Subject: Re: Compare Stax with Koss ESP - Anyone?
Hi,
I know of a friend who has a pair of the Koss electrostatics.  His is an
older model (purchased in the late seventies), and cost roughly 250.00
(mail order).  I thought my 100.00 stax sounded better (tonal balance,
midrange flatness), but his had better bass response.   That's all
I can say about the Koss (also, they are much bigger/heavier).
				Feng
                                homxa!bjf
From: ihnp4!wucs!plus5!hokey
I have had my Koss ESP-9s for about 12 years.  I think they are swell, but
they are occasionally a bit heavy and you can't move around much when you
are wearing them.  The sound is excellent, except they don't have the earth
shattering bass that my Infinity QLS-1s do (I guess that's to be expected).
The Koss headphones are made, I believe, in Wisconsin.
In any event, I suspect you will buy only one set of headphones.  Once
you've done that, however, you won't be comparing them to anything else,
so the issue of which pair sound better is moot!
Hokey  ihnp4!plus5!hokey
From rfg Fri Jun 22 09:52 EDT 1984
[]
Thanks for the reply. I've already bought several earphones over the
years, but all of the work-a-day under $50 type. I'm trying to go
for something really good now because the wife can seldom tolerate
my CD playing at my preferred volume level on the AR-9s. I have worked
my way up over the years to the point I probably could afford the Koss
ESP. However, I have heard such raves over the Stax models (at $500-700)
that I'm wondering if I should save my pennies for a few more years
yet. From what I have heard about them, their only disadvantages are
that they cost $$$ and look like your wearing two outhouses on your
ears. Otherwise people say they are fantastic and very comfortable.
Now the Koss Esp is also an electrostatic design, but with smaller
diaphragms. I did hear the Esp's a long time ago and they sounded
very good to me, only I think they wouldn't play very loud. Have
you had any problems with that?(limited max volume?)
Dick Grantges hound!rfg
I own a set of Koss ESP7 s bought in 1970. They require yTHE MUSIC the energy fromn
the music to energize the phones, and when the level drops ( as in
most classiscal music, the music fades away. I also dfeel they are
not that conmfortable - as the dynamic PRO-4aaaaaaas (forgot how many as s
they have in their latest models).
However, I would highly recommend the Koss PRO-4x headphones - they
sound great, are comfortable, and supply isolation(unlike the
Sennheisers). I'm not sure ho comfortable the newere Koss electrostatics or
the STAX are - but that would be a primary consideration as themy electrostatics
are 14 years old, and have probably been used about 100 hours., and
my PRO-4xs are 1 1/2 and have been used nmuch more - say an average of an hour
a day.
In closing, I went to a store here calle Musicraft that had all brands sittin
hooked up, and it was easy to compare fore all the qualities I've
mentioned execept for long-term comfort.
						Larry Langerholc
                                                iwu1b!llserv
From: vax135!decvax!mcnc!duke!mgvAF
I had replied to your original query. I would like
to point out that the *electret* Stax models
(I have an SR44) are probably much cheaper than
the Koss ESP. I suggest that you compare electret
Staxes with electrostatics (Koss or Staxes).
I know there are other makers of electret headphones.
You might be surprised by the outcome of the
comparison. (Hint: More money does not *always*
buy you better sound...)
					Marco
From: ihnp4!wucs!plus5!hokey
Subject: High Volume and Koss
I have had no problem at all with pushing a lot of sound through my E-9s.
One year at school I didn't have my speakers so I used to turn the cups on
the headphones out.  It provided listenable levels!  If the power is clean
you won't have any trouble that I could imagine.  I suspect you're looking
at the ESP-10s, correct?  I haven't been in a hifi shop for a year or two!
The last time I was in one I was contemplating the purchase of an Omnisonic
imager, as it seemed to do some really amazing things to the sound.
Hokey  ihnp4!plus5!hokey
From: vax135!decvax!decwrl!sun!sunny (Sunny Kirsten)
I've had stax headphones since the very early '70s, and I chose them over the
equivalent Koss because of better sound quality, though the Koss were capable
of somewhat higher SPLs.  I've only had some mechanical troubles from abuse.
But the REAL factor was wearing comfort.  The Koss were closed, the Stax
open, and thus provide less sound isolation than the Koss.  Now, a decade
later, I'd be glad to receive a copy of the replies you receive.
				Sunny