[net.audio] Equalizers and

allgair@fritz.UUCP (Ed Allgair) (02/08/85)

**********************************

In article <> jjk@burl.UUCP (jjk) writes:

>I'm also considering buying or building a spectrum analyzer.  Does anyone
>out there use a spectrum analyzer in conjunction with an equalizer
>(and a noise source) to compensate for the room acoustics?

I have, when working for a recording studio, used an analyzer to set up
equalization for a particular purpose. Usually it was used only to reduce
feedback and get the maximum volume out of a public address system. It can be
used to obtain as 'flat' a response as possible out of any audio system.
It usually
only needs to be done once, as the acoustics of a particular room will not
change unless you move your speakers, change carpet or drapes, wallpaper,
or add a major piece of furniture. For this reason, I suggest borrowing
the best analyzer you can find, and trying several equalizers with your
system until you find one that can produce the results you like. Buy that one.

It is also easier to adjust a system if you have a designated
'listening spot' in your room. If you try to get the best sound all around
the room, you'll find that you must compromise.

Remember to include the average number of listeners in your room when making
adjustments. Bodies soak up a lot of sound.

Pay attention to the input path of the noise source. Some preamps have
'strange' bass and treble controls. (Some amps, too.)

There won't be a major improvement if your room happens to be very 'good'
acoustically already. If that's the case, you may want to save your money.

Ed

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (02/11/85)

> It is also easier to adjust a system if you have a designated
> 'listening spot' in your room. If you try to get the best sound all around
> the room, you'll find that you must compromise.
>
> There won't be a major improvement if your room happens to be very 'good'
> acoustically already. If that's the case, you may want to save your money.

Recording studios have pretty much given up on accousta-voicing things
in this manner.  Once you've set up the EQ, as you have noticed, things
are very dependent on the position of the source and observer.  While
your living room with it's fixed speakers and one fixed listening chair
might be helped by this method, most serious people have given it up
for finding rooms appropriately sized and furnished.

-Ron