[net.tv] Looking for TV Stars that became Recording Artistes

ebm@ingres.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Grady Toss) (03/21/86)

I'm trying to put together a list of recording artists that are (or were
at the time of the record release) primarily known as TV stars.  Below is
what I have so far... please MAIL me any additions you can think of, citing
(as much as possible of) artist name, TV show, record name(s), record labels.
If I get any responses I'll mutilate and post.

... gt

Ps. I'd also really like to find some way to qualify Nancy Sinatra onto
this list... any hints?

	Annette			[Mickey Mouse Club]
	Baio, Scott		[Happy Days]
	Banana Splits		[Banana Splits Show]
	Brady Kids		[Brady Bunch]
	Cabot, Sebastian	[Family Affair]
	Cassidy, David		[Partridge Family]
	Cassidy, Shaun		[Hardy Boys]
	Chamberlain, Richard	[Dr. Kildaire?]
	Dino, Desi & Billy	[Desi/Here's Lucy]
	Duke, Patty		[Patty Duke Show]
	Fabares, Shelley	[Donna Reed Show]
	Fontaine, Frank		[Jackie Gleason Show]
	Gleason, Jackie		[Jackie Gleason Show]
	Greene, Lorne		[Bonanza]
	Hartman, Lisa		[Tabitha]
	Hickman, Dwayne		[Dobie Gillis]
	Hogans Heroes		[Hogans Heroes]
	Hudson Brothers		[Hudson Brothers Show]
	Knight, Ted		[Mary Tyler Moore Show]
	Ludden, Allen		[Password]
	Martindale, Wink	[Tic-Tac-Dough]
	Monkees			[The Monkees]
	Most, Donny		[Happy Days]
	Nelson, Ricky		[Ozzie and Harriet]
	Nesmith, Michael	[The Monkees]
	Nimoy, Leonard		[Star Trek/In Search Of]
	Partridge Family	[Partridge Family]
	Patrick, Butch		[The Munsters]
	Peterson, Paul		[Donna Reed Show]
	Piscopo, Joe		[Saturday Night Live]
	Sales, Soupy		[]
	Savalas, Telly		[Kojak]
	Shatner, William	[Star Trek/T.J. Hooker]
	Sherman, Bobby		[Here Come the Brides]
	Soul, David	[Starsky & Hutch]
	Travolta, John		[Welcome Back Kotter]
	Wagner, Jack		[Some Soap Opera]
	Webb, Jack		[Dragnet]
	Whittaker, Johnny	[Family Affair/Sigmund & The Sea Monsters]
	Wild, Jack		[H.R. Puffenstuff]

jeanette@randvax.UUCP (Jeanette Haritan) (03/24/86)

>	Cabot, Sebastian	[Family Affair]
>	Chamberlain, Richard	[Dr. Kildaire?]
>	Duke, Patty		[Patty Duke Show]
Really?!

>	Hartman, Lisa		[Tabitha]
Also "Knotts Landing" as:  Cegee, Cathy.
I always wondered if this really is her voice?
>	Knight, Ted		[Mary Tyler Moore Show]
>	Ludden, Allen		[Password]
>	Martindale, Wink	[Tic-Tac-Dough]
>	Nimoy, Leonard		[Star Trek/In Search Of]
>	Sales, Soupy		[]
>	Savalas, Telly		[Kojak]
>	Shatner, William	[Star Trek/T.J. Hooker]
Really?!!!!
>	Soul, David	[Starsky & Hutch]
Also "Here Come the Brides"
>	Wagner, Jack		[Some Soap Opera]
"General Hospital"
>	Webb, Jack		[Dragnet]
Really?!

How about Rick Springfield of "General Hospital".

--
jeannette haritan

yeah sure

evan@pedsgo.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (03/24/86)

In article <222@ingres.berkeley.edu.ARPA> ebm@ingres.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Grady Toss) writes:
>I'm trying to put together a list of recording artists that are (or were
>at the time of the record release) primarily known as TV stars.  Below is
>what I have so far... please MAIL me any additions you can think of, citing
>(as much as possible of) artist name, TV show, record name(s), record labels.
>If I get any responses I'll mutilate and post.
>
>... gt
>
>Ps. I'd also really like to find some way to qualify Nancy Sinatra onto
>this list... any hints?

One addition to the list:  Burt Ward [Batman].  He did a song about being a
teenage sex symbol.  (I heard it on Dr. Demento a few months ago.
Honest!)
--
NAME:   Evan L. Marcus
UUCP:   ...{pesnta|prcrs|princeton|topaz|hjuxa|vax135}!petsd!pedsgo!evan

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (03/25/86)

Four corrections to the list.
The Hudson Brothers were already recording artists before their show.
The show just exposed them to more people.

Bobby Sherman had several big hits before he did HCTB.  He also did
Hullabaloo (I think) before HCTB.

Jack Wild had already starred on Broadway and in the movies as Artful
Dodger in "Oliver!" before doing Puffenstuff.

David Cassidy had already recorded before the Partridges, although that
is what got him well known.

awr@panda.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (03/27/86)

In article <151@randvax.UUCP> jeanette@rand-unix.UUCP (Jeanette Haritan) writes:
>>	Duke, Patty		[Patty Duke Show]
>Really?!

Yup - she hit the Top 10 in mid-'65 with "Don't Just Stand There".  Musically
speaking, it was a virtual Xerox of Lesley Gore's earlier "You Don't Own Me" -
same key (verses in Gm, chorus in G), very similar chord changes, same echoed,
breathy little-girl voice...  Her followup single, "Say Something Funny" b/w
"Funny Little Butterflies" didn't do as well (although both sides charted),
and that was it for her singing career.

>How about Rick Springfield of "General Hospital".

I don't think he counts 'cause he was a singer before he turned to acting.  He
was quite successful at the former in his native Australia, and hit the U.S.
Top 20 in 1972 with "Speak To The Sky".

AWR

P.S.: I came up with a few more which I might as well post here: Sajid Khan
("Maya") released some records in the late 1960's; Ted Cassidy ("Lurch" on
"The Addams Family" did a single "The Lurch" on Capitol.  I'm pretty sure
Stefan Arngrim ("Land Of The Giants") recorded as well.

PS: There are collectors whose specialty is records made by celebrities outside
the field of music.  (I have a few of 'em myself - "Nascar Goes Country",
Jeane Dixon's "A Gift Of Prophecy", etc.)  Anyway, these people occasionally
advertise in collector publications such as _Goldmine_ - I'll look through
my back issues and post a list of TV-star records (someday).

shook@mcc-hi.UUCP (Rob Shook) (03/27/86)

Then there's Al Corley of Dynasty fame, who has released an album
called "Square Rooms". The title cut is great, but you can tell it
is his first album. Harold Faltermeyer (B.H. Cop) helped out with the
music.

Apparently Al owns a restaurant in NYC now. (I've also heard it
said that his back is on the album cover of a Carly Simon release).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rob Shook (shook@mcc-hi)  Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corp.
                          Austin, Texas

"What is it, Lassie? A boy fell down the mine shaft and broke his ankle
and is diabetic and needs insulin? Is THAT what you're trying to tell me?"

kato@utcsri.UUCP (John Kitamura) (03/27/86)

> One addition to the list:  Burt Ward [Batman].  He did a song about being a
> teenage sex symbol.  (I heard it on Dr. Demento a few months ago.
> Honest!)
> --
The song title is (I think) "Boy Wonder, I love you" and was recorded
with or by Frank Zappa with Burt Ward on vocals. It was available for
a very short time on a 45 single (both sides had the same song, one in
stereo, one in mono), and has been around for at least five or six years
(again, I think)

John Kitamura/ Univ of Toronto
UUCP:   {decvax,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,allegra,utzoo}!utcsri!kato

avery@puff.UUCP (Slippery Jim) (03/28/86)

Lest we all forget about Eddie Murphy. Tho his album's contributory value
to the music industry may be questionable, he did record it after having
starred on a TV show (series), namely, for those whose parents said they'd
had enough of your face and locked you in the closet for the past few years,
Saturday Night Live.

Aaron Avery (avery@puff.wisc.edu) ({seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!uwvax!puff!avery)

"She got the same big bang out of corpses that most girls get from shopping."

shark@unirot.UUCP (chris rhodes) (03/29/86)

A show that had quite a lot of its stars go on to record albums was
Star Trek.  William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy (whom my mother remembers
appearing on AB singing "The Ballad Of Bilbo Baggins") and the
actress who played Uhura (the name slips me) all released albums.
How did I learn this?  All have been in "Dave's Record Collection".

Chris Rhodes / Shooting Shark / Tiburon Systems
{you figure it out}!lll-crg!csuh!shark
"There's Never been a hacker who ever took $10 out of a computer
account." - Steven Wozniak

jack@boring.uucp (Jack Jansen) (03/31/86)

Why hasn't anybody mentioned the young ones yet?

Neil released a solo-single about a year ago, and the whole gang
recorded 'The Young Ones' (you know, Father Cliff) recently.

Both records are great. Neil's single is the ultimate psychedelic
single, complete ripoff of probably everything ever done in the
genre.
The new single contains such goodies as
Neil: "Let's have an instrumental break"
Viv: "Huh? Yeah!! Which instruments do you want me to break?
     Hah!! a grand piano!! KGKGKGKGGRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAKKKKKK!@!@!@#$!@%#$:"

I believe that Cliff Richard himself also sings on it. The voice-over
in the middle sounds *very* much like him, at least.....

BTW: If you've never seen 'The Young Ones' yet, immedeately pack all
your stuff and emigrate to a more civilized country. It's the best
thing that was ever shown on TV........
--
	Jack Jansen, jack@mcvax.UUCP
	The shell is my oyster.