[net.audio] id AA22474; Tue, 24 Jan 84 18:14:51 est

jeff@tesla.UUCP (01/25/84)

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 84 18:14:51 est
From: jeff (Jeff Frey)
To: audio@net
Subject: CDs again.

All the subjective chatter on "CD sound", or whatever, reminds me of the
early days of transistor amplifiers--remember "transistor sound"?  Of
course there's a difference between Class A and Class AB or B operation,
particularly in the nature of the harmonic distortion components, but the
distortion in the Xistor amplifiers was so low it was difficult to
understand how anyone could hear it anyway.  And so, the argument
petered out.  Now in CD's the distortion level and the other bad
things that have plagued us in analogue records for years is a few
orders of magnitude lower than possible before, and people are still
hearing things.  I doubt that the CD dilettantes in the audience, who have
perhaps listened to two or three on an equal number of demo systems, on
separate occasions, have much to tell us about the problem.  In three
weeks I will have lived with CD's for a year and after an appalling
investment in software the only thing WRONG with the technology is the
variability of the software, with some manufacturers selling us
analogue (i.e., with hiss) or otherwise imperfect recordings at the
same price (around $20) as really superb recordings.  The most egregious
manufacturer in this respect with its earlier recordings was CBS, which
released a really bad Shostakovich 5th Symphony and a mediocre Prokofiev 5th,
in the latter of which you could hear when tapes from different master
recorders were spliced together.  The Denon Philadelphia Orchestra
recordings also suffer, but more from ambience than from nuts and
bolts problems.  On the other hand, the potential of the medium can

be heard in the Dutoit/Montreal Symphony recordings, and in the Julian
Bream solo records, and probably many others which I haven't heard yet.
And finally, CD's will never take off until some real music is offered,
not just more versions of Mahler's 9th Symphony (which is "real music"
of course but must everybody release it at the same time?
Perhaps the reason for this is that the record manufacturers do not also
manufacture the disc players; more money is as yet being made from sales
of hardware than from sales of software; some cooperation may be necessary
to accelerate the pace of both player and disc sales.

My personal gripes are that (a) I've spent a lot of money on CD's that
have turned out to be duds; and (b) having bought one new recording of
every kitsch classical thing I ever wanted, there's nothing else left to
buy.

Jeff