[net.audio] Auto-reverse decks and head alignment

herbert@grok.DEC (Kevin Paul Herbert) (03/29/85)

I have heard for quite some time that auto reverse decks exhibit
the behavior of improperly playing one side of the tape. The
explaination that I was given was that the head physically
moves to do the reverse operation, and it is difficult to
align the heads for proper frequency response on both sides.

I have heard that there are newer tape decks which do not exhibit
this characteristic, but I have never listened to any of them.

Kevin

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (04/02/85)

> I have heard for quite some time that auto reverse decks exhibit
> the behavior of improperly playing one side of the tape. The
> explaination that I was given was that the head physically
> moves to do the reverse operation, and it is difficult to
> align the heads for proper frequency response on both sides.

Damn straight.  My autoreverse deck in the car has taken to playing
both sides of the tape simoultaneously from time to time.

-RON

bing@galbp.UUCP (Bing Bang) (04/08/85)

In article <> ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
>> I have heard for quite some time that auto reverse decks exhibit
>> the behavior of improperly playing one side of the tape. The
>> explaination that I was given was that the head physically
>> moves to do the reverse operation, and it is difficult to
>> align the heads for proper frequency response on both sides.
>
>Damn straight.  My autoreverse deck in the car has taken to playing
>both sides of the tape simoultaneously from time to time.
>
>-RON

i have a auto reverse deck. the  head has 4 tracks and  it doesn't move.
it works great!

--
"No, you stupid computer, do what I mean, not what I type!"