[net.audio] speakers and types of music

seifert@mako.UUCP (Snoopy) (03/24/85)

In article <3100002@hpfcma.UUCP> chan@hpfcma.UUCP (chan) writes:

>How come people never mention what kind of music they listen to the most
>when they ask for speaker recommendations? I heartily recommend the M&K's
>to rock lovers, but they don't do very well with classical (at least not as
>well as other speakers at the same or higher price).

(a) Some of us like more than one type of music.

(b) Good speakers will play all types of music well.
This is very good, considering (a).

        _____
        |___|           the Silver-eared Beagle
       _|___|_               Snoopy
       \_____/          tektronix!mako!seifert
        \___/

If God had intended Man to Smoke, He would have set him on Fire.
                        -the fortune AI project

hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie) (03/27/85)

Never buy an M&K subwoofer. They 'fart' bad. Best go for an Entec if you
must. The 'farter' refered to is the Volkswoofer.

Hedley.

kunz@hplsle.UUCP (kunz) (04/01/85)

> Never buy an M&K subwoofer. They 'fart' bad. Best go for an Entec if you
> must. The 'farter' refered to is the Volkswoofer.
>
> Hedley.

What do you mean by fart?  If you mean they hiss on large cone excursions,
then the plug over the cutoff frequency control is missing.  Check it out.

I have a 1B Volkswoofer and have never experienced this 'fart' problem.

Bob Kunz
{ihnp4!hplabs!hp-pcd, uw-beaver!fluke}!hplsla!kunz
Hewlett-Packard Lake Stevens Instrument Division
8600 Soper Hill Rd
Everett, Washington 98205-1298
(206) 335-2135