[net.audio] Heaphone amp?

did@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/16/85)

Does such a beast exist?  I'm stuck with a Carver M-400 (200W/ch) to
drive my headphones.  It seems like slight overkill....

My headphones are Signet TK-33 with an external adaptor which connects
to standard speaker outputs and my preamp has 2 amp outputs.

All replies greatly appreciated,

Dave
Arpa: did@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA
Uucp: {ucbvax || ihnp4 || randvax || sdcrdcf || trwspp || ism780} !ucla-cs!did

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (02/19/85)

In article <3942@ucla-cs.ARPA> did@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:

>Does such a beast exist?  I'm stuck with a Carver M-400 (200W/ch) to
>drive my headphones.  It seems like slight overkill....
>
>My headphones are Signet TK-33 with an external adaptor which connects
>to standard speaker outputs and my preamp has 2 amp outputs.
>
>All replies greatly appreciated,
>
>Dave
>Arpa: did@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA
>Uucp: {ucbvax || ihnp4 || randvax || sdcrdcf || trwspp || ism780} !ucla-cs!did

Stax makes a headphone amplifier for their Pro model, but i don't know
the load it is designed to drive nor whether the plugs and jacks are
compatible with your signets.  perhaps someone else can tell you.  this
amplifier is meant to be used instead of the adapter and connects
directly to the preamp.  about the carver m-400 being overkill, i think
not.  running through my adapter, my audio technica ath-7's are just
fine with my 150W ch amplifier.  i rarely use it that power, prefering
to run my amp pure class A at 40W/ch because it sounds better.  oh, i
forgot to mention that the stax headphone amplifier costs about $1000
CDN or about $650 US.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (02/19/85)

i forgot to mention that, because you said you used an adaptor to
connect to your amp, that you were running electret or electrostatic
headphones.  i don't know which the signets are.