[net.audio] Mail order discounters - fact or fiction?

jrh@inuxd.UUCP (05/25/83)

Has anyone had experience with mail order audio discounters?
I'd like the names and numbers of some reputable ones. I am
specifically looking for a discount on Hafler, NAD, and Polk
equipment. I've done some calling (to numbers I found in the back
of Audio magazine) and have got some pretty good prices -
but I don't want to take a chance. So, I turn to you, net.audio
readers for help and ask:

		1. Has anyone had personal dealings with any of
		   these outfits?

		2. It sounds like Polk and especially NAD have
		   a pretty strict franchising policy to prevent
		   discounting - but I have got discounted quotes.
		   Is there a way around a franchising policy?
		   Are these discounters illegal or simply
		   unethical? What kind of trouble might I get
		   into if I buy from them?

		3. Can you give me any hints to ensure that I
		   don't get stung? It's been recommended that
		   I use a credit card, ask for the serial numbers
		   of the equipment ordered, and establish some
		   sort of satisfaction guarantee. Would the
		   better business bureau know about these people? ...

		4. Specifically, has anybody heard of:
			  Audio Discount in Maryland
			  Direct Sound Marketing in Atlanta
			  The Thirsty Ear in Montana

		5. I live in Indianapolis. Can any recommend
		   a retail store within 200 miles (say Chicago
		   or Cincinnati) that I should try?

Thanks in advance. I anxiously await your replies.

					J. R. Holliday
					ABI-Indy
					inuxd!jrh

ark@rabbit.UUCP (05/26/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site alice.UUCP
Posting-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site rabbit.UUCP
Date:Wed, 25-May-83 22:10:24 EDT
Organization:Bell Labs, Murray Hill

A few useful things to know:

	1.  If you order something using a credit card
	and it doesn't come and they charge your credit
	card anyway, you don't have to pay the bill.
	I'm pretty sure there's a Federal law about that.

	2.  Though some of them try pretty hard, I think
	it is illegal for a manufacturer to control the
	price at which his products are sold.
	The only thing they can possibly do is lift a
	franchise.  In other words, they can refuse to
	sell to a particular retailer.  But if that retailer
	thinks that the manufacturer has lifted the franchise
	in an effort to fix retail prices, he can sue the
	manufacturer.  There was a big suit of this nature
	between Cuisinart and Zabar's (a large deli in New York)
	a number of years ago.  Zabar's started discounting
	Cuisinarts and advertising the fact.  Cuisinart stopped
	selling to Zabar's.  Zabar's sued and won.  They are
	now selling Cuisinarts at a discount again.

	3.  I think it is illegal for a merchant to charge your
	credit card until they ship the merchandise.  Of course,
	it's pretty hard to detect.