[net.audio] Phillips CD-304

sam@cornell.UUCP (02/28/85)

From: sam (Sam Toueg)

About two months ago, someone posted an article translated from
a German Hi-Fi magazine. This a was review and comparison of several
CD players. If I remember correctly, a Phillips player, the CD-304,
was the one "top-rated" by the panelists.

1) Does anyone out there still have a copy of this article?
I lost mine and would appreciate if someone can send me one.

2) I am looking for a CD player, and even though the Phillips CD-304
is not sold in the USA as a "Phillips" player, it is sold under the
name of Magnavox model FD-3040SL (and, amazingly enough, under the name
of Sylvania too!).  I know that "Magnavox" is not considered
a serious Hi-Fi manifacturer, but on the other hand the CD player they
sell are built by Phillips (with their characteristic 176kHz 14-bit
oversampling, digital filter, and 2 D/A converters).
I am inclined to buy one because of the CD-304 review.
I would appreciate any advice for or against this purchase.

By the way, I was in Munich in January, and there seem to be a two-month
backlog on the Phillips 304 (however the two "smaller" units, the CD104
and CD204, were available).

Thanks!

                         Sam Toueg

bhs@siemens.UUCP (03/01/85)

Sam:

I do not know if you realize it, but both Magnavox and Sylvania are Philips
owned companies.
The Maganavox 3040 is, I believe, one of the new models, with improved
programmability.
I currently own a Maganavox 2020, which is the older line of top loader. I had
actually bought the 3030, the front loader, but in 24 hours the system got a
bad contact, which could be temporarily fixed with a discreet hardware reset
(aka a drop from 1 inch above the shelf).
The philips players all seem to be manufactured in Belgium. And, if you have
followed the discussions on the net, you will know that the Philips players
incorporate digital signal processing, including oversampling. Ah, the sound is
smooth......

Bernard H. Schwab
Siemens RTL, Princeton, NJ

gig@ritcv.UUCP (gordon ) (03/02/85)

> I know that "Magnavox" is not considered
> a serious Hi-Fi manifacturer, but...
> I am inclined to buy one because of the CD-304 review.
> I would appreciate any advice for or against this purchase.
>
> By the way, I was in Munich in January, and there seem to be a two-month
> backlog on the Phillips 304 (however the two "smaller" units, the CD104
> and CD204, were available).
>                          Sam Toueg

I have the U.S equivalent of the CD104.  I got it because it was small and
inexpensive.  Since Magnavox is not considered serious, the player was about
$260(list $400) even though its had only been available in the U.S. for about a month or two.  (List for the FD3040 is $600, by the way.)  The sound of the
FD1040 is very good, indeed.  The FD3040 differs primarilly in terms of featuresas far as I can tell.  Philips also sells an FD2040 (list $500).
In Europe and other parts of the world, Philips is a well-regarded (and from my
experience deservedly) company.  I think their players are quite good.