[net.audio] Programmability cost

mjs@cmu-cs-g.ARPA (Mark Stehlik) (04/21/85)

I have been meaning to ask this one for a while now:  why is it that there
is a $100 difference between two seemingly identical CD players which differ
only in their respective degree of programmability?  A recent post about
the Sony 102/302 convinced me to post this query.  I would think that the
'parts' necessary to introduce even a high degree of programmability to a
CD player should cost no more than $10.  So why the $100 difference in the
retail price.  Are there other 'design' or 'performance' improvements as we
move up the product line?

				Mark
ARPA:  mjs@cmu-cs-g

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (04/22/85)

In article <259@cmu-cs-g.ARPA> mjs@cmu-cs-g.ARPA (Mark Stehlik) writes:
>I have been meaning to ask this one for a while now:  why is it that there
>is a $100 difference between two seemingly identical CD players which differ
>only in their respective degree of programmability?
>
>				Mark

most programmable CD players of the same manufacturer close in price
and features to a nonprogrammable one do have the programming hardware
(digital control) inside.  the buttons and other parts may cost only
$10, but after adding in profit margins by the various handlers, and
the real or imagined valued of programmability, $100 is about right.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (04/22/85)

> I have been meaning to ask this one for a while now:  why is it that there
> is a $100 difference between two seemingly identical CD players which differ
> only in their respective degree of programmability?

Because that's what people are willing to pay for the feature.

Suppose you're making CD players and you want to sell two models:
one with programmability and one without.  People will pay $500
for the one with it and $300 for the one without it.  Even if the
two units cost you the same to manufacture, you can't charge the
same for them because otherwise no one would by the non-programmable
one.

You are naive if you think manufacturing costs are the only things
that determine retail prices.

dca@edison.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (04/23/85)

> I have been meaning to ask this one for a while now:  why is it that there
> is a $100 difference between two seemingly identical CD players which differ
> only in their respective degree of programmability?  A recent post about
> the Sony 102/302 convinced me to post this query.  I would think that the
> 'parts' necessary to introduce even a high degree of programmability to a
> CD player should cost no more than $10.  So why the $100 difference in the
> retail price.  Are there other 'design' or 'performance' improvements as we
> move up the product line?

Because Retail vs. cost is usually a multiplier not a add on amount.
Expect ~ retail = 5*cost.

David Albrecht
General Electric

sasaki@harvard.ARPA (Marty Sasaki) (04/24/85)

> > I have been meaning to ask this one for a while now:  why is it that there
> > is a $100 difference between two seemingly identical CD players which differ
> > only in their respective degree of programmability?
>
> Because that's what people are willing to pay for the feature.

A good example of this is telephones. If you compare the cost of a
rotary AT&T telephone with a touch-tone telephone you will see that the
touch-tone is more expensive, even though rotary phones are more
expensive to make. Touch tone service is cheaper as well. You pay more
because people are willing to pay more.
--
----------------
  Marty Sasaki				net:   sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}

klein@ucbcad.UUCP (04/24/85)

> why is it that there
> is a $100 difference between two seemingly identical CD players which differ
> only in their respective degree of programmability?

Marketing strategy.  Offer a family of products, priced at the "perceived
value" of the product.
--

		-Mike Klein
		...!ucbvax!ucbmerlin:klein	(UUCP)

bobg@persci.UUCP (04/24/85)

> the Sony 102/302 convinced me to post this query.  I would think that the
> 'parts' necessary to introduce even a high degree of programmability to a
> CD player should cost no more than $10.  So why the $100 difference in the
> retail price.  Are there other 'design' or 'performance' improvements as we
> move up the product line?

It's because 90% of the people buying the product don't know that they are
paying $90 for a couple more lines on the list of features.  After all,
that's what America is all about isn't it... MARKETING (I wish this was
a :-) comment).

Bob Gunderson   (~uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bobg)