[net.audio] playback BS, what about RECORDING

paull@hplabs.UUCP (Rob KA6SFV) (01/29/85)

      With all this talk about 14-bit, 16-bit, 2x, 4x, 9999x
word widths and sampling rates, does any one know what technique is
used to RECORD a CD ??????
     It seems to me that the playback can't be any better that the
recording. So anyone know???
				Rob Paull

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (01/30/85)

In article <1511@hplabs.UUCP> paull@hplabs.UUCP (Rob KA6SFV) writes:

>      With all this talk about 14-bit, 16-bit, 2x, 4x, 9999x
>word widths and sampling rates, does any one know what technique is
>used to RECORD a CD ??????
>     It seems to me that the playback can't be any better that the
>recording. So anyone know???
>				Rob Paull

The recording is done using whatever digital recorder happens to be handy
that is close to some standard.  As it happens, the actual recorder
probably isn't too important compared to the number of bits used, sampling
rate, and the filtering techniques used (assuming decent analog inputs
are fed to it from the microphone amplifiers).  CD's are pressed much as
records are, but the information is nothing but a lot of little pits in
the surface.  Minor defects in the surface are corrected by the CRC digital
correction logic in the CD player.  As for actual recording techniques,
by and large, they are done the smae way recordings have been done for the
last thirty or so years.  The one chosen is more or less up to the
recording engineer.  All this discussion about bits, etc., is because
the limits of digital recording and playback systems are determined by
the number of bits and the sampling rate.  There is some question whether
the current standards are adequate.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

stadlin@hou2h.UUCP (Art Stadlin) (01/31/85)

>       With all this talk about 14-bit, 16-bit, 2x, 4x, 9999x
> word widths and sampling rates, does any one know what technique is
> used to RECORD a CD ??????
> 				Rob Paull

	The January issue of "Digital Audio" magazine describes
how the program data are encoded onto the disc.
--
  \\\
   \\\\                                  Art Stadlin