[net.audio] Carstereo antitheft devices - summary

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (07/25/84)

[]
On July 17 I asked net.audio foollk for informastion on anti-theft
devices for car bsterstereos. The following summarizes all the replies
I received. Thanks to those who replied.  -Dick Grantges
                                           hound!rfg
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Subject: Keeping your car radio
I just got a 1984 Toyota Celica, with fancy radio.  I like my car, and have
threatened to kill someone who opened their door into it in a parking lot.
Since I'm moving to Boston in three weeks, I've been Bostonizing my mobile,
and can offer the following:
(1) Get a Chapman lock.  They run about 150-200 dollars to buy and install
    but are well worth the money.  Mine is being done next week, and I can't
    tell you exactly how they work -- there are several variations.  The basic
    ideas are that if the car is started without an ignition key, the engine
    cuts off at 1500 RPM; there is also a lock thru the steering column, and
    possible alarms and motion sensors.  Your insurance company will probably
    cut you a 10-15% break on your comprehensive.  They seem to work pretty
    well, having been told by friends in Boston who drive RX-7's and other
    such fancy cars.
(2) If your car has a dash that features a radio recess (i.e. your radio does
    not stick out of the dash, but sits flush or almost flush except for the
    knobs), build a simple aluminum and stainless steel faceplate for the radio.
    Mine covers the whole center console of the dash, and locks into the
    dashboard supports.  The lock is concealed, and from the outside, it looks
    like there is no radio in the car.  Simple -- the first tip off for a car
    hitter is all of those knobs and dials sitting in your dash.  Cover'em
    and the hood thinks twice about going in after something.
(3) If you are really concerned, put the radio in the glove compartment.
    Unless you change stations every five minutes (like me) or need to
    constantly have access to the volume/balance controls, you can turn it
    on when you hop in, and then lock it up when you leave.  No radio -- no
    rip-off.
One of our people here is on her third radio and second fuzzbuster, and she
suggests putting a poisonous snake behind the dash, so that whoever pulls the
unit out of the dash dies within minutes of the hit.
Hal Stern
allegra!princeton!tilt!stern

From: ihnp4!fortune!tierney
Hi!
Could you send any interesting replys to moi?
Thank You.
I have been told that the Chapman alarm is the best.
I have also been told that the Blaupunct Berlin is the
safest car stereo - though it costs 1500 bucks!
Charlie Tierney

Dick,
I recently read your request under net.audiofor advice e/experiences with anti-theft
devices on net.audio.  I recently bought a new car with a good
stereo system and have been looking into a number of auto and stereo
anti-theft devices.  I would like to know what you have heard also--
perhaps we can call/meet and compare ideas.  I'm at HO 2D-228, 949-7380,
hou2b!syf.
Rosalind Wright
From: allegra!convex!uokvax!rctracy (Tracy, Robert C.)
Subject: anti-rip-off devices
I don't know about the practicality of the following suggestion, but it
was most effective for a neighbor of mine here in Oklahoma.
Back when CBs were all the rage, his CB was getting stolen from his pickup
at fairly regular intervals.  Finally, he got tired of replacing the radio
and decided to take action:  he soldered several double-edge razor blades
to the back of the unit (favorite method of removal seemed to be grabbing
from behind and yanking)!!  Burglar broke through driver's window to gain
entry, attempted to remove the radio in the usual fashion, and sliced his
fingers off!  When my neighbor examined the carnage the next morning, he
found blood all over everything, and the CB had been beaten to a pulp.
Granted, he lost one more radio, but had no more problems after that!!
On a more practical level...
Anything mounted in the dash as opposed to under it is fairly secure.
Certain types of cars are more susceptible to rapid removal of dash
units than others, and the point here is that the experienced thief
couldn't care less about the appearance of the dash afterwards.  Speed
is of the essence, consequently, anything you can do to slow or frustrate
entry into the vehicle will be effective.  Standard car sirens are more
irritating than useful, judging by the number of false alarms that our
campus police at the University of Oklahoma have to answer.  Also, the
noise level drops off sharply with what I feel is too little distance.
Hiding the stereo is another alternative, as in "what can't be seen isn't
attractive to a passing thief."  At least one outfit I know of sells a
fake front for expensive car stereos that makes them look like the trashiest
stuff coming out of Detroit these days.  I think J.C. Whitney used to carry
such a beast, and the price is right.
I kinda like the razor blade idea myself...   :-)