[net.audio] Nakamichi Cassette Equalization

prophet@umcp-cs.UUCP (06/03/84)

<>

Steve Tynor (tynor!uiucuxc) writes:

>A caveat about Nak.  If you are thinking of making tapes for your
>car or for a friend, be forewarned!  Nak uses a different equalization
>curve than all other manufacturers.  Tapes made on a Nak will sound
>dull on another brand.  Likewise tapes recorded on another brand sound
>a bit zingy on the Nak.

Steve, you have been misinformed.  This rumor has been circulating about
Nakamichi tape decks for quite a while.  It just is not true.  The  fact
is that Nakamichi decks are in precise adherence to IEC  ( International
Electrotechnical Commission) standards, which are the accepted standards
throughout the world.

This rumor is so widespread that Nakamichi has  put  out  an  eight-page
brochure that explains how this rumor started,  and  they  prove   quite
convincingly that it is indeed false.  The title  of  the  brochure  is:
"Nakamichi Cassette Equalization: The Standard View".    I  would advise
anyone who questions Nakamichi performance in this regard to stop by the
nearest Nakamichi dealer and ask for a copy of this brochure.   If   you
can't find it, I will send you a Xeroxed copy of it if you will send  me
a large (preferably legal sized) stamped self addressed envelope to:

                           R. Dennis Gibbs
                           University of Maryland
                           Computer Science Center
                           User Services
                           College Park, MD  20742.

By the way, I have used my Nakamichi LX-5 to make tapes for the  Marantz
tape deck in my car; they do not sound "Zingy" or "dull".  If you exper-
ience this problem when using a Nak deck to  record  tapes  for  another
deck, the problem is likely misaligned heads in one or  both  decks,  or
perhaps the heads need cleaning/demagnitizing.

                               Dennis

--
Call-Me:   Dennis Gibbs, Univ. of Md. Comp. Sci. Center.
UUCP:	   {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!prophet

brent@itm.UUCP (Brent) (06/06/84)

The major difference in recording on the Nak vs. most other decks is
that the Nak uses a VERY fast metering system.  Nak-recorded tapes
played back on a deck with standard VU (Volume Unit?) meters will
*appear* to be recorded 5 to 10 dB low, depending on how much the
source material was compressed.
--
            Brent Laminack  (akgua!itm!brent)