[net.music] Open Up! It's Not The Police!

54326jj@hou2f.UUCP (J.JOHNSON) (06/19/85)

Well yesterday (6/18) I RUSHED out to the store to
buy the brand new STING album, after making a pain
in the *SS of myself for the past two weeks, calling
up the record store and asking, Is it in yet?

The name of the album is "The Dream of the Blue Turtles."
I'm not going to analyze every song to death, because
I'm not the analyzing type.  I know what I like and
I know what sounds good (to me).

The album is GREAT!  I was very impressed by Sting's
varied songs, from rock to jazz to reggae.
It definitely does not sound like the Police, which
is good; it shows Sting's ability of variety.
The only song that came remotely close to sounding
like the Police (only in the beginning) was the
last song on the first side, "Shadows in the Rain."
The singing (at the beginning, as stated before)
reminded me of "Murder by Numbers."  But that's all
that reminded me of the Police.

Sting has a good band backing him up (I don't remember
the names of the musicians offhand); his music
and lyrics are very interesting.  Supposedly, from
what I have read, this album reflects his concern
for the future world and how it will affect
his children.

The Police are one of my favorite bands, so naturally
I like Sting.  There is not a bad song on the album,
and it is, as I stated before, refreshingly different
from the Police.  Your $7 would be well spent
on this album.

Comments and opinions, of course, are definitely welcome!

Jo-Ann (hou2f!54326jj)

dnj@linus.UUCP (David N. Juitt) (06/25/85)

In article <492@hou2f.UUCP> 54326jj@hou2f.UUCP (J.JOHNSON) writes:
>Well yesterday (6/18) I RUSHED out to the store to
>buy the brand new STING album, after making a pain
>in the *SS of myself for the past two weeks, calling
>up the record store and asking, Is it in yet?
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
* I wouldn't touch this line with a ten foot pole

>The only song that came remotely close to sounding
>like the Police (only in the beginning) was the
>last song on the first side, "Shadows in the Rain."
>
>Comments and opinions, of course, are definitely welcome!
>
>Jo-Ann (hou2f!54326jj)

Shadows in the Rain should sound like a Police song,
they already recorded it on Zenyatta Mondatta.
(Or was it Regatta de Blanc?, oh well close enough)

						Dave Juitt

UUCP: ..linus!security!dnj
ARPA:  dnj@mitre-bedford          He missed the tag, he missed the tag...