[net.audio] Headphones question summary

manheimer@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Ken Manheimer) (03/18/85)

Over the past month or so I've received great responses to my call for
headphone recommendations.  Thanks to all of you!  I've (finally) gotten
around to composing an excerpted summary of the responses, which you'll find
below; sorry it's taken so long in coming.  I'm also including some comments
from an audio mag (TAS) and a couple more questions of my own at the end,
hope I'm not taking advantage ...

-=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-
Original query amounts to:
-=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-
1) Looking for headphones
2) Like the sound of Magnepan speakers - pristine, open, well defined
3) Haven't found a substantial range of models to audition; liked:
  a) AKG 340 (electrostatic) headphones, @ $175
  b) Sennheiser HD 425 (open air dynamic) @ ~$100
   These were the highest priced phones I sampled, very distressing since
4) would like to keep below 100 to 120 dollars
5) didn't have an opportunity to compare the two, especially aggravating
   considering the very different designs
6) am looking for both specific opinions about these examples and more generally
   suggestions about any good phones to consider
7) also, any suggestions about good mail order sources
-=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-
Follows, the replys:
-=-  -=-  -=-  -=-
> From: seismo!decvax!watmath!esfraga (Eric S Fraga)
> Subject: Re: Headphones recommendations wanted - SENNHEISER
>
> I have owned a set of Sennheisser (sp?)
> headphones (HD420's) and I highly
> recommend them.  They are a cheaper
> type than the 425's but if the 420's
> are any indication, I would recommend
> the 425's.  They sound good and are
> very comfortable (a point I consider to
> be quite important if you plan to
> listen with them on for long periods of
> time).
>
> Toto of Oz   (woof-woof :-)
> {ihnp4|allegra|utzoo|utcsri}!watmath!esfraga

-=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-
> From: seismo!ihnp4!houxm!hound!rfg
> Subject: Re: Headphones recommendations wanted (Mail order?)
>
> Go try some Stax electrostatic phones before you decide. There are some
> reasonably close in price to the ones you heard...
> ... I have not heard any
> phone other than Stax praised on the net in the last year and a half.
> I'm saving my pennies. There was also a review in the last few months...
> in Audio, I think.
-=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-
> From: seismo!ihnp4!houxm!homxa!bjf Message-Id: <8502191940.AA18670@seismo.ARPA>
> To: nbs-amrf!manheimer
>
> HI,
> May I recommend trying to find a pair of Stax headphones mail order?  I own
> the bottom line model (list 100.00), but like it very much.  The AKG340
> did sound better, but I didn't think it was electrostatic.  If I recal
> correctly, you should be able to get Stax products at 20% dicounts from
> places like the Audio Advisor, and etc.  Stax's only draw backs are the
> slightly weak bass (can be fixed somewhat with the tone control), and the
> limited maximum volume (no problems with my listening habits).  All stax
> phones (whether they be electrostatic or have a permanently polarized
> diaphragm - the lower model I have - they all have step up transformers,
> and power supplies (for the electrostatic)).
> 					Feng
-=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-
> From: seismo!utah-cs!donn@utah-cs.UTAH-CS (Donn Seeley)
> Subject: Re:  Headphones recommendations wanted (really about A & T)

> BTW, I have the Sennheiser headphones and I'm quite satisfied with
> them.  The only possible complaint is that if you are in an active
> environment trying to listen to quiet music, you can be distracted
> easily (by TVs blaring, neighbors arguing and all the rest).  They're
> more comfortable than any other set of headphones I've ever tried, and
> their reproduction quality is excellent for the price.
>
> Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn@utah-cs.arpa
-=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-
> From: herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS])
> Subject: Re: Headphones recommendations wanted (Mail order?)
>

> ...  if you are serious about headphone listening
> and don't mind spending as much as most people spend on a amp, look at
> stax pro's. the stax srx mk3's are very good too although they don't cost
> quite as much.  i have a pair of audio technica ath-7's and have yet to
> hear a dynamic headphone that sounds better.  i know the srx mk3's are
> better but there's no-one around these parts that sell them.  i would
> stop at nothing less than a pair of electrets and would get the stax
> pro's if i could afford them and find a place that sells them.
>
> Herb Chong...
>
> I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....
>
> UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
> CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
> ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
> NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu
-=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-
> From: rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) Newsgroups: net.audio
> Subject: Re: Query on Headphones Message-ID: <909@hound.UUCP>
>
> []
> You have no choice, really. You have to buy STAX. The model isn't
> important as long as you buy the PRO. My fee for this advice is
> $519, for which I,too, can buy a pair with their amp. Please
> remit.
>
> --
>
> "It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg
<Howzabout I send the thought of $519, if any, Dick?:->
-=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-
> From: seismo!philabs!linus!utcsri!elf (Eugene Fiume)
> Subject: Re: Headphones recommendations wanted (Mail order?)
>
> I own AKG340's and I am very happy with them.  Surely $175 is too
> much for them though: I spent $150 Canadian for them a couple of years
> ago, and the price has not changed in my local audio store.  You should
> be able to find them for $100 US mail order somewhere.
>
> Eugene Fiume
-=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-
> From: seismo!decvax!watmath!ackersviller (Paul Ackersviller)
> Subject: Re: Headphones recommendations wanted (Mail order?)
>
> I own a pair of AKG K340 phones and am very pleased with them.
> I compared them to some Sennheisers before I bought them, but I don't
> remember which model they were; I know they weren't the ones you mentioned.
>
> The AKG K340 is a hybrid design combining electrostatic drivers
> for high frequencies with dynamic ones for low, which is why it doesn't
> need a separate power supply.  Although they are a heavy headphone, I
> find them extremely comfortable to wear, even for long periods of time.
> I think this is because of their circum-aural design; most supra-aural
> headphones, no matter how comfortable they may feel at first, tend to
> pinch the ears and cause discomfort after an hour or two of continuous wear.
> Supra-aurals are also more of a trade-off between comfort and
> performance - the looser they fit the more comfortable they will remain,
> but the poorer the bass response will be.
>
> I've had mine for at least three years, and I think I paid about $200
> Canadian for them, but have since seen them for as low as $160.  This
> implies to me that you should be able to get a far better price than
> $175 US.
>
> Another headphone you should probably audition is the Audio-Technica ATH-7.
> I've tried them and they sound very good, but I can't speak for their
> long-term comfort.
-=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-
> Subject: Re: Headphones recommendations wanted (Mail order?)
> Date: Wed, 27-Feb-85 09:24:49 EST
>

>         I have a recommendation:  Buy the Sennheisers!  I listened to the
>         HD425 and HD420's when I was buying new 'phones last year.  They
>         are both excellent.  I ended up buying the 420 because it is cheaper,
>         and it turned out to be one of the best stereo purchases I ever
>         made.  The 425 sounds (to my tin ear) exactly as excellent, and
>         is (?) more comfortable.
>
>         Also, the HD420 won Stereo Review's mid-priced headphone
>         contest 2 or 3 years ago BY SUBSTANTIAL MARGINS IN BOTH SOUND
>         AND COMFORT.  I don't know if you saw that issue, it had some
>         famous lady singer, Linda R, I think, on the cover wearing a
>         pair of Sennheiser 420s.
> --
> ========
> ...nz (ECL - we're here to provide superior computing)
> 	Washington University Engineering Computer Laboratory
> 	[ Remember: You can't spell `eCStacy' without `CS' ]
				     .<XTC:->
> 	old style:	... ihnp4!wucs!nz
> 	new style:	nz@wucs.UUCP

-=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-

Finally, a review of the Stax in The Absolute Sound had something to say (the
lone copy of The Absoulute Sound I've ever happened upon, just after I got my
Magnepans (yea!), happened to have a review of Magnepans, and Lo and Behold
upon digging it out I discover the very same issue contains a review of the
Stax Lambda Earhones, which goes on to say quite a few other phones.  I'll
paraphrase the reviewer, A. H. Cordesman, from V7, #28, Dec 1982, pg104-105
(without permission; apologies...):

> Stax Lambda's - extremely revealing, superb for quick detection of problems
> in the upper octaves, bright analytic character with superior detailing, and
> transient performance; conversely, poor bass coupling and irregular
> perceived bass response, too much treble, too many transients [!?:-)], too
> close, too bright [I don't write 'em, I only paraphrase 'em...], terrible
> binaural imaging ...
Reviewer goes on to say:
> All earphones have ear coupling imaging and soundstage problems ...
> Sennheisers have poor bass coupling ...
> tho Audio-Technica ATH-7 and ATH-8 are flattest electrostatics, with bass
> approaching decent ...
> try the heavily dicounted AT's first, then the Stax Lambda;
> BE AWARE, HOWEVER [my emphasis], that the Beyer conventional phones are
> generally equal to, or superior to, the electrostatics.  [editor noted that
> he agrees about the beyers...] ... [reviewer sums up:]
> "Ah well, the sound of earphones differs so much from person to person that
> you are going to have to make your own final judgments."

-=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-

End of reviews, closing note:
-=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-  -=-

I haven't yet come to a decision, though have great interest in evaluating
the Stax, Beyer, and AT headphones.  Unfortunately, I don't know where to find
samples to audition (high end DC emporia, like (a nearby) Meyer Emco and
Excalibur audio, have distressingly small (or non-existent) selections which
don't include either of these choices).  In desperation (well, at least
frustration) I'm considering locating mail order prices for all my current
candidates (the AKG 340's, Sennheiser 445's, appropriate Stax and Beyer
models, and  audio technica ath-7's) and then going on the weight of above
recommendations vs price vs what I heard from the AKG's and Sennheisers.  E.g.
guessing.  Aargh.

(What the reviewer said about beyer phones really intrigues me.  Anybody
out there have, or have listened to, beyer phones?)

Thanks again, folks,

-=- -=-
signoff
-=- -=-

Oops,

Ken Manheimer		seismo!nbs-amrf!manheimer
			(everything leaks)