[net.audio] Cassette Fanatics

prophet@umcp-cs.UUCP (06/08/84)

Replace this line with your message

<>

Jeff Frey jeff!tesla writes:

>If you really want to record and play GOOD SOUND, why not a reel to reel or
>Beta Hi-Fi?

Because Reel to Reel and Beta Hi-Fi machines are not available for use in
automobiles.  I think the reason cassettes are so popular is because of their
convenience.
                                    Dennis

--
Call-Me:   Dennis Gibbs, Univ. of Md. Comp. Sci. Center.
UUCP:	   {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!prophet

fish@ihu1g.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (06/08/84)

(oo)
There is one way to get reel-to-reel quality and still have cassette
convenience for car players: buy two decks.  It really isn't any more
expensive than getting a high-end cassette deck, when you think about
it.  A good open-reel deck, without frills, can be had for around $600.
Throw in another $200 for an outboard dbx 224, and you've got a recorder
that will blow away, in terms of sound quality, any cassette deck made.

Now, throw in another $300 for a halfway-decent cassette deck.  $300
worth of deck will sound OK (but not fantastic) for home playback, and
is certainly good enough to make tapes for a car.  Total expenditure:
about $1100, less than the price of a high-end Nak, and certainly less
than a ReVox.  And, you have the added advantage of being able to use
dbx with your cassette tapes (if you want to -- refer to my previous
article) and decode dbx discs.

Now, consider the price of recording tape.  An 1800' reel of high-quality
Maxell or TDK recording tape costs $4.99, mail-order from Tape World.
This is only $0.60 more than an MA-90 metal cassette tape, and gives you
96 minutes of recording time, both directions (7.5ips), as opposed to 90
minutes for a cassette.  Granted, this is more expensive than the type II
chrome tape most people use, but in order to get the most out of a cassette
deck, you have to use metal tape anyway.

Finally, there's something about an open-reel deck that really sets off
the appearance of a sound system, gives it class.  I suppose that's
because not everybody has one.
--

                               Bob Fishell
                               ihnp4!ihu1g!fish