[net.music] What's Indiana University's school song?

sahayman@watcgl.UUCP (Steve Hayman) (06/06/85)

I'm the leader of a band that's playing later this month at a couple of
basketball games between the Canadian national team and Indiana U. in
Toronto and Hamilton, Ont.  I need to know what IU's school song is so
that I can kludge up an arrangement.  (Ours is "The Black and White and
Gold", if anyone cares [and certainly nobody here does <hard as we try>])

I have found a (band, no words) recording of "Indiana, Our Indiana".
Is that it?  It sounds about right.  Or is it something like "Back Home
Again in Indiana"?

Thanks for any and all help.  The net helped me find a band
arrangement of the national anthem of Yugoslavia last year.

Steve Hayman
Semiconductor
University of Waterloo Warriors Band
"One of the Bands in Canada"

P.S. I understand Bobby Knight is not coming on this trip so I hope the
team has a backup chairtosser.

kimery@wdl1.UUCP (06/10/85)

> I have found a (band, no words) recording of "Indiana, Our Indiana".
> Is that it?  It sounds about right.  Or is it something like "Back Home
> Again in Indiana"?

Well, so far its not anything metioned above.  Just Play 'Hail Purdue'
trust me, it will go over great (if you do decide to do this, PLEASE
make a video tape and send me a copy.  Boy would I like to see the look
on their faces!)

> P.S. I understand Bobby Knight is not coming on this trip so I hope the
> team has a backup chairtosser.

Ah yes good ole Bobby Knight.  Boy what a sore winner/loser.  If only
I had time to remember all of the antics that I have seen him pull.

I say we should send him back to Puerto Rico.  |-)

Sorry I can't help with the song (words and/or music).  Just give the
music Dept. at IU a call, Maybe someone there might be able to remember
what it is. :-)

			Sam

simpson@lll-crg.ARPA (Rea Simpson) (06/11/85)

In article <1976@watcgl.UUCP> sahayman@watcgl.UUCP (Steve Hayman) writes:
>I'm the leader of a band that's playing later this month at a couple of
>basketball games between the Canadian national team and Indiana U. in
>Toronto and Hamilton, Ont.  I need to know what IU's school song is so
>that I can kludge up an arrangement.  (Ours is "The Black and White and
>Gold", if anyone cares [and certainly nobody here does <hard as we try>])
>
>I have found a (band, no words) recording of "Indiana, Our Indiana".
>Is that it?  It sounds about right.  Or is it something like "Back Home
>Again in Indiana"?
>
>Thanks for any and all help.  The net helped me find a band
>arrangement of the national anthem of Yugoslavia last year.

I have some friend's from IU.  They said that "Indiana, Our Indiana" is their
fight song.  They weren't sure of the name of the school song but thought it
might be "Hail To Old IU".

I hope this helps some.

Rea Simpson

sahayman@watcgl.UUCP (Steve Hayman) (06/14/85)

preface... Our band is playing at a basketball game between Canada and
Indiana.  We were looking to pointers to the Indiana school song...

In article <456@wdl1.UUCP> kimery@wdl1.UUCP writes:
>Just Play 'Hail Purdue'
>trust me, it will go over great (if you do decide to do this, PLEASE
>make a video tape and send me a copy.  Boy would I like to see the look
>on their faces!)

I am sure that this song could be performed, in the spirit of
international sportsmanship, if (ahem) Purdue University were to send
us a small token of their appreciation.

Steve Hayman
Semiconductor
University of Waterloo Warriors Band
(c/o Dept. of Athletics, U. of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3G1)
One of the Bands in Canada, and
Official Band of the Canadian Olympic Team
In Spite of That, Not Exactly Rolling in Money

P.S. Thanks to all who suggested that "Indiana, Our Indiana" would be
more suitable.

dmt@mtgzz.UUCP (d.m.tutelman) (06/28/85)

Sorry for posting to the net, but lost the address of the original poster.
-------------

Lucky thing I'm visiting my brother, Dave Tutelman, since I not only went to
Indiana University, was a music major, but am now a computer programmer.
Yes, "Indiana, Our Indiana" is the fight song, but "Hail to Old I.U." is the
alma mater.  It's played to the same tune as Cornell University's "High Above
Cayuga's Waters."
In solfege, it begins: do re mi re do la la sol,
                       re do ti do re,
                       do re mi re do la la sol,
                       re mi fa ti do.
Good luck!