[net.audio] What's Heathkit coming to? Heathassembled?

cb@hlwpc.UUCP (Carl Blesch) (01/07/85)

--
>Bill Loeffler

Without making too offensive a digression in net.audio, let me offer
my thoughts on what Heathkit's coming to.

I'm no electronics whiz, but I could hold a soldering iron and follow
Heathkit's excellent kit-building instructions.  Ten years ago,
Heathkit represented a way for me to get a particular electronic
item (e.g. stereo) at a price well under a similar assembled item,
or to get an item that didn't exist in the outside world (e.g. digital
clock -- Heathkit had one long before you could find them in the
department stores).  Now, kits offer no savings, and items that were
once unique to Heathkit are now everywhere in the general market.

Carl Blesch

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (01/08/85)

In article <458@hlwpc.UUCP> cb@hlwpc.UUCP (Carl Blesch) writes:
>Ten years ago, Heathkit represented a way for me to get a particular
>electronic item (e.g. stereo) at a price well under a similar assembled item,
>or to get an item that didn't exist in the outside world (e.g. digital clock
>-- Heathkit had one long before you could find them in the department
>stores).  Now, kits offer no savings, and items that were once unique to
>Heathkit are now everywhere in the general market.

Hmmm...  Let's thumb through the latest Heath catalog...  A robot for under
$600... A National Bureau of Standards linked digital clock for $250...  A
computerized weather station for $400...  Solar energy kits, audio spectrum
analyzer, computer interfaced ham radio equipment, hand-held frequency
counter, a line of test equipment under $50 each, video fish finder, computer
and electronics training courses, IBM compatible computers...

Yup, you're right.  Why just the other day I saw all these things in K-Mart.
(Or perhaps technology is passing you by.  Let's move this to net.followup)
--
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (01/10/85)

> Hmmm...  Let's thumb through the latest Heath catalog...  A robot for under
> $600... A National Bureau of Standards linked digital clock for $250...

I cannot address the value of the other items listed, but these are both
overpriced worthless junk. The craze for "robots" has created a market
for essentially worthless devices that perform no useful function. A
"robot", to have any value, must perform a useful function as an independent
mobile unit. Anything the current batch of "robots" can do can be done
better and cheaper by existing devices (burglar alarms, etc.). We'll have
a useful robot when it can do dishes or use household appliances (vacuums,
toasters, etc.) made for human use.

The "NBS-linked" clock is a piece of trash. We have discussed this rather
thoroughly on net.ham-radio some months ago and I won't repeat all that
here again. Suffice it to say that the radio receiver circuits built into
this clock fail to perform adequately to keep it slaved to the NBS time
signals, and, when it runs independently, it is simply inaccurate! See
Larry Magne's review of this that was aired on Radio Canada International
and might be reprinted in Radio Database Int'l or the World Radio TV Handbook.

Also, Heath just came out with a new shortwave receiver. Though a kit, it is
priced higher than factory assembled radios like the Kenwood R-600, and
has much poorer performance. Again, this was reviewed by Magne on RCI, and
was termed a major disappointment.

Heath could redeem itself -- it isn't too late. They should:

a) get out of computers entirely. Return to their traditional lines and base.
b) cut costs by eliminating all these silly retail outlets. Return to pure
	mail order operation out of the home site.
c) develop and market a line of test equipment that clearly offers the
	performance of factory-built gear at a lower LIST price than the
	DISCOUNT price of the Japanese assembled stuff. It needn't be
	innovative or spectacular; they can copy existing circuits and
	equipment designs and use different cosmetics. (For example, they
	should sell an RF signal generator with a built-in line power supply
	and a simple dial readout for $79.95 -- you'd use your frequency
	meter instead of having to have a high-accuracy readout on the
	generator box itself. A decent 3-inch 'scope kit for $150 or so, etc.)
d) produce a good shortwave receiver kit, digital readout, with few frills
	but decent filters for selectivity, for $200 tops.
e) sell a line of audio gear based on REAL audiophile interests, such as the
	stuff described in The Audio Amateur and Speaker Builder.
and so on...

I'm sure others have their own particular desires and suggestions. The point
is that Heath locked up a segment of the market and then shafted it by poor
performance and bad behavior. This wouldn't matter if there were three other
electronic-kit vendors out there competing equally; Heath would then simply
get killed off by natural selection. It IS a problem because Heath is the
ONLY firm in the business (there are a few other companies selling a
couple kits each, but nothing really equivalent). When they die off, there
will be no replacement, and everyone interested in kit-built electronics
will have nowhere to turn.

Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (01/14/85)

Remember that the economics of kits have changed.  In the days of tubes
and hand-wiring, there was a considerable savings in labor to be had
by building a kit.  These days, what with automated part placement and
wave soldering, final assembly costs comparatively little -- but writing
and testing an instruction manual still costs a lot.

karn@petrus.UUCP (01/15/85)

> Remember that the economics of kits have changed.  In the days of tubes
> and hand-wiring, there was a considerable savings in labor to be had
> by building a kit.  These days, what with automated part placement and
> wave soldering, final assembly costs comparatively little -- but writing
> and testing an instruction manual still costs a lot.

This is very true. The most cost-effective kits are those that still require
a lot of manual labor to assemble, either in a factory or at home.
A good example is the Heath H-19 terminal; the digital board came
preassembled but the kitbuilder built the monitor board (lots of large
discrete components) and put all the subassemblies together. This seems
to be an optimal practice, although one generally competes for the value
of his time with workers in Hong Kong or Singapore, not the US.

Phil