> night that Cynthia Sikes will be leaving the show at the end of this
> season.

I am very surprised to hear this.  Do you know where this information
came from, and who made the decision and why?

Thanks!

seb@ahutb.UUCP (s.e.badian) (03/12/85)

REFERENCES:  <1254@ihuxm.UUCP> <422@vax2.fluke.UUCP> <335@ptsfc.UUCP>, <1259@ihuxm.UUCP>

>> While on the subject of departing doctors and nurses, I heard last
>> night that Cynthia Sikes will be leaving the show at the end of this
>> season.
>I am very surprised to hear this.  Do you know where this information
>came from, and who made the decision and why?

I heard about this on Entertainment Tonight. They didn't say exactly
why she was leaving, but it sounded like it was her choice not to continue
in the show, not the writer's choice to get rid of her.

Sharon Badian
St. Elsewhere Addict

boren@randvax.UUCP (Pat Boren) (11/25/85)

Re: references to other shows --

  Did anyone last year catch the White Shadow one?  The big
  janitor (who was on WS) yells at the Van Patten guy
  (also from WS) who was guest appearing, "Hey Salami!"
  (Van Patten's character on WS).  He replies, "You got me
  mixed up with someone else."

  Also, I think these references are usually to other MTM
  shows (the I Dream of Jeannie one is the only exception I
  know of).

Re: Mark Harmon

  Last week he filmed his last episode as Dr. Bobby.  His
  character will contract AIDS from a heterosexual relationship,
  and he finds out about the disease in a January episode.  Two
  weeks later, in early February, is his last episode.  They
  won't say whether he dies on that show, or just "goes away"
  for treatment or whatever.

P.S.  Does anyone miss the good old flaky Fiscus or the girl
      from the morgue?  This year's characters seem so dull.
--

		Patricia Boren
		decvax!randvax!boren

marcos@sdchema.UUCP (Marcos Hatada) (11/27/85)

In article <2819@randvax.UUCP>, boren@randvax.UUCP (Pat Boren) writes:

> Re: references to other shows --
>
>   Did anyone last year catch the White Shadow one?  The big
>   janitor (who was on WS) yells at the Van Patten guy
>   (also from WS) who was guest appearing, "Hey Salami!"
>   (Van Patten's character on WS).  He replies, "You got me
>   mixed up with someone else."
>
>   Also, I think these references are usually to other MTM
>   shows (the I Dream of Jeannie one is the only exception I
>   know of).
>
> Re: Mark Harmon
>
>   Last week he filmed his last episode as Dr. Bobby.  His
>   character will contract AIDS from a heterosexual relationship,
>   and he finds out about the disease in a January episode.  Two
>   weeks later, in early February, is his last episode.  They
>   won't say whether he dies on that show, or just "goes away"
>   for treatment or whatever.
>
> P.S.  Does anyone miss the good old flaky Fiscus or the girl
>       from the morgue?  This year's characters seem so dull.
> --
>

> 		Patricia Boren
> 		decvax!randvax!boren
> 		boren@rand-unix.arpa

rodean@hpfcla.UUCP (12/05/85)

Re: after the slasher episode on St. Elsewhere

My wife and I thought that the episode after the slasher episode did
not have the usual opening sequence which starts with a voiceover
saying: "Previously on St. Elsewhere". We were looking for it to
review the scene in question. Can anyone confirm this?

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

mdr@bentley.UUCP (M. Rossner) (03/19/86)

>I groaned after last night's episode of St. Elsewhere. Hasn't Jack
>Morrison been dumped on enough? I mean early in the episode he was so
>upbeat saying that all was great, he had passed his remedials, his knee
>was healthy, and that Pete was back, and then he gets raped. Just great.
>I wonder if the writers are trying to do him away at the end of this
>year, sort of like Peter White and Wendy Armstrong, in order to rotate
>in new characters.

  I'm wagering that this has got to be the end for Morrison.  The
man really does get trashed on a lot, and now it seems he may be
permanently traumatized.  I give him 2-3 weeks tops to follow
Bobby Caldwell to that great, dark land of "new opportunities."
I'm guessing the writers have finally realized he's as boring
as we the audience have known for years. Any other opinions?
Send mail or post.

  By the way, I found the episode to be surprisingly violent for
"St. Elsewhere" -- more like "Hill Street", actually.  But it
certainly was effective.  With so many major characters there's
bound to be some flaws in the show, but overall it remains
my favorite.

>Also Dr. Westphal's enamorous relationship with the med student seems so
>out of character I can't believe it. I wonder if he will drop the
>community service program since Dr. Chandler was nearly killed twice by
>bombs and now Dr. Morrison gets raped in prison. Not very beneficial for
>them.

  I agree on both counts.  It seems the writers can't figure out what
to do with Westphal since he came back from Ethiopia and turned so
"holier than thou". And his community service sure has screwed
over a lot of people.

                     Marc D. Rossner
                     AT&T Bell Labs -- Liberty Corner, NJ

                     -- In Televisia Speramus --

dday@umcp-cs.UUCP (Dennis Doubleday) (03/19/86)

In article <49700016@hpfclo> rodean%hpfclo@hpfclo.UUCP writes:
>I groaned after last night's episode of St. Elsewhere. Hasn't Jack
>Morrison been dumped on enough? I mean early in the episode he was so
>upbeat saying that all was great, he had passed his remedials, his knee
>was healthy, and that Pete was back, and then he gets raped. Just great.
>I wonder if the writers are trying to do him away at the end of this
>year, sort of like Peter White and Wendy Armstrong, in order to rotate
>in new characters.

I think they are planning to write Morrison out of the show.  No hard info,
just a feeling.  "Previously on St. Elsewhere", the writers have already
been setting up that possibility by letting it be known that St. Eligius is
going to cut back on the number of 3rd year residents.  Jack already
mentioned the possibility that he would be cut to Westphal.  Now it looks
like he's going to be a basket case, anyway.  Who can blame him? :-)

--

UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!dday                      Dennis Doubleday
CSNet:	dday@umcp-cs				 University of Maryland

jeff@dsi1.UUCP (Jeff Armstrong) (03/20/86)

Well, now we know - Morrison is out at least for the rest of this season,
and Westphalls community service program will probably be discontinued.

However, according to USA today, 19 March, Morrison will be back next
season, and the writers have indicated that he will not be visited by
so much disaster and misery.  Also that Dr. Craig will bear more of the
untoward cicumstances on the show.

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (03/22/86)

In <393@umcp-cs.UUCP> dday@maryland.UUCP (Dennis Doubleday) writes:
>I think they are planning to write Morrison out of the show.  No hard info,
>just a feeling.  "Previously on St. Elsewhere", the writers have already
>been setting up that possibility by letting it be known that St. Eligius is
>going to cut back on the number of 3rd year residents.  Jack already
>mentioned the possibility that he would be cut to Westphal.  Now it looks
>like he's going to be a basket case, anyway.  Who can blame him? :-)

Now Jack has gone home to be with his parents and recover.  His co-workers
seem to take it for granted (my perception of attitudes, not dialog) that he
is finished.  I doubt he'll even be coming back to say goodbye.
--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman                                             mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

glassett@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Robert Glassett) (03/24/86)

In article <650@bentley.UUCP>, mdr@bentley.UUCP (M. Rossner) writes:

> >I groaned after last night's episode of St. Elsewhere. Hasn't Jack
> >Morrison been dumped on enough? I mean early in the episode he was so
> >upbeat saying that all was great, he had passed his remedials, his knee
> >was healthy, and that Pete was back, and then he gets raped. Just great.
> >I wonder if the writers are trying to do him away at the end of this
> >year, sort of like Peter White and Wendy Armstrong, in order to rotate
> >in new characters.

No, I think that Boomer will still be there when the fall season rolls around.
After all he did survive the issue of his "accelerated" medical school and his
"valid" degree (not to mention Nina dying a few seasons back). The rape issue,
however, should be put to rest by the St. Elsewhere writers. It should have
died with Peter White, Cathy Martin the nympho, and Shirley Daniels.  The
writers should get Westphall off this "holier than thou" attitude-- maybe have
him go to Africa permanently? It wouldn't be a bad thing to do. Any opinions
on Westphall? If you have them please post or respond.

				Bob Glassett(glassett@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU)