[net.chess] World Chess Championship aborted

aouriri@ittvax.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri) (02/15/85)

The world championship match between Karpov and Kasparov has
been aborted after 48 games, with Karpov leading Kasparov 5 to 3.
The match will be replayed next September with the same rule
(the first to reach 6 wins is declared champ) but with a
limit of 24 games.
If after 24 games the players are tied, the match will continue
one game a time, until one game is won. That is, the first to
win a game after 24 games will be declared champ.
This is the proposal of the International Chess federation,
as reported by news agencies.

dfw@ll1.UUCP (Dan Webster) (02/17/85)

I got a chance to see some of the news conference called by the
FIDE... Kasparov seemed none-to-thrilled with all involved! This
fiasco ought to shake up the chess world but good! I guess we will
read more about it in the September! issue of Chess Life.

	What Next!

		D.F.Webster

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (02/17/85)

In article <1624@ittvax.UUCP> aouriri@ittvax.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri) writes:
||If after 24 games the players are tied, the match will continue
||one game a time, until one game is won. That is, the first to
||win a game after 24 games will be declared champ.

That sounds like an insane rule to me. As soon as a player
is down a couple of games, he'll play the next 24-N to a
draw (not losing more than 3) and start from scratch in sudden-death!

I realize that under the old rules, as soon as a player had a
lead he'd force draws to give himself a victory, but this is
even worse. There's gotta be a better way!

Dave Sherman
--
{utzoo pesnta nrcaero utcs}!lsuc!dave
{allegra decvax ihnp4 linus}!utcsrgv!lsuc!dave

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (02/19/85)

In article <415@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
>|| If after 24 games the players are tied, the match will continue
>|| one game a time, until one game is won. That is, the first to
>|| win a game after 24 games will be declared champ.
>
>That sounds like an insane rule to me. As soon as a player
>is down a couple of games, he'll play the next 24-N to a
>draw (not losing more than 3) and start from scratch in sudden-death!

Ummm ... Dave ... notice the key phrase "the players are tied". They
must be tied at the end of the normal series in order to go into
sudden-death (just like a hockey game! :-) ).  So playing to draw when
you're down would just ensure your loss.  This is much better than the
old system where matches draw out for ever and ever.  Under this
system, I believe Kasparov would have won as I think Karpov won his
five games fairly quickly before they started drawing.

In any case, even if the new system is *much* better by quantum leaps,
there is *no way* they should interrupt an ongoing match.  RULES
SHOULD NOT BE CHANGED IN MID-GAME!  Rumours say that Karpov is
beginning to suffer from mental illness due to the pressure --- is
this the reasoning behind the ICF's decision: they don't want Kasparov
to win?

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982

dpb@philabs.UUCP (Paul Benjamin) (02/21/85)

Big deal. This is just a match for the title of second-best
chess player in the world, anyway.
				Paul Benjamin