[net.audio] pre-amp questions

jay@npois.UUCP (Anton Winteroak) (03/19/85)

	Why do good preamps cost so much more than good power amps?
Are they offering a lot of features I don't want, or is it that
tough to make a pre-amp.
	Specifically, I am planning to upgrade my system soon, and
the first step is to get a CD player, but after that I'll be replacing
parts.
	Now I have Receiver: Yamaha CR-1040
		   Cassette: Yamaha K-960
		   Turntabl: Yamaha YPD-4
		   Speakers: Belle Klipsch (one pair)
	I also have half a ton of records, and a lot of dbx encoded tapes.

	It seems easy to pick a tuner, can any one name a better one
than Carver's without getting into >$2000 ? The choice of power amp
seems trickier but still straight forward. If there really is a problem
with Carver's M 1.5t then there are plenty of more traditional amps
that should all work just fine. I am sure that many turntables will
satisfy my needs for playing the analog disks, might even just keep
the one I've got. The same can be said for cassette decks.
	So the only hole seems to be in pre-amps (I'm saving speaker
upgrade for a long time from now). Please, I looked at a list of
pre-amps on the market, and there were too many, and they were so
costly. Give me some idea of what to look for, what parameters are
important. I don't know where to begin.

			...!npois!jay   Anton Winteroak

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (03/20/85)

> From: jay@npois.UUCP (Anton Winteroak)
> Newsgroups: net.audio
> Subject: pre-amp questions
> Date: Tue, 19-Mar-85 10:48:36 EST

> 	It seems easy to pick a tuner, can any one name a better one
> than Carver's without getting into >$2000 ?

I've heard folks on the net say that the Carver tuner costs $650.  The
receiver -- 130 W/ch, plus lots of other nice stuff -- lists for only $750,
and discounts are starting to become available.  I bought one in a real
store, non-mail order, for $675 last October.  If you think you might
want to upgrade your amplifier at the same time, you might just be better
off with the whole receiver.