[net.audio] id AA00472; Tue, 10 Jan 84 16:45:31 est

jeff@tesla.UUCP (Jeff Frey) (01/11/84)

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 84 16:45:31 est
From: jeff (Jeff Frey)
To: audio@net
Subject: CD prices

NYC`s Tower Records USED to be the cheapest in town, at $17.99/CD (many other
"discount" stores charge up to $22) but I noticed an ad last week for Record
Hunter that had them on sale for $13.75.  Tower`s selection, unfortunately,
is pretty small.
CD's can be had for under $13 in Hong Kong, $14 to $19 in Tokyo (higher price
for Polygram pressings).  If what's available in Tokyo is an indication of
what's to come in the USA, we're due for a lot more Mahler 9ths, 1812
Overtures, and the like.  The n7uumber of CD bins at Ishinmaru Denki seems
to double every six months but you only see the same titles on twice as
many labels!  EMI, RCA, Supraphon were the newest ones there.  I noticed
Tower now has two Nonesuch titles (at a bargain $16.99).
Jeff