[net.audio] Walkman Type Tape Players with dBX?

dw@rocksvax.UUCP (Don Wegeng) (04/18/85)

I'm in the market for a Walkman type tape player which features
dBX noise reduction.  Does anyone know of such a beast?  Thanks,

/Don

--

"Would I lie to you this early in the morning?"

arpa:	Wegeng.Henr@Xerox.ARPA
csnet:	Wegeng.Henr@Xerox.ARPA
ns:	Wegeng:Henr801C:Xerox
uucp:	dw@rocksvax.UUCP
uucp:	{allegra,amd,decvax!rochester,princeton}!rocksvax!dw
uucp:	ihnp4!tropix!ritcv!rocksvax!dw

rkl@ahuta.UUCP (k.laux) (04/19/85)

REFERENCES:  <1115@rocksvax.UUCP>

	Yes, please, someone must know of such a beast. I have been
looking for months. All I have heard (rumors) that it does exist
and might be available from AIWA or PANASONIC.

				R. Kevin Laux
				Software Vendor Tech Support
				ATTIS Lincroft
				ahuta!rkl

guyton@druxp.UUCP (TurnerMG) (04/19/85)

Several months ago I saw a dbx personal tape player at
a local audio store (Soundtrak).  It was made by Akai (?)
and sold for about $160.
--
				Guyton Turner
				DR x4513  30H94

fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (04/19/85)

> I'm in the market for a Walkman type tape player which features
> dBX noise reduction.  Does anyone know of such a beast?  Thanks,
>
> /Don

***     AC  T              YOUR     AGE ***
dbx makes an inline adapter that has its own battery; it fits between
the player and the headset. Works with any make.  Price is under $100.
/_\_

				Bob Fishell
				ihnp4!ihlpg!fish

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (04/20/85)

In article <625@ahuta.UUCP> rkl@ahuta.UUCP (k.laux) writes:
>	Yes, please, someone must know of such a beast. I have been
>looking for months. All I have heard (rumors) that it does exist
>and might be available from AIWA or PANASONIC.

i know that about two years ago, someone (dbx?) announced an addon
battery powered box that plugged between the headphone jack and the
headphones to do the dbx decoding.  whatever became of it, i don't
know.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

derek2@garfield.UUCP (Derek S Keeping) (04/20/85)

In article <1272@watdcsu.UUCP> herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) writes:

>In article <625@ahuta.UUCP> rkl@ahuta.UUCP (k.laux) writes:
>>	Yes, please, someone must know of such a beast. I have been
>>looking for months. All I have heard (rumors) that it does exist
>>and might be available from AIWA or PANASONIC.
>
>i know that about two years ago, someone (dbx?) announced an addon
>battery powered box that plugged between the headphone jack and the
>headphones to do the dbx decoding.  whatever became of it, i don't
>know.

	Well I'm using mine right now. It's a DBX PPA-1, which I bought last
	summer, so they are probably still around. It's a nice little unit,
	about the height and thickness of my walkman II and adding about 3/4
	of an inch to the width. It comes with a belt clip, but I perminantly
	attached mine to the walkman's holder.

	It works very well with DBX tapes. You have to set the volume on the
	walkman to the correct level to feed the DBX, you then use the
	volume control on the DBX. It also has a switch which selects, bypass
	Type II (DBX), or type B which does a credable job decodeing Dolby B.

	The person who sold it to me also tried to sell me one of those little
	portable equalizers. Lets see now, I cand put my DBX, and Walkman on
	my left hip, and my external battery pack, and my equalizer on my
	right hip, and I can carry my Buck Rogers ray gun on my back. Now
	where do I put my D-5 I'm buying soon. :-)

	Seriously though, It is a good unit and doesn't take up much space. I
	wouldn't buy it if I were going out to get a new Walkman type unit,
	but it revitalized my old Walkman for a few more years. As for new
	units, I'm about 90% sure that Panasonic make walkmen (walkmans?)
	with  built in DBX.

				Have Fun...
				Derek S. Keeping
				{allegra,utcsri,inhp4}!garfield!derek2

rjd@linus.UUCP (Robert DeBenedictis) (04/22/85)

The TEAC PC-7RX "Partner" Stereo Cassette player had dBX.
I say 'had' because the model has been discontinued.  However,
dBX sells an accessory, the PPA-1, that can be attatched to
any portable to achieve dBX decoding.  I think it goes for ~$40.
Good Luck.

Robert DeBenedictis

dca@edison.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (04/22/85)

> REFERENCES:  <1115@rocksvax.UUCP>
>
> 	Yes, please, someone must know of such a beast. I have been
> looking for months. All I have heard (rumors) that it does exist
> and might be available from AIWA or PANASONIC.
>
> 				R. Kevin Laux
> 				Software Vendor Tech Support
> 				ATTIS Lincroft
> 				ahuta!rkl

Oh CRAP!,  I just went to all the trouble of mailing this and now
I found I should have posted it since more than one person seems
to be interested.

Panasonic is the place to look for dbx walkmans.  J&R Music World
in NYC has listed the dbx WAY.

    $124.95
    Panasonic RQ-J20X Cassette Stereo-to-Go with DBX NR
    Mini stereo cassette player with DBX noise reduction
    system. AC/Battery opteration with optional AC adaptor
    (RP-34). DBX in/out switch.  3 position tape EQ selector:
    (metal high/low normal high/low). Auto tape stop. Cue and
    review. Lockable pause control. Mic on switch. LED battery
    indicator. Built-in condenser mic. Optional rechargeable
    battery pack (RP-009). Includes: Single cord stereo headphones,
    demo tape, carrying case with belt.  Jacks: headpones, DC in.
    Charcoal brown.....Retail $189.95....YOUR COST $124.95

I have seen these locally in a mid-fi stereo store (Charlottesville VA)
so you might be able to find them around.  If you want to order from
J&R their number is (1-800-221-8180).

David Albrecht
General Electric