[net.audio] Beta HiFi and Cable

chris@columbia.UUCP (Chris Maio) (04/13/85)

In article <6188@ucbvax.ARPA> albert@ucbvax.UUCP (Anthony albert) writes:
> Until cable companies gear up for stereo, the audio sent with the
> RF signal will be in mono. What cable systems have done as a (hopefully)
> temporary measure is to send a separate stereo audio signal on FM.
> Once the conversion to stereo is made, the converter should output
> a stereo signal.

I have a stereo tv and vcr in New York, where NBC (channel 4) is broadcasting
stereo programming (at least the Tonight Show) and a SAP (currently just WNBC
radio, I think).  Both are hooked up to a Group W cable without any cable
converter box.  My tv receiver indicates that the stereo signal is there,
and the vcr led's suggest that the left and right channels are different,
but a listening test seemed to suggest that if there was any audible
distinction between the left and right channels, it's probably a small amount
of "simulated stereo" or perhaps distortion introduced by the stereo decoder
when the input is subject to whatever limitations cable imposes on a stereo
tv signal.  I assume that the tv receiver can be "fooled" a bit, since the
stereo indicator occasionally pops on for a few seconds on other channels.
Unfortanately, Group W doesn't provide separate stereo audio programming for
FM stations and movie channels here.

I didn't buy the tv for the stereo decoder, since I'd been told that there were
bandwidth problems that prevented cable operators from using the same stereo
encoding, but since I do get the SAP and slightly different left and right
channels, can someone explain what's going on?  Are SAP signals not a problem
for cable systems the way the stereo signals are (since my SAP signal is ok)?

- Chris