[net.audio] Head amps

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (03/14/85)

I am contemplating an update to my record playback system, and as part
of the upgrade, installing a low output moving coil cartridge (such as
the MC Alpha I).  Since my pre-amp (a Crown SL-2) does not have a
moving coil input, I will need a device to step up the output to the
proper level.  I am aware that there are step-up transformers and low
cost head amps available, but my dealer claims that in order to
realize a benefit from a cartridge of this caliber, nothing less than
a Klyne head amp ($695 or thereabouts) will do.  Is this true?  Does
one really need to spend this kind of money to get the performance
that a good MC cartridge is capable of?

                                     Ben Broder
                                     vax135!petsd!moncol!ben
                                     pesnta!moncol!ben
                                     princeton!moncol!ben

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (03/15/85)

In article <207@moncol.UUCP> ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) writes:
>I am aware that there are step-up transformers and low
>cost head amps available, but my dealer claims that in order to
>realize a benefit from a cartridge of this caliber, nothing less than
>a Klyne head amp ($695 or thereabouts) will do.  Is this true?  Does
>one really need to spend this kind of money to get the performance
>that a good MC cartridge is capable of?
>
>                                     Ben Broder

it depends on whether another head amp can provide an good match 'as is'
to your contemplated cartridge.  the PS Audio head amp is quite good,
provided your cartridge requires a medium low impedance.  it performs
better if you replace the dinky power supply that comes with it to a
more tightly regulated and higher current power supply.  transformers
are not that bad and medium priced ones in the $200-$300 range aren't
too bad.  i was lucky that when i rebuilt my amp, i modified the
head amp specifically for my dynavector dv23r.  the match is almost
perfect.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

ken@bmcg.UUCP (Ken Middaugh) (03/19/85)

For about the same price as a Klyne (sp?) head amp, you can get the
excellent PS AUDIO moving coil input and to boot you get an excellent
preamp.  The PS IV H preamp has a moving coil input with enough gain
to handle most moving coil cartridges with it's line amp off ( you
have to be familiar with the preamp to understand this).  I had this
preamp on loan a few weeks ago and it is excellent for the money.  In
most cases a preamp with moving coil input will sound better than a
preamp and a head amp.  Just another alternative!

		-Ken Middaugh

	nobody's perfect...not even a perfect stranger...
						(The Pretenders)