[net.audio] Walkman Type Tape Players with Dolby-C or dBX?

med@astrovax.UUCP (Mark Dickinson) (04/22/85)

> I'm in the market for a Walkman type tape player which features
> dBX noise reduction.  Does anyone know of such a beast?  Thanks,
>
> /Don

And I am in the market for a Walkmen-type tape player which features
Dolby-C. Even more, I really really want a small, portable unit that will
RECORD and that has Dolby-C. I have seen and heard some older Aiwa recording
portables that made excellent quality recordings, but tape hiss was of course
still a problem. Does anyone make such gadgets, or does anyone know whether
these things are in the making and likely to appear soon?

				My thanks in advance,

				Mark Dickinson (med@astrovax)

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (04/23/85)

[]
You want the Sony WM-D6C which has DOLBY B and C, records and is a
semi-professional unit. Costs between $226-250 from various mail
order houses. includes earphones but not microphones. Works
great.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

tracy@hcradm.UUCP (Tracy Tims) (04/23/85)

Sony makes the WM DC6, one of the two "professional" models, that has Dolby B/C
and will record.  It's got excellent sound, with notably low wow and flutter
for such a small beast.  I have a friend who has one. I have the WM DC2, the
other "professional" model (play only), and it has the best sound of any tape
Walkman I've heard.  Both seem to represent the latest design refinement of
their respective lines (WM2 -> WM DD -> WM DC2 (the three are very similar).
I think the WM DC6 derives from the WM F6, but I am not sure.

In some circles, the DC6 seems to be the standard machine for bootlegging
concerts if you can't afford a Nagra.

                              Tracy Tims    ihnp4!utzoo!hcr!hcradm!tracy
   Human Computing Resources Corporation         utcsri!hcr!hcradm!tracy
 Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  416 922-1937          dciem!hcr!hcradm!tracy

cliff@unmvax.UUCP (04/24/85)

> I really really want a small, portable unit that will
> RECORD and that has Dolby-C.

I have a Sony WM-D6C that does the job nicely.  I think you can get them
for between $200 and $300.  The WM-D6 is an older version (also known as
the Walkman Professional) that has Dolby B but not Dolby C.  The D6-C
has both.

					--Cliff

dca@edison.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (04/24/85)

> > I'm in the market for a Walkman type tape player which features
> > dBX noise reduction.  Does anyone know of such a beast?  Thanks,
> >
> > /Don
>
> And I am in the market for a Walkmen-type tape player which features
> Dolby-C. Even more, I really really want a small, portable unit that will
> RECORD and that has Dolby-C. I have seen and heard some older Aiwa recording
> portables that made excellent quality recordings, but tape hiss was of course
> still a problem. Does anyone make such gadgets, or does anyone know whether
> these things are in the making and likely to appear soon?
>
> 				My thanks in advance,
>
> 				Mark Dickinson (med@astrovax)

I can sort of help you here.  If you want Dolby C, Sony is your only choice.
Sony makes two models which sport Dolby C.  The WM-D6C Walkman "PRO" at
$249.95 from J&R in NYC and WM-DC2 $149.95 (same place).  Both units come
with MDR-40L's have quartz lock drives tape selectors (norm, metal)
counter inertial flywheels and
Dolby B&C.  The WM-DC2 uses 2 AA's the WM-D6C uses 4 AA's.  The WM-DC2 looks
to be a relatively small unit the WM-D6C is roughly 6in by 2in and is fairly
heavy.   The difference is that the WM-DC2 is a normal walkman with the
additional features of Dolby C and Quartz drive and as such is probably
pretty small, light, and battery efficient.
The D6C, however, is basically a small full featured cassette
recorder including all the above features plus recording (the real level
set kind not the auto-level kind), real frequency specified performance
(30-15k+-3db), records norm, chrome, and yes even metal tapes, pitch
control, it also sucks batterys for lunch (4AA's akalines last 6 hrs).

I'm quoting J&R just because I have their catalog handy probably a lot
of places carry the two units so you might do well to shop around.
Buy a stereo review and call around.  The number for J&R, however,
is (800)221-8180

David Albrecht
General Electric

cliff@unmvax.UUCP (04/25/85)

> [the WM-D6C] includes earphones but not microphones.

When I bought my D6-C it did not include earphones, although my
older D6 did.  My warranty was in Japanese, so the difference could
be related to different packaging for different countries (even
though I bought mine in the U.S.).

				--Cliff

les@vaxwaller.UUCP (Les Dittert) (04/26/85)

> In some circles, the DC6 seems to be the standard machine for bootlegging
> concerts if you can't afford a Nagra.
>
>                               Tracy Tims    ihnp4!utzoo!hcr!hcradm!tracy
>    Human Computing Resources Corporation         utcsri!hcr!hcradm!tracy
>  Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  416 922-1937          dciem!hcr!hcradm!tracy

A Nagra ! I used one of those when I did the sound for a movie. The only
reason to use a Nagra is for syncing with your film transport. The
sound quality is not that hot, and it is bulky and hard to control.
Nagra's should have gone out with 'swiss watches' .

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (04/27/85)

[]
My remark about the WM-D6C including earphones may have been wrong. What
I should have said was the WM-D6 includes them, I don't know about the
WM-D6C. However, since the dolby C chip can't be free, and the price is
about the same, perhaps they swapped the chip for the phones.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (04/28/85)

In article <818@unmvax.UUCP> cliff@unmvax.UUCP writes:
>> [the WM-D6C] includes earphones but not microphones.
>
>When I bought my D6-C it did not include earphones, although my
>older D6 did.  My warranty was in Japanese, so the difference could
>be related to different packaging for different countries (even
>though I bought mine in the U.S.).
>
>				--Cliff

i bought my D6C in Canada (and paid considerably more for it 8-() and it
comes with the MDR-40L headphones.  since I already had MDR-50's, the
standard headphone for the D6, i did some comparison between the two.
most noticeable is the improved bass response of the 50's compared to
the included 40L's.  i also find the 50's more comfortable.  the L suffix
denotes a short cord for WM usage.  my 50's have the long cord for home
stereo usage, though i rarely take them off my Walkman.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu