[net.audio] Error Counts on CD

km@emory.UUCP (Ken Mandelberg) (02/18/84)

Do any of the available CD players have a display which
indicates the number of errors it has detected and/or
corrected?

Ken Mandelberg
Emory University
Dept of Math and CS
Atlanta, Ga 30322

{akgua,sb1,gatech}!emory!km

tynor@uiucuxc.UUCP (02/21/84)

#R:emory:-128600:uiucuxc:18500017:000:302
uiucuxc!tynor    Feb 20 12:31:00 1984

  >>   Do any of the available CD players have a display which
  >>   indicates the number of errors it has detected and/or
  >>   corrected?

  Why would anyone want to know????

	Steve Tynor

	     ihnp4!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!tynor
             University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana

roger@cornell.UUCP (Roger Hoover) (02/21/84)

Why would anyone want to know?

Wouldn't you like to know if the CD you just paid $18 for
is littered with errors?

spoo@utcsrgv.UUCP (Suk Lee) (02/21/84)

I'm not sure, but I believe the
professional players meant for radio
stations etc., do have this ability,
although *NO* home players do.
--

From the pooped paws of:
Suk Lee

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (02/22/84)

Why not?

noel@cubsvax.UUCP (02/23/84)

Why would anyone want to know the number of errors encountered
on a CD?  I would want to know for several reasons.
1) To find out if a disc is poorly manufactured or has been badly
	mangled, so that I can return it or buy a new copy, so as
	to avoid getting to the point of distortion.
2) To find out if my player error circuits are functioning at all.
3) To find out if my player error circuits are functioning over-actively
	(I wouldn't be sure, but if all discs had lots of errors, I
	 would make the logical assumption).
4) Curiosity as to how many errors are typically encountered.
--
-- Noel Kropf	{philabs,cmcl2!rocky2}!cubsvax!noel.UUCP	212-280-5517
-- 1002 Fairchild; Columbia University; New York NY 10027

tynor@uiucuxc.UUCP (02/25/84)

#R:emory:-128600:uiucuxc:18500018:000:533
uiucuxc!tynor    Feb 24 12:05:00 1984

OK, I consider myself properly chastised...  My point was this:
Do you require a metering device on your turntable or cassette
deck that displays tracking error, distortion etc.?  (I agree that
it is extremely useful to know these things, but usually your
ear tells you something is wrong then you check out the equipment.
Is there any reason why a CD player should have a capability that
most analog devices lack?)

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (02/25/84)

	From: tynor@uiucuxc.UUCP
	Do you require a metering device on your turntable or cassette
	deck that displays tracking error, distortion etc.?  (I agree that
	it is extremely useful to know these things, but usually your
	ear tells you something is wrong then you check out the equipment.
	Is there any reason why a CD player should have a capability that
	most analog devices lack?)

Is there any reason that a CD player should produce sound better than
most analog devices are capable of?     :-)

Turn the question around.  Is there any reason that a turntable or cassette
deck should contain equipment for monitoring tracking error or distortion?
I'd say yes, but that it would be too expensive to include to be worthwhile.
But adding a LED that indicated that interpolation was taking place on
a CD player should be very cheap since the circuitry already knows that
it is taking place, so there is no reason NOT to do it.

If I owned a CD player, I'd like to know that the disc I bought is defective,
even if I can't immediately hear the problem (maybe I'm not listening
critically right now).  On the other hand, if I could hear something that
sounded strange, I'd like to know that it was due to a bad disc and not
my CD player.

seifert@ihuxl.UUCP (D.A. Seifert) (02/27/84)

> Do you require a metering device on your turntable or cassette
> deck that displays tracking error, distortion etc.?  (I agree that
> it is extremely useful to know these things, but usually your
> ear tells you something is wrong then you check out the equipment.
> Is there any reason why a CD player should have a capability that
> most analog devices lack?)
>
> 	Steve Tynor

A device to display tracking error, distortion, etc. would
add greatly to the cost of the component.  Accurate test
gear costs big bucks.

But adding an LED to a CD player would be very cheap. Even if you
throw in a counter and seven-segment display, it would add almost
nothing to the final price.  The machine *already knows* it has
an error, all you have to do is display the fact.
--
		_____
	       /_____\	    Have you hugged your beagle today?

grw@inmet.UUCP (03/04/84)

#R:emory:-128600:inmet:2600039:000:442
inmet!grw    Feb 29 10:25:00 1984

Don't convince each other...convince the marketing guy at SONY that he can
justify telling the engineers to wire in an error indicator.  Of course you
can't because he knows (and I assume you know) that he won't sell a single
additonal CD player by putting such an indicator on his box.   That's life in
the big city.

					-- Gary Wasserman
					...harpo!inmet!grw
					...hplabs!sri-unix!cca!ima!inmet!grw
					...yale-comix!ima!inmet!grw

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (03/05/84)

Who wants an indicator? All we want is a pin or a lead.
While I'm here let me report that I located the SONY CD
test disc. It is a part whose number I have forgotten because
it costs $127.40 plus handling and shipping and taxes. Anyone
interested can call 800-222-SONY and start asking as I did. It
will take you three phone calls, two of which you pay for. My
copy is figuratively somewhere the sun never shines.  Dick Grantges
hound!rfg